What's new

Cars 2 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mikael Soderholm

Much as I love Pixar, I must see their movies differently from many others, Up! was boring and uninteresting, TS3 was way too sentimental and not as good as the first two, Wall-E was good during the first half, but went all mushy during the second, Finding Nemo is one of my absolute favorites, along with Monsters, Inc.

You and me both. "Cars" and "Finding Nemo" are my favorite Pixar films. I've never understood all the gushing over the TS series (I guess I find Tim Allen equally as irritating as some find Larry the Cable Guy), and was quite disappointed with the past few Pixar films (WALL-E, Up, and TS3).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll be going to see this soon. I'm sure I'll like this one as I haven't really seen a bad Pixar film yet. In fact, CARS (which is bashed on the most) is actually one of my favorite films in the Pixar series. I've spun CARS a lot more than any of the TOY STORY flicks. The only other two Pixars that I spin as much as CARS is RATATOUILLE and THE INCREDIBLES.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Cars 2 is by no means a bad film. I think it is the least accomplished, story-telling wise, Pixar film to date. But it's still a 3 star film. And it is technically amazing. It's just truly a kid's film. Nothing wrong with that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Mayer said:
Cars 2 is by no means a bad film. I think it is the least accomplished, story-telling wise, Pixar film to date. But it's still a 3 star film. And it is technically amazing. It's just truly a kid's film. Nothing wrong with that.
You articulated it much better than I could but that's how I feel as well.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
CARS 2 was quite a change from CARS. All of the introspection present in the first film was basically jettisoned for this entry. I thought the film was entertaining enough but it definitely is not as good as CARS was; although, I have to give them credit for producing a sequel that really is different from the original film. At least, they didn't repeat themselves with this entry. It is also interesting that they took the step of changing the focus to Mater from McQueen. They, at least, realized that McQueen's story had been told and didn't try to squeeze another drop from that lemon. This film was basically a Mater Tall Tale come true which is probably one of the reasons that Pixar produced all of the Mater Tall Tale shorts to begin with. They were basically a signalling that CARS 2 was going to be a Mater action/comedy vehicle. The fact that they basically made a paen to old style Bond films was both a strength and a weakness. On one hand, I actually thought that it was a better written old style Bond flick (minus the sexual angles) than most of what has passed for Bond flicks in the recent past; however, it's biggest weakness is also the fact that it IS a Bond parody and as such is something that leaves you with the feeling that you have seen it all before.
I saw CARS 2 in 3D and I have to say that I actually liked how the 3D was used in the film. There weren't any gimmicky in-your-face moments but I thought the 3D was effectively used in the flying sequences of the film, so I would probably purchase the 3D version of this film on Blu-ray. All-in-all I would give this entry a B. It was more entertaining than most of what I have seen this year, so far, with its biggest downfall being the use of an over familiar Bond parody storyline.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
" I have to give them credit for producing a sequel that really is different from the original film."
It's a simple reversal. The first one is "sophisticated guy in the sticks." Reverse it, and you get "unsophisticated guy in the big city," which automatically makes it Mater's story, expands it, and precludes much of the introspection. So you end up with a very different story in the same world. Personally, I like the first one better because of that smaller, more personal scope, and the nostalgia for old Route 66. The sequel is more for pure entertainment.
I saw this at the El Capitan on Hollywood Blvd, and after the show you have access to a themed funfair set up on the athletic field of Hollywood High School. Unfortunately I'm not a kid anymore, but I did like the display of unusual cars from the Petersen Automotive Museum.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don Solosan said:
" I have to give them credit for producing a sequel that really is different from the original film."
It's a simple reversal. The first one is "sophisticated guy in the sticks." Reverse it, and you get "unsophisticated guy in the big city," which automatically makes it Mater's story, expands it, and precludes much of the introspection. So you end up with a very different story in the same world. Personally, I like the first one better because of that smaller, more personal scope, and the nostalgia for old Route 66. The sequel is more for pure entertainment.
I saw this at the El Capitan on Hollywood Blvd, and after the show you have access to a themed funfair set up on the athletic field of Hollywood High School. Unfortunately I'm not a kid anymore, but I did like the display of unusual cars from the Petersen Automotive Museum.
This is a good observation that I missed. I felt the story was quite different from the first one, because it was heavily action orientated and took most of its beats from Bond movies. Like you observed, the second movie is less personal and less nostalgic. I didn't mind CARS 2, because it reminded me of the old Bond flicks, but I still think CARS is a much better film because of the more personal tone and the nostalgic look at route 66.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Wanted to mention a couple years out and Cars 2 is still my boys' and their friends' favorite film (ages about 5-8). The 'Pixar does Bond' theme really resonates with these kids in a powerful and lasting way.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by DaveB
Wanted to mention a couple years out and Cars 2 is still my boys' and their friends' favorite film (ages about 5-8). The 'Pixar does Bond' theme really resonates with these kids in a powerful and lasting way.
It's still a big hit in our house too (two 4-yr olds), and I have always enjoyed it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks