1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Captain America 2: The sequel news

Discussion in 'Movies' started by oscar_merkx, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    The weekend estimates are giving Cap the top spot again for its second weekend with an estimated $41.3M (narrowly beating Rio 2's $39M).After just two weekends, The Winter Soldier is only about $15M away from the final domestic take of The First Avenger. And it's world wide take is currently at $476M which has already blown past the $370M world wide take of the first. Nice job, Marvel Studios! More please. image.jpg

2. Nigel P

Nigel P Well-Known Member

Nigel
    Not bad for a skinny kid from Brooklyn.

TravisR likes this.
  3. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
  4. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    The Winter Soldier held the top spot for the third weekend in a row with 25.6Mhttp://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3825&p=.htmIt hit $200M on Sunday and currently stands at $585M world wide. It should pass Thor: The Dark World's domestic take of $206M sometime this week. Looks like there is a good chance that it will beat Thor's world wide take of $644M, and Man of Steel's $668M haul wouldn't be that far off either. It may not make it with the competition from The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but it'll probably at least be close which is pretty awesome.

5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Thought this was cool. image.jpg image.jpg I believe President Ellis was also targeted. It will be fun to see what names can be see in a few months when Blu-ray screen captures can be analyzed.

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Premium
    Supporter

David
    Yeah, Ellis was definitely there. Bruce Banner too, but I don't see how that would work since Banner couldn't end his own life with a gun.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

Bruce knew that bullet was coming, though. If they could catch him totally by surprise, they might be able to kill him before his subconscious has a moment to Hulk out.

8. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Yeah, I think the combination of surprise and the level of firepower is what they were hoping would kill him. Of course, just because he was targeted doesn't mean he would have been killed. Hydra likely didn't even know that Banner has that kind of resilience (he told the Avengers and Fury/Romanov). And even if they did, why not at least try to get him?I'd be interested to see if they were targeting Thor. We know he is now staying on Earth, but is that public information at this point (or at least known to SHIELD/Hydra)? And would they be able to track him? Either way, I doubt they'd be able to kill him. But again, that shouldn't stop them from trying.

9. Jason_V

Jason_V Well-Known Member

Jason
    The other question would be...do they really want to kill Thor? Sure, Hydra doesn't want to destroy the world, but rule it. By killing Thor, they risk unleashing the fury of Asgard on the Earth. And is that the best idea they've ever had?

10. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

Just rewatched the first Cap movie. Seeing this one made the first one more enjoyable for me. I really like how Marvel handles this character--showing him as the true blue, straight arrow hero he is. So much better than the idiotic nihilism of the makers of the recent Lone Ranger movie.

11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Good point. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to provoke Asgard in such a way. I would think Thor would represent a threat to Hydra's plans for ruling after the murder of 20 million people, but maybe they hoped they could remain hidden inside of SHIELD. Thor's power wouldn't do much good if he didn't know who to go after.

Jason_V likes this.
  12. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/captain-america-winter-soldier-sails-698422
    image.jpg

13. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    My son and I went last night, he had avoided it since he felt sick and didn't like big theaters. He pointed out that his favorite parts were things like:

Captain America getting everyone off the bus
    Or when Black Widow saved all the people and used a 'fake out' to trick the Winter Soldier.

I too thought those moments were neat watching them, and I think I commented on it here.. but listening to him talk about it afterwards, I realized this is why these marvel films work so well (And why after seeing Spiderman2 I think it doesn't) - they manage to put superheroes in a place not just to be super, but to show that they want to help the average guy on the street.
    It's the thing I hated most about Man of Steel, where people were just waiting to die.

Maybe they are small moments, but I think it adds a lot to a superhero character to show they aren't just super heroes by stopping other super villains, but they are superheroes by saving the average guy.

14. DavidJ

DavidJ Premium
    Supporter

David
    I agree with that sentiment 100% Matt.

15. Chris Will

Chris Will Well-Known Member

Chris WIlliams
    I also agree. That was one thing I hated about MoS as well. He had time to save Lois 100 different times and he saved a few army guys, then proceeded to level half of the city without even stoping to think of the people. I mean, he didn't even try to make the world spin backwards to help a few folks. Not very Superman like. Say what you will about Superman Returns but at least Singer got the spirit of the character right, something Snyder completely missed. As far as Cap 2, I think it is my favorite of the Marvel universe movies so far. It may even be one of my favorite superheroes movies period, up there with the original Superman and Batman Begins. It's funny, back when the first Cap move was announced, I didn't have much hope because the character had always seemed kind of campy to me but, but I've enjoyed both movies immensely.

Sam Favate likes this.
  16. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier has now passed the world wide gross of Thor: The Dark World with $645M (TDW was $644). I'm reading that it is a given that it will pass Man of Steel's $668M and is likely to finish around $700M! That's pretty impressive considering the first film made only $370M. Due to the critical and box office success of Cap 2, and with Avengers out next May, I wouldn't be surprised if Cap 3 earned close to a billion. There's certainly a sound argument for moving Cap 3 up one month to early April since its now been proven that it can perform well in that month. Then again, WB/DC still has more riding on the success of Sups/Bats. The DC team up movie would likely take the top spot, but there's no question that it would suffer going up against Cap 3. Both would suffer, but I think Marvel ultimately has less riding on the success of Cap 3 than WB/DC has on Sups/Bats. Will WB try the early April slot or move back to their later summer traditional dates? Someone's gonna move for sure. We'll just have to see how this game of chicken plays out.