What's new

Castle - season 5 thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Last night's rock star murder episode was an odd ball one. It was a chance for everyone to ham it up for the camera's on the documentary. So it made for fun comedy when everyone was so hogging the spotlight. Lots of good expressions. Just seemed too odd for the Captain herself to be so into it. Esposito changing to a tighter shirt, Ryan trying to be the nerve center, etc....
An odd episode.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, but I wasn't particularly in the mood for this kind of a lark episode, either. Having full access at the department and getting to go in when it was believed shots were fired was hard to believe.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think the motif for the episode wore out its welcome before the end. I got tired of all the mugging and posturing though I'm sure the actors had a blast doing the show. We also weren't given enough facts to be able to guess the murderer's identity before it was revealed.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, the discovery off the killer at the end was kind of a "wha.." we knew nothing about him, so it didn't connect with me at all. But the whole "it's a documentary crew" gets used so much everywhere I'd prefer to never see it again in any series. The Practice used the same trope last night.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I really disliked the documentary angle, especially because it was so poorly executed.
It was filmed like a traditional episode with multiple camera angles (3-4+) in the same room including quick cuts and close-ups, only using a hand-held camera. It completely pulled me out of any illusion that this was actual documentary footage of the investigation.
The story itself was ok, but the execution of the documentary style was lame.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I really enjoyed it, too. A good mystery and some interesting differences in the way the team was dealing with Christmas celebrations. And how spectacular was Rick Castle's apartment decorated! Took my breath away.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering why they did a Holiday episode so soon. And it looks like re-runs till January.
It was a nice ending where they both were willing to change their yearly traditions to be with each other.
I was hoping to see what Castle gave the captain, if it was a replacement doll he broke a few episodes ago.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Rick's inability to deal with the ex-wife (to even get a word in edgewise) got irritating to me after a time. I know it was being played for comedy with his discomfort and Beckett's mounting displeasure making him feel torn in two, but it got old fast for me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was over it before the opening credits. In fact, I made a note to see the writer's name, and was surprised it was one of the regulars.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The thing that didn't work for me was Kate asking Meredith why they got divorced. I mean, she's met Meredith. It's pretty obvious she's not the type to get tied down. When the baby came, Castle decided he needed to settle down and be a real parent while Meredith wasn't interested in that life. It reeked of creating an artificial obstacle. Yeah, Castle's father is a bit of a sore subject with him. But the entire rest of his life is a pretty open book. I certainly don't see him as particularly withholding in the way the show tried to make him out to be.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
It's been announced that
James Brolin
will be playing Castle's Father. Hopefully we will start getting some answers that Jennifer Beals hinted at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks