What's new

Catching Fire 2013 (The Hunger Games sequel) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Teaser trailer is out:

I was a little worried when Gary Ross announced he wasn't coming back, because he was crucial to making the first film what it was. I enjoyed Francis Lawrence's pilot for "Touch", and "I Am Legend" was a perfectly decent if forgettable film. I was worried the political undertones would be played down and we'd end up with a CG bonanza a la I Am Legend or Constantine. From that teaser, though, the political undertones seem more present than ever, and the gritty look of the first film is still there.

I thought the second book was the weakest of the three, so there's definite room for leeway in the adaptation. Particularly because the book is told exclusively from Katniss's perspective, and a lot of the most interesting stuff that happens during the story happens away from Katniss's eyes and ears.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I haven't read the books, but I enjoyed the first one and this definitely has my interest. Looks good.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Surprisingly, I like the moments that were not in the book. Catching Fire is completely from Katniss perspective; so the scenes that show how they plot her downfall, and why all the past victors were called to the games helps clarify those choices in the book which seemed very arbitrary.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It will be intriguing to see how much tweaking is done in the sequels. The 2nd & 3rd books are a substantial drop below the first book. Katniss loses her agency and is reduced to an unwitting pawn for the remainder of the series.

If the film series can correct that major character faux pas alone they will elevate themselves above the 2nd and third book.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought the second book was awesome, my favorite. I was underwhelmed by this trailer so I'm a bit worried.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The IMAX poster:
hungerp1.jpg

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That poster is pretty cool.

I haven't read the books, and have no plans to (I hear mostly "meh" things about them), but found the first movie to be a pleasant surprise.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Aaron Silverman said:
That poster is pretty cool.I haven't read the books, and have no plans to (I hear mostly "meh" things about them), but found the first movie to be a pleasant surprise.
The books were fantastic and an easy read.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
There are three 70mm IMAX theaters where I live but none are scheduled to play Catching Fire.The Dark Knight Rises and Star Trek Into Darkness were shown at these theaters, so why not Catching Fire?I will not support the digital exhibition of films shot on IMAX film.

Down with Lie-MAX!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If you go to the IMAX website, it only lists one or two theaters that are still showing Gravity.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a return IMAX engagement in a few months when there isn't some new blockbuster on the schedule.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Emailed IMAX, got a response...
Dear Brian,Thank you for contacting IMAX Corporation. Each of the IMAX Theatres you refer to below are owned and operated by the Smithsonian. Movies shown at these theatres are booked by the theatre in conjunction with the studio producing the movie. Please feel free to contact the theatres to determine why they are not showing The Hunger Games: Catching Fire The IMAX Experience. Contact information for each theatre can be found using the 'IMAX Theatres' section of www.IMAX.com.Best regards,IMAX Corporation
I called the D.C. Smithsonian IMAX Box Office and left a message with a supervisor. I'll try again next week to see if they can give me any information regarding the circumstances that prevented this natively shot IMAX film from being exhibited properly in an IMAX film theater.

Real Name
Matt Belson
Aaron Silverman said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a return IMAX engagement in a few months when there isn't some new blockbuster on the schedule.
IMAX has their screens pretty well booked until April. After Catching Fire, they have The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug in December; I, Frankenstein in late January; Robocop in February; 300: Rise of an Empire and Divergent in March. Only a documentary on Lemurs (narrated by Morgan Freeman of course) is currently listed for April. I'd bet money that Captain America 2 gets some IMAX time, although it has yet to be announced.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
see this movie in IMAX! The entire games portion of the film was shot with IMAX cameras.

There was a solid 35 minutes of straight IMAX footage without interruption.

FWIW, i saw this at the Air And Space Museum in VA on IMAX 70mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks