What's new

Can't Whip up enthusiam for Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If I remember correctly We Were Soldiers came out when Paramount was doing different encodes for the two different formats so there might be differences between the BD and HD DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

If I remember correctly We Were Soldiers came out when Paramount was doing different encodes for the two different formats so there might be differences between the BD and HD DVD.
Yes, there were two different encodes for each release. However, I thought the video presentation of either looked the same to me. The complaints have been about the image being soft and lack of detail in certain sections of the film, but from my personal perspective, I thought both discs, overall, looked fine.

Crawdaddy

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont agree at all with the comments about the difference between BR and SD DVD being minimal.

Of course not all Blurays have the same great PQ, but on my Sony CRT,some of my BRs flat out destroy the SD versions IMHO.

One difference is Im a bit more patient now. When a movie I wanted came out on DVD I usually would get it release day.

Money is a bit tighter right now and the releases are coming slowly, but I no longer feel the need to own that new release on the day it comes out. I pick it up whatI can whenever I can. And if I have to wait a bit, I simply wait.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
Guess again:

thanks Michael, that has made my day!!

awesome news :)

even more relevant now I am watching "The Pacific" and the first two episodes are based on Guadancal, which "The Thin Red Line" is all about, in terms of the actual location for the fighting in the film

I dont agree at all with the comments about the difference between BR and SD DVD being minimal.

to clarify my comment:

some of my BR collection (114 movies to date) is "night and day" PQ different to my SD DVD copies of the same movies, when the double dip of buying the BR after already owning the SD DVD copy of the same film, has been more than justified

and other BR discs have not been so good in terms of PQ, making the expenditure of a double dip, an empty venture - Stallone's "First Blood" being one of the worst offenders in this regard, from my collection

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by JonZ

Of course not all Blurays have the same great PQ, but on my Sony CRT,some of my BRs flat out destroy the SD versions IMHO.
Technically speaking, I could probably say that all the BR's I own (that I have watched so far) are very much superior to their DVD counterparts in video and audio quality. So in that regard I suppose I could agree that they (BR's) "flat out destroy" them (DVD's).

But, is that the best way to judge the differences? For example, say I could equate my enjoyment of watching the latest Star Trek movie for the very first time on DVD vs. BR. Not just one after the other comparing the technical differences but as if I only watched one or the other. Would my reactions after the movie be that different between the formats without a direct comparison? For myself, I think possible a little based on the extra detail and audio expereince, but not in "flat out destroys" terms. For the most part I would have either enjoyed (or not) the movie equally based on its content.

Now the latest Star Trek DVD and BR are closer in comparison. So take African Queen as an example that I have seen many times. The latest BR technically does blow away my old R2 DVD technically. So did watching the new BR release change anything? I would say it added a bit of new life to the experience, but all in all I've always enjoyed watching it, even with my questionable old R2 release.

So while I will agree that from a technical perspective I understand the use of terms like "blown away". However, from an overall enjoyment perspective I find that BR can add something to the experience but (for me at least) not in such dramatic terms. That is why I plan on buying new movie releases in BR but very few double dips of existing DVD's. I'd rather focus on new content.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Of course Blu-ray is better than DVD. Just how much better (& whether or not it's worth updating) should be judged on a title by title basis. I'd like to compare older titles, but they're being released at such a s-l-o-w rate that I'm in danger of losing interest. As I've stated I'll be buying BD of new movies, but I don't buy many of those, &.....HD or SD I don't much like the DI look of new movies, with their flat pictures & green where grays should be. Does anyone remember how movies used to look, with rounded images & rich colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks