What's new

Can't get center channel to work. (1 Viewer)

jdiddy3175

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
Hello All! I am quite a novice when it comes to home theater set up so I am turning to you all for help. Let me give you a run down of my components. Receiver: JVC rx-d412b Floor Standing: (2) POLK AUDIO R50 for left and right. Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10 I want to add a recently purchased Polk Audio CS1 Series II Center Channel Speaker to the fray. I received the center channel yesterday, got it out of the box, set it up cut new speaker wire and connected it to my receiver but it won't work. I tried it with my directv, with my ps3 and with my computer inputs and none of them recognized the center channel. I tried playing blu-ray movies, dvd movies etc and got nothing. Now, i currently run all of my inputs (directv, ps3 & computer) to the receiver, run the speaker cables out to the subwoofer and from the subwoofer to the R50s. I figured it wouldn't matter where the R50 output comes from because I set up the center channel straight from the receiver itself. Can anyone help me with this? Let me know if you need any more information! Thanks for your help in advance!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You probably need to set up the receiver so that it knows there's a center channel.

A quick glance at the manual indicates there is an Auto Setup function called "Precise Surround Setup" starting on page 16. If you haven't redone the setup process, that's where you should start.

If you have done that, and still no sound, you can try manually turning on the center channel speaker (see page 30 of your manual). You should set all your speakers to "SML". Ignore what the manual says about woofer size. Setting speakers to "LRG" or "SML" really has nothing to do with their physical size and everything to do with the fact that you have a subwoofer.

If your center is set to "SML" and you re-run the setup process and STILL don't get anything, let us know and we can try other steps, but 9 times out of 10 the above process will solve your problem.

Good luck.

jdiddy3175

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
So I have an issue with the setup process. The PSS wants you to use headphones that were delivered with the receiver in order to complete the setup. I got this receiver in 2008 and have moved a few states away from where I was before and no longer have the headphones. When I try to complete this process with regular headphones I get the E05 error. This could mean that either the front speaker cables are loose (which I know they are not) or that the headphones for the precise setup system are not found. I don't know how to get around this process. I did try to do the manual turn on of the center channel speaker like you said and I can get the center channel to push noise through during setup but it won't let me finish the setup process. Now what do i do?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
OK,

Looks like without the special headphones/mic you can't run PSS. In this case, you should just turn the feature off. I think there's a "PSS" button on the remote that toggles the preset configuration on and off (there's also an indicator on the front panel that should reflect whether or not PSS is active or not). This is shown on page 18 of the manual.

At this point, with PSS set to off, but the center channel set to "SML" from the basic setup menu, you should be getting sound from the center speaker.

For testing purposes, use DirecTV and tune to an HD channel - preferrably a movie channel or something like DiscoveryHD that is more likely to broadcast a 5.1 audio track.

If you still aren't getting anything, try setting the "Auto Surround" mode using the remote. Cycle through these modes and hopefully you'll get SOMETHING from the center speaker.

Are all of your devices connected via HDMI? The PS3 is a tricky little bugger that I'm not terribly familiar with. If you have a chance, search the forum for "PS3 audio settings" to find out a bit more about how to configure a PS3 when connected to a receiver that does not support lossless audio.

Sorry this is turning out to be a problem... I think I can talk you through getting DirecTV working, but the PS3 and computer connections are a bit outside my comfort zone - too many places where settings might be wonky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks