What's new

Can't get surround sound system to work on tv channels (1 Viewer)

macolight

Auditioning
Real Name
Jane
Can anyone help me? Our surround system has died and as a result there is no sound for the TV. I have a SONY. How do I get sound back through the TV?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It would really help to know the brand and model numbers of the tv, the dead surround system and the cable/satellite box and/or dvd player. This will help us to give a more precise answer rather than a generic one which may or may not apply to you and your equipment.
If your surround system has in fact died then you need to take the audio connections from it and plug them back into the tv until you get a replacement surround sound system. You may also have to go into the tv's menu and turn the speakers back on.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
gene c said:
It would really help to know the brand and model numbers of the tv, the dead surround system and the cable/satellite box and/or dvd player. This will help us to give a more precise answer rather than a generic one which may or may not apply to you and your equipment.
If your surround system has in fact died then you need to take the audio connections from it and plug them back into the tv until you get a replacement surround sound system. You may also have to go into the tv's menu and turn the speakers back on.
He started his own thread...

rajiman

Auditioning
Real Name
munedra
blue ray-LG
TV -Samsung
I hooked cable to TV but I am not getting sound in the surround sound speakers.
What kind of cable i need to get this.
The cable is connected directly to TV

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by rajiman /t/311531/cant-get-surround-sound-system-to-work-on-tv-channels#post_4019541
blue ray-LG
TV -Samsung
I hooked cable to TV but I am not getting sound in the surround sound speakers.
What kind of cable i need to get this.
The cable is connected directly to TV

Which model LG Blu-ray system?

Which model Samsung TV?

Most likely, you'll need a digital Toslink cable to connect from the TVs output (if it has one) to the LG system input (if it has one). Can't be certain until you provide answers to the first two questions.

far10nia

Auditioning
Real Name
faten
Hi. I connect my sony 5.1ch DVD Home Theatre System Model: DAV-DZ640K to samsung LED TV Series 5 UA40EH5000R but the speakers work when i watch a movie but not when i try to use them for watching tv, why wont it work?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by far10nia
the speakers work when i watch a movie but not when i try to use them for watching tv, why wont it work?
You need an audio connection from your TV source (cable or satellite set top box?) to one of the available audio inputs on the home theater system.
The home theater system has two options - a digital optical connection or red/white analog stereo inputs. Whichever option is on both devices is the one to use.

far10nia

Auditioning
Real Name
faten
If i already connect them with hdmi cable, do i still need a digital optical connection or red/white analog stereo inputs?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Output goes to input. The HDMI on your HTiB is not an input. And the HDMI on the TV is not an output. So, connect a toslink from your "source" into the HTiB, period.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Again, I don't know what "them" means... Do you have cable or satellite? Are you using a set top box that is connected to the TV with HDMI, or are you referring to the HDMI cable that connects the home theater system to the TV? Regardless to the answers above, your TV does not appear to support ARC (even though the home theater system does), so the question becomes moot. So yes, even if "they" are connected with HDMI, you still need either a digital optical or analog stereo audio connection that goes from your TV source (cable or satellite set top box, or the TV itself if you have no set top box) to an input on the surround sound system.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If i already connect them with hdmi cable, do i still need a digital optical connection or red/white analog stereo inputs?
The HDMI cable sends sound from the HT to the TV. The only exception to that is if both the HT and the TV support something called ARC, in which case the signal can travel both ways. It appears that your HT does NOT support ARC, so yes, you do need the additional cables.

Sidhartha

Auditioning
Real Name
Sidhartha Bardhan
I am using Videocon HD Satelite Box and having a Samsung 40" HD LED TV(40D6600) which is having Anynet+ function and also i am having Sony Home theater BD-E690. When my TV is connected to Home Theater the Anynet+ Function working properly but when it is connected to HD satelite Box this Anynet+ function is not working. Both the cases i.e TV-HT & TV - Satelite box it is connected through HDMI cord. HDMI cable attached in ARC IN & OUT port respectively on TV & Home theater. Pls suggest how can i get the sound output through my Home theater.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have a Sony and a Samsung. Their CEC(the Anynet on the Samsung) don't speak the same language. Even says in the manual "may not work with other brands". Regardless both items have to support ARC and both have to have CEC on.

Sidhartha

Auditioning
Real Name
Sidhartha Bardhan
Dear Sam, Whem my Sony HT & Samsung TV connected Anynet+ working. But when i am connecting the HD Satelite Box Anynet+ not working. I want to get the sound output of any TV prog through my HT . Pls guide.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I can't "guide" as I don't own those two specific items. It says, in the owners manuals of both... "CEC may not work with other brands". Period...says it right in the manual. If you have turned the CEC on in both. And then turned on the ARC. If it doesn't work... Run a toslink off your source(s).

randyjeffrey

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
To the many experts who are helping out. I seem to be stuck along with many others. I am working with a Dynex™ - 32" Class (31-1/2" Diag.) - LCD - 720p - 60Hz - HDTV Model: DX-32L100A13 and Insignia™ 200W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with DVD/CD/MP3 Player Model: NS-H2002B I can get the surround sound to work great on its own but I cannot for the life of me get them to talk to each other. Any help would me MUCH appreciated! Thanks!!

BURST

Auditioning
Real Name
Abdul
I have exactly the same problem as above and my 1) TV: Panansonic LCD/ACL TC-32LC54 2) LG 850W 3D Blue-ray/DVD home theater system BH6420P I connected the home theater to TV with HDMI cable and the TV with the telus television cable by HDMI cable. Can some one help me have the TV channels audio through the home theater.

KillerKat

Auditioning
Real Name
Karen McCubbin
I need help too. I setup a surround system that seems to work great when we play a DVD but the TV only plays out of the 2 front speakers. Bluray - Sony BDP-S590 Receiver - Yamaha RX-V373 (supports 5.1 channels) Flat Screen - Panasonic TC-P60ST50 Dish Network - VIP722DVR XBox - 360 Speakers - Polkaudio - 2 front, 2 rear, 1 center & 1 subwoofer I believe I have it setup as follows... Bluray connected to Receiver via HDMI TV connected to Dish via HDMI TV connected to Receiver via Digital Audio cable Dish connected to Receiver via HDMI XBox connected to TV via HDMI The TV Input is setup HDMI 1 - Receiver, HDMI 2 - Home Theater, HDMI 3 - Computer when plugged in, R/W cables - XBox YC-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks