What's new

Cartridge Laserdiscs? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
A better analogy is that these are the 8-track tape of video formats. But that's why I love 'em, all 1200 or so in my collection (I've got almost every title and won't quit til I get 'em all!)
If everything had gone as planned though, these would have been the dominant video format, at least up til the 1990s. They intended to get them on the market in the mid 70's, but didn't come out til 1981, when VCRs were already becoming commonplace and laserdisc was just trying to find its place in the market.
The biggest problem with CEDs is that they skip- all of a sudden it'll jump forward a few seconds, usually during important dialogue. While the later players handle skipping better than the earlier ones, it was really stupid of them to let them on the market until they had gotten rid of the skipping problem entirely. The quality isn't anything to write home about either- on a modern TV the picture looks rather jaggedy, so it's a toss-up between that and VHS- doesn't even compare to laserdisc! The sound on some of them is pretty good though. They made both mono and stereo players though, so the mono ones are only good for spare parts to fix a broken stereo one.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
A better analogy is that these are the 8-track tape of video formats. But that's why I love 'em, all 1200 or so in my collection (I've got almost every title and won't quit til I get 'em all!)
If everything had gone as planned though, these would have been the dominant video format, at least up til the 1990s. They intended to get them on the market in the mid 70's, but didn't come out til 1981, when VCRs were already becoming commonplace and laserdisc was just trying to find its place in the market.
The biggest problem with CEDs is that they skip- all of a sudden it'll jump forward a few seconds, usually during important dialogue. While the later players handle skipping better than the earlier ones, it was really stupid of them to let them on the market until they had gotten rid of the skipping problem entirely. The quality isn't anything to write home about either- on a modern TV the picture looks rather jaggedy, so it's a toss-up between that and VHS- doesn't even compare to laserdisc! The sound on some of them is pretty good though. They made both mono and stereo players though, so the mono ones are only good for spare parts to fix a broken stereo one.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Well I wish the VHD format would have came out in the US, I still think it was a much better system than CED. I never had any skipping problems with them. Great for 3D titles. Too many formats in the US at the time who could compete (DiscoVision, CED, VHS, Beta) so VHD never made it here. I still have a huge collection of VHD and CED. Heck I even have the rare Return of the Jedi on CED!! I'd buy any format, I'm a format whore!! I like baing able to play any format!

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Well I wish the VHD format would have came out in the US, I still think it was a much better system than CED. I never had any skipping problems with them. Great for 3D titles. Too many formats in the US at the time who could compete (DiscoVision, CED, VHS, Beta) so VHD never made it here. I still have a huge collection of VHD and CED. Heck I even have the rare Return of the Jedi on CED!! I'd buy any format, I'm a format whore!! I like baing able to play any format!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I briefly owned a CED player in 1983, before returning it for a laserdisc player. The reason -- the discs frequently skipped. They looked better than VHS, but not quite as good as a CAV laserdisc.

But, yes, Adam, they're right -- those aren't laserdiscs you have, but RCA Selectivision CED videodiscs, played with a needle like a vinyl record. No laser was used at all. CED stands for Capitance Electronic Disc.

They are a neat collectible, though.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I briefly owned a CED player in 1983, before returning it for a laserdisc player. The reason -- the discs frequently skipped. They looked better than VHS, but not quite as good as a CAV laserdisc.

But, yes, Adam, they're right -- those aren't laserdiscs you have, but RCA Selectivision CED videodiscs, played with a needle like a vinyl record. No laser was used at all. CED stands for Capitance Electronic Disc.

They are a neat collectible, though.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
CEDs were sold from 1981 til 1986- First title pressed (released with several others on launch day) was Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown; last title was Jewel Of The Nile (followed by a commemorative "Memories Of Videodisc" given to RCA employees after the plant was shut down- I paid $200 for my copy!)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
CEDs were sold from 1981 til 1986- First title pressed (released with several others on launch day) was Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown; last title was Jewel Of The Nile (followed by a commemorative "Memories Of Videodisc" given to RCA employees after the plant was shut down- I paid $200 for my copy!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks