What's new

carpet strip for my speakers (1 Viewer)

Mike Mundt

Stunt Coordinator
hey, haven't posted here in a while. I had a question about cutting up or buying small carpet strips and putting them under my front speakers (def techs) to improve my subwoofer response and clean it up a little. I recently put pergo floors in my room, cause of the dog hair problem, and I knew it would put my home theater at a handicap with reflections and bass but I couldn't take the dog hair anymore. Anyway I just want to know if this makes sense or not, to put small carpet squares under under my def techs and use the spikes as suggested by the manual? I figured it could help smooth out the bass a little.

Next I have an odd shaped room that places me pretty close to the tv, and I got the center channel around an inch over the tv on a shelf (cant put it on the TV, its a Sony Wega and they have a curved top), but im concerned im getting alot of reflection off the back because it points above the back of my couch. I wanna fix this with a sound absorption panel, but I would sort of rather save money and make one, unless theres some real good deals out there. Not really looking to spend over $50 for 1 planel. Any instruction sites or books out there to make them?

Tim K

Second Unit
Another option is to buy rubber flooring material (like for weight rooms) and use that. I think it would be better than carpet b/c the spikes will go right through your carpet into your nice new floors.

SteveSott

Grip
I have a Wega 36 with a center speaker that is 7 X 8 X 20. I put velcro pads on the front speaker feet and use a rubber door stopper to wedge the speaker slightly downwards to fill in the center. The speaker is solid but not flush with the TV.
ST

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to move this post to the "Speakers and Subwoofers" fourm.

Generally most speakers are put on spikes to isolate and reduce the friction of the cabinent resting on the floor. Carpet strips or rubber pads would increase the friction.

I have known people to buy large ceramic tiles to put under their spikes to protect the floor. One guy even put coins between the spikes and the tile. He said without the coins, he could feel the tile vibrate with the speaker body and a nickle under each spike gave reduced the vibration by increasing the isolation.

Subwoofers with spikes ... I think is a different issue. I'll let the guys in the speakers fourm address this.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I recently bought spikes for my Martin Logan speakers. The spikes came with little metal quarter size feet. There was is a divit in the middle of the feet so that the spike will rest in that. It totally changed the way my bass performed on my speakers. I would not have believed that it would make any sort of differece, but raising the speaker off of my carpet tightened the bass up. For only invest a little more than $20 for spikes per speaker, it had to be the most dramatic improvment per dollar that I have ever spent.

Here is a link to what I bought from Parts Express.

Dayton Audio Spikes

Jeff Aguilar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks