What's new

Canon SD700IS camera error...thoughts/advice? (1 Viewer)

RodC

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everybody,

I have a Canon SD700 IS that, at best, has only seen light usage by my wife. Recently, it insists that the SD card is locked, in lieu of the fact I've checked repeatedly, even toggled the switch on the card to see if it would make a difference, and it hasn't. I've even tried multiple cards to no avail...the camera sees every card I insert as "locked." The camera was functioning perfectly fine, prior to removing the card to off load some pictures. To my knowledge, it wasn't until the next time the camera was to be used that the problem presented. I've written Canon and received a fairly quick, fairly generic reply that was of little help, ending with a, "you're going to have to send it in for repair, or we can give you a discount on a refurb'd unit" directive.

I'm not ready to send it in for repair, nor am I ready to buy a new camera, without first checking in here with the real experts, to see if anyone has had this problem with this or similar model, and what, if anything, was done to remedy the situation.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions,
Rod

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The Yahoo page referenced below suggests that if you use a SDHC card in the camera, you might see the card locked error -- and that this error might be intermittent (i.e., it sometimes "works" when you have no right to expect it to work).

The SD700IS is not SDHC-compatible, and standard SD cards top out at 2 GB. So if you're using cards that are larger than 2 GB, try switching to ones that are 2 GB or smaller.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091220201916AAJZgPL

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd700is.asp

RodC

Stunt Coordinator
That would be too easy. :) Of all the SD cards I had to 'test' with, they are all of older vintage, 2gig and under, pre-SDHC design. For the lack of something better to try, I've removed the battery and card and am trying to drain it completely, in hopes to reset something. A long shot, I'm sure, but at this point nothing else comes to mind.

Guess I better start paying more attention to the 'which new camera to buy' threads. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks