What's new

'Carson Collection' Now in Stores (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Based on previous threads, I thought the ' Carson Collection' DVD's used to be available exclusively via mail order. However, this week, my local Tower Records (in Southern California) had volumes 1-3 (sold as a single set) in stock.

Question: how many (total) volumes, beyond the first 3, have already been released to DVD?

Thanks.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I'm passing on this set. The clips are much too short and there are also problems with background music being changed because of royalty problems.

I've had better luck getting full-length programs from the Carson vault on VHS which are a lot more interesting then the clips used on this set.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned this item being in stores in my Weekly Roundup 10/14 post over in the Coupons/Bargains section. I even linked to my review of the set I did for TVShowsOnDVD last year. I highly recommend and enjoy the set, and it can be had for $40 at some warehouse stores (read through the responses in that thread for complete info). I'm not aware of any music being changed; if it was done then it was subtle and I missed it.

Everything is highly enjoyable to me, especically the look back at Johnny's youth and the terrific last couple of episodes, which are presented in their entirety. The clips presented on the first 3 features (first 1.5 discs) are a terrific representation of his career. It would be hard to say that there are any better that could have been chosen, and anyone who feels that way...well, it's just a matter of opinion, that's all.

I really can't recommend this set enough. Best Buy sells it with an exclusive (to retailers) bonus disc, "Animal Hijinks", but you pay about $25 more for that version. Heck, for the same $25 you can go to JohnnyCarson.com and order both the Hijinks disc AND the Tonight Show Memories disc together! :eek: Or get the Hijinks alone for $16.99! Another example of the wonderfulness of Best Buy exclusives...but that's another thread. :)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I bought this set for $39.95 from Costco. I fully concur with Dave's opinion about it. I know I will go back to it to recreate the good feelings of this most extraordinary of entertainers in my lifetime. Television is a cultural phenomenon and some of these memories prove that it can enlighten and 'entertain' in a very positive way as well.

Joel

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I think the reference to music changes stemmed from the last episode. The VHS version of this set cut an entire segment that featured musical guests from throughout the show's history.

Has that segment been restored to DVD?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
the terrific last couple of episodes, which are presented in their entirety.
Actually, the second-to-last show is missing the Ed Ames clip, which was shown in the segment between the monologue and Robin Williams. But the Ed Ames clip is on the first disc of the collection. I also wish that they would have included the whole Tonto job interview.

For $40 at Costco, this is a no-brainer. I put on the first disc for my usual Friday Night gathering, and we couldn't stop watching it.

- Steve

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The best moments also has altered music in these two incidents.

1-In the famous President Reagan "Who's On First?" sketch, the original played "Hail To The Chief" when Johnny entered as Reagan.

2-In the take-off of "Patton" you also heard a playing of Jerry Goldsmith's music from the movie when Johnny entered.

It's far more fun to get the complete shows out of the vault. I've found a lot of collectors willing to trade them and I now have more than 75 complete shows from the 60s on (including the complete Tiny Tim wedding show from December 1969 as well as the April 1977 show when Ed was totally smashed)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Does anyone know if this is available in Canada. Years ago I used to own the 3-volume VHS collection, and I literally couldn't get enough of it. I'd love to get a hold of these on DVD. If anyone knows of any Canadian retailers who may be selling this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Can someone upload cover art for this to dvdcoverart.com ? I'd like to convert my set to a slim triple case.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Andrew,

The Ultimate Carson set is available at amazon.ca here. It's listed as an IMPORT, but they should be able to get it in for you. The only times I've seen problems ordering IMPORT titles is when there's a corresponding non-IMPORT version.

A bit pricey now that it's release date has passed though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am at work right now so I can't check
on what I got, but I bought the JOHNNY
CARSON COLLECTION for about $80-$90 through
mail-order about two years ago.

I think it was a 3-DVD set in a big black case.

It looks exactly like the IMPORT shown in
the AMAZON link above.

Is this the same thing they are now selling
at outlets for $40? If so, I sort of feel
like I have been violated without having
the privilege of removing my clothes first. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ron, what I've seen in stores is EXACTLY what I reviewed reviewed more than a year ago (open shot of the package here)...identical package and content.

And what can I say about the pricing? There are items I bought at full price a year ago - which I haven't gotten around to watching yet in some cases! - that I see in Wal-Mart's $5.88 bargain bin. Shucks.

But I REALLY enjoyed the Carson Collection, and have watched it several times. Worth it at $80, and a steal at $40 (if you are a member of Costco or Sam's).

Frankly hadn't realized music was missing or replaced. At this juncture I'm starting to take that sort of thing for granted. Gord was recently interviewed about that very subject, in fact!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

Thanks.

Just read Gord's review the other day in
VIDEO STORE magazine. Very cool.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I missed that (since my paper-copy subscription to VSM ran out, and for some reason my attempt to re-subscribe seems to have been ignored).

What review was that he got published there? The bum never mentioned it to me! :eek: Which issue (dates) was it in, and for what product?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Now that this set is being rushed back to retail I have a question:

What exactly, if anything, is missing in the next to last episode (with Bette Midler)? She sang "One For My Baby" and (I think) "I'll Be Seeing You" as well as an impromptu duet with Johnny on "Here's that Rainy Day". Did all of these make it to the DVD? It would be a great shame if any, especially "One for my Baby", got cut.

Also, do the Carson Club tapes (available at johnnycarson.com) include entire episodes or are they the "Classic Carson" shows that were syndicated several years back?

Many thanks!

Steve

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
Finally saw this available today at the local video store here in Canada. Is there anything wrong with this set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks