What's new

Cat proof speaker grill??? (2 Viewers)

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of building some columns that will contain speakers in my home theater and am worried that my cats will scratch the speaker grills at the bottom. Is there any material that is strong enough to resist minor scratching by a furious feline? In my wife's world, cats always win over the HT.

Thanks!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I trained my cat with a water gun.
It took some careful aim not to hit the speakers but she learned not to go near them. (I have to admit, it was almost fun catching her doing "bad" things -knowing I got to shoot her).

Marc H

Second Unit
Have you tried clipping the cat's claws?
It was a nightmare doing it the first time with my cat but now he loves his monthly clipping.

Erich S

Agent
My old ADS L620 speakers had metal grills which survived our cats. There may be places which sell acoustically (semi)tranparent metal grill you can mount in front of the speakers. Place a good scratching post near your speakers.

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
I just hate the idea of me spending $$$ on a speaker or speaker grill to have it mutilated by some claws.

We do the clipping and water gun training and they still scratch on stuff occasionaly. Big fan of the water-gun training BTW. Too bad my wife is opposed to the 22 rifle training. (J/K)

Like the scratch post idea - I'll build a cat scratch post thingy out of the leftover lumber and carpet and put it somewhere close to the speakers. This will not only protect my speakers, but score some points with my wife as well.

Are the metal grills accoustically transparent?

You guys rock!

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Metal grille with electrical charge. You'll need to apologize only once :D .

Doug

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
I have 4 cats and they started to scratch the TV cover on our 65 inch. I took those off and sprayed windex on them. Once a month take your cover off and go outsdie and spray a little windex on your cloth covers. They won't hurt the cloth and your cats stay away from them.

I have wild cats and water doesn't do anything to them..lol

Cheers
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks