What's new

Casablanca 70th Anniversary Limited Edition Box Set (1 Viewer)

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
No way am I shelling out for this...I already own the previous blu-ray box set (the one with the toys inside).

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This may be off-topic, but is there a recommended DVD release of Farewell, My Lovely, in any region?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Not in the USA, no. Pioneer released a full-screen DVD in 1998 but it quickly went out of print. I bought the Carlton DVD from the U.K. (released in 2000) which like the Pioneer is VHS quality. There have been recent releases in Germany and France, but I haven't seen those. Links: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6305460175/dvdaficionado http://www.amazon.co.uk/Farewell-Lovely-DVD-Robert-Mitchum/dp/B00004S8JF/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1326309616&sr=1-5 http://www.amazon.de/Fahr-H%C3%B6lle-Liebling-Robert-Mitchum/dp/B000EQ445W/ref=pd_cp_d_0 http://www.amazon.fr/Adieu-ma-jolie-Robert-Mitchum/dp/B001UKY55K/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1326310051&sr=1-5 I remember renting the laser disc. That looked pretty good.

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon Canada sells a French version, " Adieu Ma Jolie " ( Farewell My Lovely) with a good 16x9 anamorphic transfer with 2 ch. stereo audio in French only, for $8.99. I bought it hoping that there would be English subtitles, but there isn't.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those interested, Casablanca will be showing on March 21st in certain movie theaters across America. Another promotion for this upcoming BRD release. I'll probably go because Casablanca is one of me all-time favorites and would love to see it on the big screen.

Crawdaddy

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Robert Crawford said:
For those interested, Casablanca will be showing on March 21st in certain movie theaters across America.  Another promotion for this upcoming BRD release.  I'll probably go because Casablanca is one of me all-time favorites and would love to see it on the big screen. Crawdaddy
A local theater is showing it and my wife and I are going. It's one of my all time favorites also and like you, I'm looking forward to seeing it on a big screen.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

Is this going to be a digital broadcast or are the theaters getting prints?

If past experience is any indication, this will be a digital broadcast fed by satellite. In my opinion, not as good as a 35mm print but still worthwhile if the presentation is handled well (unfortunately a Wizard of Oz showing I attended kept losing the signal at the beginning).

I have seen Casablanca in 35mm and even though the print had some wear, it was truly a grand experience seeing one of my all time favorites on the big screen (and it was a very big screen). The local theater that showed it did a great job bringing back some of the classics. Unfortunately community support was minimal and the theater closed in the mid to late 2000s. The owner told me that home video killed his audience for anything that wasn't a first run feature.

I hope they finally crop one shot more correctly...when Rick is writing the check, the year is almost cropped off of all home video releases. I have seen a picture of this frame and it should show "1941." I feel that it is important picture info. JMO.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yes, Steve, thanks. It appears that it will be showing near me. Now to clear the schedule.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Johnny Angell said:
If anyone has a link listing where Casablanca will be playing, please post it.
Go here: http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/casablanca.aspx Enter your zip code to find a theatre in your area.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It sounds like a bunch of people are planning on going to see this great film in a movie theater.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I saw it on the big screen when it played nationwide here in Canada in 2010. It was great, and enhanced my enjoyment of this film immeasurably.

I saw it twice on the big screen: the first time at an old local movie house for its 50th Anniversary, then again during a film festival at our IMAX theater.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
eric scott richard said:
I hope they finally crop one shot more correctly...when Rick is writing the check, the year is almost cropped off of all home video releases. I have seen a picture of this frame and it should show "1941." I feel that it is important picture info. JMO.
The current Blu-Ray (single disc) has this on the check - 2 Decembre 41 It seems like it is cropped correctly. David

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks