What's new

Caprica (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Unfortunately it ended up being a cheap 4400 knock-off in the plot direction after the first season ;)

But yes, the screener thing works, and the early TV movie angle on Caprica is a smart run by SciFi. Looks like decent casting too.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Oh, I understood what you meant. I was just referring to comparative budgets. You'd think with the kind of money they spend on Big 4 Network shows that they could afford more creative writers (read that as more original stories).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Caprica extended pilot is now up free (but ad-supported) on Hulu:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/114876/caprica-pilot---extended-cut#s-p1-so-i0

After seeing that, I'm definitely in. The two story threads seem to be Greystone opening Pandora's box with the Cylons, and the battle for Joseph Adama's soul. It's too bad they boxed themselves in with the seven Cylon models, because it would make a lot of sense for the skin jobs to be behind the monotheistic cult on Caprica -- and thus indirectly behind the Cylon Centurions as well.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Adam, did you watch the (non-extended) pilot on DVD when it came out? I was hooked almost immediately, and plan on tuning in for the series, should it get picked up.

One question about the only version (since we can't watch it here in Canada), are there still numerous scenes with nudity in them? I was wondering how it would be cut, if at all, for US broadcasts.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

One question about the only version (since we can't watch it here in Canada), are there still numerous scenes with nudity in them? I was wondering how it would be cut, if at all, for US broadcasts.
Wasn't there a topless girl in the first 30 seconds in the extended version? If so, she's now wearing a bikini in the Hulu/broadcast version (I'm assuming it's the broadcast version anyway). According to the run time, the Hulu version runs 1:31:55. I only rented the DVD so I don't have it to compare the run time.

Either way, they'll definitely cut the nudity for broadcast. If someone saw a bare breast on TV, the world likely end.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Adam, did you watch the (non-extended) pilot on DVD when it came out? I was hooked almost immediately, and plan on tuning in for the series, should it get picked up.
The show has been picked up. It begins Jan. 22 on Syfy. I believe a full season has been ordered.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Nope, just the online version. If there was any outright nudity in it, I didn't notice it. Obviously, the virtual den of sin and mayhem had a lot of mature content -- but nothing that leaped out as me as explicit. The concept that "24" writer Remi Aubuchon came up with was fascinating enough that the Battlestar mythology that Ronald D. Moore skillfully layered on top was just icing on the cake, important only in that I doubt I would have bothered trying the show without that connection. Alessandra Torresani, who played the brilliant and often virtual Graystone daughter, reminded me strikingly of Zooey Deschanel. I was sad that the decided to kill off both William Adama's sister and his mother; while the turbulent relationship with his father was portrayed as far and away the most important one in the Commander's coming-of-age, it kind of stinks that we never get to know a full half of his family. One had to die in order to tie the Graystones and and Adamas together, but I would have preferred that either the sister or the mother survived.

As Sam mentioned, the 19-episode first season premieres January 22nd which is undoubtedly why the pilot has popped up on Hulu now. The promotional poster is pretty inventive, since it conjures allusions to many of the themes underlying the series:
1000x800px-LL-caprica-seriesprem-poster.jpg

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

The show has been picked up. It begins Jan. 22 on Syfy. I believe a full season has been ordered.
I knew the show had been optioned as a movie/pilot, but I didn't know a full season was ordered. Nice.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Nope, just the online version. If there was any outright nudity in it, I didn't notice it. Obviously, the virtual den of sin and mayhem had a lot of mature content -- but nothing that leaped out as me as explicit.
Yeah, in the DVD pilot, there was copious amounts of nudity--girl-on-girl action, implied sex acts showing just enough to be safe, et cetera.

Anyway, glad to hear it's a full-season order right away, as I have been hotly anticipating this one since seeing the pilot back in early 2009.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Tonight is the premiere of Caprica. I believe tonight's two-hour special is the same (edited, of course) as what was on the DVD released last year. Next week should be the first all-new episode that picks up where the pilot ends.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I can't wait. I'll be re-watching the DVD, however, as I can't stand to watch censored episodes, when the un-censored version is onhand.

By your command.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
NYT review: http://tv.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/arts/television/22caprica.html?_r=1&ref=arts

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Wow, that article demonstrates pretty quickly that the writer either didn't watch BSG, or didn't understand the sound and flickering images on his TV. Hell, even the title is ignorant of the show.

Also, I think we're all in agreement that we shouldn't worry about BSG spoilers in this thread? If you are watching Caprica, but haven't seen BSG in its entirety, why would you be here? I don't want this thread to be a mess of spoiler text upon spoiler text.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Josh Dial ">[/url]

Also, I think we're all in agreement that we shouldn't worry about BSG spoilers in this thread?
[/QUOTE]
I'm going to wait to watch BSG until Caprica finishes up so I can watch them all in chronological order. I assume that the creation of the Cylons works out fine for humanity.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR ">[/url]

I'm going to wait to watch BSG until Caprica finishes up so I can watch them all in chronological order. I assume that the creation of the Cylons works out fine for humanity.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Diallo B

interesting way to attempt to watch caprica. i wonder if by watching it this way you will spoil bsg for yourself. much of the mystery of bsg happened around what was going on with the cylons.

i will keep this in mind as i watch caprica.
I'm sure Travis' post was in jest, as he posted quite a bit in the BSG threads.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've seen all of BSG, I was just kidding around.

Now that Diallo brings it up though, I wonder how much crossover there will be between the two shows. Setting them 55 or 60 years apart makes it seem like they can't really get into too much from the other series.

For the record, I'm pretty strict on not talking about other shows but I have no plans on using spoiler text for BSG spoilers in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks