What's new

Theatrical Captain America: Civil War (2016) (1 Viewer)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
There's no reason characters can't switch sides as the movie progresses. Glad to see Ant-Man in this, his solo film was my 3rd favourite Marvel movie so far. I hope that when Cap gets another solo film, it's more like Ant-Man with only one or a few other Avengers in it. This is looking more like Avengers 3 with all of the characters in it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
First official one sheet

image.jpeg

Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. we're on Jimmy Kimmel tonight. RDJ introduced the poster and Evans introduced the trailer.

This was a nice surprise. Usually there are strong hints that a new trailer is coming before it hits because of the rating classification a week or so prior. Marvel kept this pretty well under wraps.

Definitely and intense, dramatic vibe to this that I'm really happy about.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
New official synopsis:

Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War finds Steve Rogers leading the newly formed team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. But after another incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability, headed by a governing body to oversee and direct the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers, resulting in two camps—one led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Stark’s surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability. Get ready to pick a side and join the nonstop action playing out on two fronts when Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War opens in U.S. theaters this May.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let me get this straight, the Avengers split up and fight each other in this latest Captain America film so they can re-unite again to fight a common enemy in the next Avengers film. Is that about it?

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Robert Crawford said:
Let me get this straight, the Avengers split up and fight each other in this latest Captain America film so they can re-unite again to fight a common enemy in the next Avengers film. Is that about it?

For your one sentence summation, I would say yes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Scarlet Witch's method of flight kind of reminds me of how Firestorm flies on "The Flash".

Given what happened with S.H.I.E.L.D. the last time the government had oversight, I think I'm with Steve on this.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
What a great treat for this morning! Not really a teaser at all, that was a complete trailer. Story, character, motivations, action.

So obviously the highlight is Tony's line at the end, but I really appreciated the delivery. It wasn't snarky, it was wounded and emotional.

As with the comic Civil War, of course any sane government would never allow super-powered vigilantes to operate outside of government jurisdiction. That would go TRIPLE for Captain America, who received his superhuman abilities FROM the government. They are responsible for his superhuman actions.

"So, Officer Williams, what did you see?"

"Well, a man in a purple tie whispered something to Captain Rogers, and Captain Rogers just pushed the van off of the bridge."

"Did you hear what the man said?"

"No, sir."

"How many people were in that passenger van?"

"Six."

"How many survived?"

"One."

"No further questions."

"Dr. smith, could you push that van off of the bridge?"

"No, sir."

"Could a professional football player do it?"

"No, sir."

"Could Captain Rogers?"

"Yes, sir."

"How is that possible?"

"Captain Rogers has superhuman strength, endurance, recovery, amongst other mental and physical gifts."

"Was that strength absolutely required to push that van off of that bridge?"

"It was."

"How did he obtain those superhuman abilities?"

"A U.S. government experiment in the 1940s enhanced him, and..."

"No further questions."

Comic books, like comic book movies, are a power fantasy (like James Bond) so of course I side with Steve. As a character, I know his ethics and responsibility.

Edge any closer to reality, and of course I side with Tony Stark. Quis custodiet ipsos custodies, and all that.

Now, presumably the film (like the comic series) will stack the deck. Bucky will have been set up, and Steve will be defending him and trying to bring in the actual person responsible (who will be a super villain). But Stark doesn't know that. He knew (or now does, thanks to the Widow's release of SHIELD files at the end of Cap 2) that the Winter Soldier was involved in the death of his parents, so he has a strong personal stake in this as well. I don't think any mind control defense (as it applies to Bucky) is going to call him off. And frankly, Tony probably believes in accountability.

So, although I like Cap and Steve more than Iron Man and Tony...Tony is right.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Really good trailer. It looks very much like a sequel to Winter Soldier to me which is what I was hoping for.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Nigel P said:
Really good trailer. It looks very much like a sequel to Winter Soldier to me which is what I was hoping for.
Yes, thankfully this looks to be a natural progression of the story from The Winter Soldier. But it also is incorporated into fallout from previous Marvel film events, including Age of Ultron.

Notice that the legal/government document that was shown on the table is called "The Sokovia Accords: Framework for the Registration and Deployment of Enhanced Individuals".

I'm hoping that Markus and McFeely have written this so that both sides of the issue are presented as "legitimate". My understanding is that the comics made the issue too clearly "right and wrong". I think both sides in the film should be legitimate arguments.

There probably should be oversight and regulation of an essentially superpowered police/peacekeeping force. Should a group of superpowered or "enhanced" people really be allowed to operate openly, legally outside of the legal or normal military channels? How can we trust that they will do the right thing? How do we know they won't do more harm than good? Through the actions of certain Avengers, an entire Eastern European city was destroyed and the entire world was almost wiped out as well. How can we trust that the actions of these people won't lead to another such disaster? There should be some accountability and regulation of such individuals.

But who makes those calls? What government is to be trusted not to abuse their influence over such a force? Should the Avengers be tools of a government that can tell them who is the enemy and when NOT to get involved in something because it wouldn't be in their political interest? The last organization that enhanced individuals were somewhat accountable to, that Cap worked directly for, SHIELD, turned out to infiltrated by Hydra and tried to assassinate 20 million people. How can heroes trust working for another such organization?

On top of that, throw in the personal conflict over Bucky and I think this story could really be something.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Nigel P said:
Yep, the Russos definitely seem to be on the right track with the way they are handling the story. I like that they said everyone has real personal reasons for why they support or don't support registration.

Joe Russo: "The theme of the movie is betrayal and it’s a very powerful theme. The movie’s extremely emotional. It hinges on that emotion, and on a very personal level we didn’t want the movie to become about politics and people arguing about platitudes. The third act is built around a very personal moment between these characters."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Mayer said:
So, although I like Cap and Steve more than Iron Man and Tony...Tony is right.

The interesting thing for me is that both characters are hugely motivated by their past experiences. When Steve was first thawed out, Captain America was a full-fledged government operative through S.H.I.E.L.D. And he watched that organized get corrupted from the inside out, nearly causing genocide on a massive scale.

By contrast, through the Iron Man trilogy, Tony openly flaunted his independence from oversight. Then the Ultron project happened, and his hubris and lack of supervision again nearly caused genocide on a massive scale. I'm sure a lot of his guilt over that is feeding into his position here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks