What's new

Directors Cary Grant Centennial Film Tourney (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m really intrigued that not very many people seem to be either interested or qualified to vote in theis tournament. It is pretty easy to make a case for Cary Grant being one of the best screen actors ever. The more so if box-office appeal is taken into account.

Is he largely forgotten already?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure Lew, though I'll admit I did think there'd be more participation. I did expect quite a few abstains in the first round, but not any longer. Personally I think many folks here have seen him in a handful of films, though not the same ones, and don't generally appreciate him as much as I (or you) do. For me, he's right up there with Bogart for favorite actor (though I have tons of others I love also).

Lew, are you abstaining this time?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
After I see every foreign film ever made, I'm planning on a couple of years of vigorous TCM watching. I should be ready for your Humphrey Bogart tournament in 2040, George.
;)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

God, I certainly hope not!

I completely agree that Cary Grant is one of the best screen actors ever, and he has become one of my very favorite actors of all time during the last couple of years (hey, there's something else that George and I agree on!).

That being said, I do feel that there are many of his films that I still need to see. This is actually a good thing for me, since I will be able to enjoy watching some of these movies for the first time.

After going through this thread, I have added several of the movies in this tourney to my Netflix Queue.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rob, been awhile. How you doin?

Brook,

Well I have to admit that even by 2040, I doubt if I'll have seen every foreign film ever made. :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Cary Grant is an amazing actor. He has screen presence and charm, which is something that is sorely missing these days. I still Clooney comes the closest in the modern era.

Jeff Gross

Second Unit
To Catch a Thief

Cary Grant is my favorite actor. I have seen 19 of his films but I still have had to abstain from most of the rounds in this tournament.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
In retrospect, a 32 film tournament was probably overly optimistic :) The good news is, by the next round (8 films left) there should be very little abstaining, even Brook will get to vote in 3 of the 4 match-ups (unless this current match-up takes a decided turn).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
To Catch a Thief wins.

Calling Brook...as I said, you can vote in 3 of the next 4 match-ups :)

Next,

North by Northwest vs. His Girl Friday

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
North by Northwest , easily one of the best movies ever made, in no small part due to Grant's performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks