What's new

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - reviews (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Robert Downey Jr. watched it for the first time yesterday at his birthday party. Looks like two thumbs up!
image.jpg

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sean Bryan said:
Robert Downey Jr. watched it for the first time yesterday at his birthday party. Looks like two thumb as up!
I wonder if this was a 'fly-by' or if there was mingling

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's a great movie. Chris Evans is terrific; really great casting. The whole cast was excellent - Sam Jackson and Scarlet Johanssen finally had meatier roles, and Evans and Johnassen had real chemistry. Anthony Mackie was a nice addition to the cast too; he'll be great to watch in future installments. I liked Redford too, but from the moment he was announced, I knew he was the heavy.

After this big opening weekend, I bet Warner blinks over having Superman/Batman open opposite Cap 3.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'll join the chorus saying that this is head and shoulders above the pack as the best entry in Phase 2 so far. The film won me over from its opening scene on the National Mall. Chris Evans has so internalized Steve Rodgers, and Anthony Mackie's Sam Wilson had such an easy and nature rapport with him, that you just knew that this was going to be a movie well-grounded in character. And opening the film with a talking scene instead of an action sequence was a huge statement of confidence from the Russo brothers about their ability to tame the blockbuster beast.I've never enjoyed Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow more than I did in this film. In Iron Man 2, she was what S.H.I.E.L.D. needed her to be for Tony Stark, in The Avengers she was what the mechanics of a team-up blockbuster needed her to be. In this, for the first time, I finally started to get an understanding of who Natasha Romanoff is as a character on her own independent terms. I enjoyed the way her playfulness and her bone-dry sense of humor contrasted with her steely professionalism. I enjoyed the way her relationship with Steve evolved over the course of the film, the way she increasingly trusted him and admired him even as she envied the moral clarity that she had lost a long time ago. The demands of a blockbuster require a sexual tension between the male and female leads, often consummated by the end of the picture, and I like that they neatly sidestepped that here. Captain America and the Black Widow are colleagues who enjoy each other's company.Even as "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." embraced the fantastic Roger-Moore-as-James-Bond-esque vision of S.H.I.E.L.D., I like that this movie took great pains to make S.H.I.E.L.D. as grounded as possible, sort of an intelligence counterpart to the military alliances like NATO. When you see S.H.I.E.L.D. agents rendered in the form of real world counterparts, it makes it that much easier to invest in the reality of this world. Part of why I find Thor: The Dark World rather boring is that that mythology wasn't grounded in anything. It all felt like made up nonsense to me. There was no hook that pulled me in and forced me to invest in the goings-on. By contrast, it was easy to think of S.H.I.E.L.D. as the CIA, the NSA, MI-6, Mossad, MSS and GRU/SVR all rolled into one. That instantly involved me in the political undertones of the conspiracy.Robert Redford could do a role like Alexander Pierce in his sleep, and he's terrific at it here.I loved the fallout from the final battle, which unlike many third-act set pieces, actually does have major reverberations. I particularly liked the montage of where everybody ended up, as you see the different directions people with S.H.I.E.L.D.'s skillset would be pulled, and the resurrection of national intelligence operations to pick up the slack from S.H.I.E.L.D.'s implosion.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I went to the early afternoon IMAX showing of Captain America today. During the pre-show there was sound but no picture, when the previews started there was picture but no sound. The theater manager had everyone leave so they can reboot the projector. 20 minutes later he comes back out and said that they had to call in the IMAX technicians and the showing is cancelled. Everyone got 2 IMAX readmission tickets and admission to a movie showing on any other screen.

I opted for the regular 3D showing that started a few minutes after all this happened. The movie was enjoyable but the sound level was way too low. I bought my earplugs in in preparation for the reference level playback on the IMAX screen. The level with earplugs in was way too low, with them out it was probably about the level that it would have been with them in on the IMAX screen, just without the tactile feedback from the bass.

The 3D adaptation was competent, but didn't significantly improve over what the 2D screening would have been like.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Wayne_j said:
I went to the early afternoon IMAX showing of Captain America today. During the pre-show there was sound but no picture, when the previews started there was picture but no sound. The theater manager had everyone leave so they can reboot the projector. 20 minutes later he comes back out and said that they had to call in the IMAX technicians and the showing is cancelled. Everyone got 2 IMAX readmission tickets and admission to a movie showing on any other screen.

I opted for the regular 3D showing that started a few minutes after all this happened. The movie was enjoyable but the sound level was way too low. I bought my earplugs in in preparation for the reference level playback on the IMAX screen. The level with earplugs in was way too low, with them out it was probably about the level that it would have been with them in on the IMAX screen, just without the tactile feedback from the bass.

The 3D adaptation was competent, but didn't significantly improve over what the 2D screening would have been like.
Wow. When the right IMAX projector failed at a screening of The Hobbit last December at my local theater, everyone had to practically BEG for one readmit ticket, after standing in line, when the movie ended.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Todd Erwin said:
Wow. When the right IMAX projector failed at a screening of The Hobbit last December at my local theater, everyone had to practically BEG for one readmit ticket, after standing in line, when the movie ended.
well, my showing was actually cancelled. It would be hard for the theater to get away without giving at least one ticket. The manager actually did say that we would be getting at least one ticket before he found out hew would have to cancel the showing.

Mike Ouellet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
MIke
Did a really good job.Was amazed with the script. The villain was good. Even liked seeing GSP in there.Can't wait for the next file. Hate to say it but Cap 3 will probably crush Batman/Superman which comes out same day.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
So I have listened to the soundtrack and it does a really good job of creating that feeling of unease. To my untrained ear the Winter Soldier track sounds so wrong that it is absolutely right. Not a soundtrack to listen to if you want a nice relaxation, but it fit the tone of the film well.

Watching the film itself again and it stands up well. The pacing really is superb. There is a little more shake on the camera at times than I would like in some of the hand to hand combat scenes, but the choreography itself is excellent. It has the best overall action of any film in the MCU to date in my opinion. I hope that Age of Ultron can reach the same heights. The mid credit scene is a great teaser.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Loved it! The Booth Bijou gives 'CA: The Winter Soldier' 5 out of 5 stars! My favorite movie (so far) for 2014!

Mark

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If you haven't seen this it is great. The scene where the Captain goes through his notebook of the 10 things he needs to experience to help catch up on the world, and how that scene is different in many countries.

http://imgur.com/a/qM5iw

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Adam Lenhardt said:
I've never enjoyed Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow more than I did in this film. In Iron Man 2, she was what S.H.I.E.L.D. needed her to be for Tony Stark, in The Avengers she was what the mechanics of a team-up blockbuster needed her to be. In this, for the first time, I finally started to get an understanding of who Natasha Romanoff is as a character on her own independent terms. I enjoyed the way her playfulness and her bone-dry sense of humor contrasted with her steely professionalism. I enjoyed the way her relationship with Steve evolved over the course of the film, the way she increasingly trusted him and admired him even as she envied the moral clarity that she had lost a long time ago.
Unfortunately, our theater showed the trailer to "Lucy" beforehand, and while the BW worked in The Avengers as a larger-than-life comic-book character in a universe where such things existed, I sort of hope her role in this movie gets Marvel's usual urge for a "female solo spinoff" out of their system--As watching Johanson typecast herself as the world's most perfect kickass heroine who steps on more men could get real old, faster than you can say "Milla Jovovich". ;)
Robert Redford could do a role like Alexander Pierce in his sleep, and he's terrific at it here.
Yeah, think I had that one called as far back as the trailer:
When the director of "Lions for Lambs" plays a rich senator, you KNOW the character's going to be evil, corrupt, and pulling the strings of covert plots. You don't need to watch Three Days of the Condor to see that one coming.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ejanss said:
Unfortunately, our theater showed the trailer to "Lucy" beforehand, and while the BW worked in The Avengers as a larger-than-life comic-book character in a universe where such things existed, I sort of hope her role in this movie gets Marvel's usual urge for a "female solo spinoff" out of their system--As watching Johanson typecast herself as the world's most perfect kickass heroine who steps on more men could get real old, faster than you can say "Milla Jovovich". ;)
Speaking personally, if she keeps making them, I'll keep watching them. :)

I would love a Black Widow stand-alone film, but I'd make it an origin film with "ScarJo" in the role for less than half the running time. An effed up coming of age story set against the collapse of the Soviet Union, starting with the murder of her parents at an extremely young age in Volgograd, through her training under the tutelage of Ivan Petrovich in a KGB black ops program, culiminating in her reign as Russia/the USSR's top assassin, and wrapping up with Hawkeye convincing her to defect to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
That is a film I could get behind. I just think there are other characters I would like to see given a chance to shine before seeing a black widow movie.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier last night at the Regal/Edwards Irvine Spectrum in the RPX auditorium, in 3D and Dolby Atmos. Throughout the entire film, at random times, there would be these rows of specs that would appear on screen for one or two frames, then disappear. There would also be a white speck that would travel left to right across the screen at a high velocity. Finally, there was this shifting line in the upper right corner that reminded me of a dropout or scratch on a VHS tape that was visible during darker sequences. And it was not just me that noticed this. My wife did, too, and if she sees it, then it's a major issue.

I mentioned this to two managers as my wife and I were walking out. The one manager seemed to know exactly what I was talking about, and did not want to discuss it with a lowly patron like myself, but offered to discuss it with the other manager. Instead, he told me to go to the customer service counter and they would take care of it. After waiting five minutes for someone to show up at the customer service desk, we were given 2 free RPX passes for a future movie.

This is the second movie in the same auditorium that exhibited this issue in the last few weeks, but it was much less distracting on Divergent. In some ways, it reminded me of how the studios used to watermark their 35mm prints to combat piracy, but that was usually restricted to a small portion of one reel, not the entire film.

I thought the 3D and Atmos were underwhelming, and after the distracting anomalies on the screen, wish I had seen it in 2D and 5.1.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I have a question (more of my personal thoughts - assumptions) for those that are familiar, somewhat, with the Marvel comics and who have seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Is it safe to assume that Ultron will/could be the result of the technology used for the "Winter Soldier's" arm, and the downloading of Zola conscious to a computer?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Brett_B said:
I have a question (more of my personal thoughts - assumptions) for those that are familiar, somewhat, with the Marvel comics and who have seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Is it safe to assume that Ultron will/could be the result of the technology used for the "Winter Soldier's" arm, and the downloading of Zola conscious to a computer?
Without Henry Pym in the story yet, anything's possible. :unsure:

(Me, I'm still wondering when the heck
the Scarlet Witch turned into a telekinetic.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks