What's new

Can't get surround sound system to work on tv channels (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The only way to achieve what you want to do is to run a separate audio connection from the Sky box to the Phillips. The Phillips has a digital optical audio input, so if your Sky box has a digital optical output, then all you need is a Toslink optical cable. These can be found virtually anywhere.

You can't run the audio from your Sky box through the TV (via HDMI) and get any sort of surround audio to your Phillips. All TVs downmix digital surround audio to simple stereo.

You should also disable your TVs speakers (read your TV manual to see how to do this) so that you don't get sound from both the Phillips and the TV at the same time.

Remember, that with separate connections for audio and video, to watch Sky and hear it through the Phillips, you'll need to change inputs on the TV (for video) and the Phillips (for audio).

sandpit007in

Auditioning
Real Name
Sandeep
I do not have digital Optical output on my SKY HD box, I just want to know the way to connect it, could you please explain it to me by using the ARROW to understand it, I have normal audio out that is [red, yellow, white] ports from my HD box, so if I understood you correctly then, may I connect the HD box to TV by HDMI and the HD box audio ports to my Philips, and that way I will get both the video and audio, isn't it? Also currently my SKY box is connected to my LED via HDMI where am getting audio & video from ly LED, but the audio is not good for watching HD channels! Please let me know my my understanding's are in a right direction, with your guidance! You have been so helpful for me here!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Granted you aren't in the US, but...

I've never seen a HD STB without a digtal audio output separate from the HDMI. If it isn't optical, it is digital coax. You have one or there is no way, at all, with that HTiB to get 5.1 from your TV stations.

If there is no digital output, you'll have to use the red-white audio output of the HD STB and connect it to the HTiB and hope it has DPL.

sandpit007in

Auditioning
Real Name
Sandeep
hi Sam, am located in India, and here the latest SKY HD box we have that amazingly does not have any digital output into it, rather its just a basic color cable output, and that I noticed today only as I was also not aware of it, otherwise I never opt for SKY HD, anyways, I understood that work around for me at this moment is just the HDMI for video and color cable for the audio from my Philips, you explained things very clear and I really thankful to you, I will switch my HD service provider by next month, with the better connectivity digital set top box, that the only way to get this things fixed! :)

prk13

Auditioning
Real Name
Prokopis
I have a samsung 6500 led tv and I am trying to connect it with a pioneer home theater xv-bd422b. I used the hdmi cable in order watch bluray disk from pioneer to tv but I also want to hear also the tv channels from the tv to home theater speakers. I used an optical cable to link the tv (in the optical output) with the home theater (in the optical input) plus the hdmi cable already connected but nothing happened. Please advise if there is a way to hear my tv channels from the home theater speakers?For your information the digital receiver is bultin in the tv.Also I want to play movies mkv files from usb , the pionner cannot read from the srt file the greek characters , I tried utf-8 and unicode with no success. Do you have any ideas how i can make this work?

MSA

Auditioning
Real Name
msa
Hi,
I'm a noob in this home theater setup.
I recently Purchased LED TV & a HTib - Onkyo HT-S 4505
Problem: Not able to hear sound through Onkyo system for HD cable channels , sound through TV speakers only.

Connectivity ports on TV
1) 4 HDMI ports (No ARC)
2) RF
3) MINI AV
3) MINI Y/Pb/Pr
4) PC Audio & VGA port
5) USB
6) Headphone
7) AV analogue (yellow, red & white)

My LED TV does not have any digital optical ports or digital coaxial ports.

The connections made are
Cable Box (HDMI) --> Onkyo (CBL/SAT HDMI) --> Onkyo HDMI (Out) --> LED TV HDMI port-1

Are my connections wrong?
Do i need to add additional cables?

Any solution...........

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
MSA said:
Hi,I'm a noob in this home theater setup. I recently Purchased LED TV & a HTib - Onkyo HT-S 4505Problem: Not able to hear sound through Onkyo system for HD cable channels , sound through TV speakers only. Connectivity ports on TV1) 4 HDMI ports (No ARC)2) RF 3) MINI AV3) MINI Y/Pb/Pr4) PC Audio & VGA port5) USB 6) Headphone 7) AV analogue (yellow, red & white) My LED TV does not have any digital optical ports or digital coaxial ports. The connections made are Cable Box (HDMI) --> Onkyo (CBL/SAT HDMI) --> Onkyo HDMI (Out) --> LED TV HDMI port-1 Are my connections wrong?Do i need to add additional cables? Any solution...........
Have you done any setup?

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
MSA said:
Hi,
I'm a noob in this home theater setup.
I recently Purchased LED TV & a HTib - Onkyo HT-S 4505
Problem: Not able to hear sound through Onkyo system for HD cable channels , sound through TV speakers only.

The connections made are
Cable Box (HDMI) --> Onkyo (CBL/SAT HDMI) --> Onkyo HDMI (Out) --> LED TV HDMI port-1

Are my connections wrong?
Do i need to add additional cables?

Any solution...........
Check the Audio setting on the Cable box is correct, and check that the CBL/SAT input is set to HDMI audio rather than optical/analog.

thevan15671

Auditioning
tphcm, trung tam gioi thieu viec lam tri duc
Real Name
The Van
hi , My tv is Penasonic D25 LED and i have Sony DZ-310 Home theater which having no digital /optical input. but having hdmi output and ARC support.My TV is also having ARC Support. BUT both having different brand one(TV from peansonic) music system from Sony. So only HDMI with ARC not support 5.1 suppound Here i am explain my Connection. 1) I Connect my TATA SKY HD with HDMI from Penasonic D25 LED Viera. 2) I Connect my TV ARC HDMI port to Sony Home theater with HDMI Cable. I am getting good picture from tv .BUT I am just Getting 2.1 Channal sound from my SONY Home theater . my home theater not having digital or optical input port .It has component INPUT,Audio Input and Audio 3.5 MM JACK. Please help me how i can get 5.1 dolby digtal from my SONY home theater if seeing HD Channal which have DD Sound. I expand lot. please give me some cheap solution. Thanks @ Regards Pankaj

Hi Regards Pankaj

When you want to listen to the audio from the TV, you need to select the "AUX" input on the Samsung. Press the "Function" button on the remote (top right corner) and cycle through the inputs. According to the manual, it should go "BD/DVD --> D. IN --> AUX --> ONLINE --> FM" If setting it to AUX still gives no results, go into the audio setup for your TV and make sure that the audio output is not disabled. If you have problems with this, just let us know the make and model number of the TV and we can try to find a manual online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks