1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Catch-Up' titles - Released HD-DVDs that have yet to get a Blu-ray release (US Only)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brandon Conway, Oct 28, 2008.

1. 1 of 412 Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016 at 3:34 PM
    Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I thought this might be a good topic and/or reference.

There have been several HD-DVDs released by Warner, Universal, Weinstein/Genius, etc. that have yet to see a counterpart Blu-ray release (speaking only of the US). The following is a list of all of them. (If I have neglected any, please let me know. Also, if a smaller company's release was HD-DVD only please let me know and I'll add that, too).

Total: 36

BCI Eclipse (4)

My Favorite Brunette
    Road to Bali
    Road to Rio
    Son of Paleface

City Lights (1)

The Ten

Rhino (1)

James Taylor: A MusiCares Person of the Year Tribute

Universal (25)

Accepted
    American Me
    Balls of Fury
    Breach
    Carlito's Way: Rise to Power
    Evening
    For Love of the Game
    The Getaway (1992)
    Half Baked
    The Hitcher (2007)
    Hollywoodland
    In Good Company
    The Interpreter
    Midnight Run - coming to Blu-ray 7/19/16 (via Shout Factory)
    Mr. Bean's Holiday
    Nutty Professor II: The Klumps
    Patch Adams
    The Pianist
    The River (1984)
    Slither (2006)
    Streets of Fire
    Talk to Me
    The War
    The Wedding Date
    White Noise 2

Warner (3)

The Dukes of Hazzard (2005)
    Smallville - Season 5
    Troy (Theatrical Cut)

Weinstein/Genius (2)

School for Scoundrels (2006)
    Wolf Creek

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Well-Known Member

Paul
    I guess I can say--thank goodness I have a couple of HD DVD players (I own a good chunk of those titles--all the ones I want, anyway). It will be interesting to see how quickly (or not) some of these titles come to BD. I suspect some of the catalogue titles like Grand Prix and Mutiny on the Bounty may take a while.

3. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I suspect Smallville Season 5 and Troy (Theatrical Cut) may never see the light of day on Blu-ray.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

Man, Universal on HD DVD was awesome. It seemed like a new and nifty catalog title or three was released every week, and even the ones I didn't care for, I could see people wanting. I hope they (or someone!) gets into that sort of groove with Blu-ray soon.

5. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

There's a number of Universal titles I want on BD from that list.

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I think it will be awhile before we see a lot of the Universal titles on the list due to sales numbers. Catalog is still selling at just a fraction of new release numbers. I would anticipate the F&F movies coming out when the new movie they are working on is released. They did hint at the HTF meet last week that they would be focusing on some catalog in 2009 so I guess you never know.

7. Southpaw

Southpaw Well-Known Member

I have to question Universal's commitment to releasing already on HD DVD catalogs on BD when they aren't even releasing the extended cut of Waterworld on Blu at the same time it's releasing on standard def.

8. Timothy E

Timothy E Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    Terminator 2 should also be on the list. The extended director's cut of Terminator 2: Judgment Day was released on HD DVD in the UK, France, and Germany. Although T2 has been released here on Blu-Ray, it is the shorter theatrical cut.

Since HD DVD has no region codes, the European HD DVDs will play in American players.

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I dunno, Uni seems to release things in floods, I think we will be pleasantly surprised and I will be swamped with re-reviews =)

10. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Van Ling has been hinting in his Insider's Forum that we may see a flood of James Cameron titles on BD soon. Since Cameron has a new movie coming out Summer 09, we may see the first wave, most likely FOX titles, in Q4 09, to coincide with the DVD and BD releases ov Avatar.
    That's just my personal opinion.

11. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I think the already overstressed BD replication facilities plus the fact that many of the older catalog titles may require new masters and/or recompression for BD may also be playing a factor in the apparent slowdown of releases across all of the studios.
    With no format war, there is no apparent rush to get as many titles out, as well.

12. Southpaw

Southpaw Well-Known Member

I hope so, Todd. Last week when the group was at Fox, I meant to ask them about 'True Lies' on BD but I forgot.

13. Jason Seaver

It doesn't look like City Lights's The Ten has hit Blu-ray yet.
    I also don't anticipate Region-A releases of my UK imports of Brotherhood of the Wolf or In the Shadow of the Moon any time soon.

14. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Well-Known Member

bob kaplan
    Brandon, Thanks for going thru the trouble to compile that list. It is appreciated. Might Universal have been receiving "incentives" to place so many titles in the market at that time...that is is not receiving for Blu ray?

15. Jason Seaver

I think a good chunk of it was that you could press HD DVDs on standard DVD replication lines, so if they already had HD masters for cable/satellite, it was not terribly difficult or costly to put a bunch of catalog titles out.
    I do think Toshiba was sweetening the pot, but I also think that it was a pretty easy low-risk/decent-reward move on their part.
    Whatever the reason, I'm grateful for it. Who knows when the next opportunities to buy HD Streets of Fire and the like will come?

16. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    When it comes to Universal, I think the ones that make it out sooner rather than later are the obvious recent hits (Bourne films, King Kong), easy tie-ins (Fast and the Furious films, or something like Liar Liar and/or Bruce Almighty being released when a new Jim Carrey film is released like Yes Man), critical and/or award winners (The Pianist, Traffic, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), or historically well-selling catalog titles (Apollo 13, 12 Monkeys, Happy Gilmore).

17. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Updated - Universal will release Serenity 12/30/08

18. Paul.S

Paul.S Well-Known Member

Paul
    On the mark with your post #16, Brandon.

I could be pleasantly surprised but, as Adam mentioned, I question whether there's sales justification/motivation to (re-)release on BD some of the HD DVD exclusives I have: Inside Man (already has lossless) and The Pianist (despite its pedigree).

An arguable "kissing cousin" category of this topic is those HD DVDs that exceed their BD counterparts in some way and the (un)likelihood of the BDs getting re-released.

Higher rez aud on HD DVD than BD: Dreamgirls, all three M: I pics, Training Day (with a better transfer I'm told, as well).

True PIP on HD DVD (whereas the BD presents the supps 'out of band'): Azkaban, Blood Diamond.

19. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Well-Known Member

Wait, what?
    I can't believe you made those bolded statements with a straight face. Here's each month of the last two years, with the number of releases:
    Jan-0729
    Feb-0728
    Mar-0714
    Apr-0718
    May-0724
    Jun-0720
    Jul-0716
    Aug-0713
    Sep-0724
    Oct-0756
    Nov-0732
    Dec-0730
    Jan-0829
    Feb-0827
    Mar-0820
    Apr-0840
    May-0830
    Jun-0845
    Jul-0869
    Aug-0867
    Sep-08101
    Oct-08103
    Nov-08129
    Dec-0868 (and counting)
    In what world can an average increase of 157% in the number of releases--with most months seeing a doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling of year-to-year figures--be considered a "slowdown of releases across all of the studios" and "no apparent rush to get as many titles out"?!

20. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Boom.
    Now we just need new releases to permanently cost under $20 and the PS3 to go to $299 and we can put all of that worry about whether BD was gonna go mainstream behind us once and for all.