Canon 40D or XSi (450D) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Nice flash modifiers suggestions. I think I just have a sto-fen-type of flash cap for the time being, as I haven't quite delved into the flash control arena, but as long as I can find some economical (in size and price) solutions, I'll consider them.

$25 and you are done:

http://www.amazon.com/HonlPhoto-Speed-Strap-Mount-Flashes/dp/B000XB9GV0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274116067&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/HonlPhoto-Speed-Barndoor-Bounce-Flashes/dp/B000XB9GUG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274116067&sr=8-7

Of course, you can add on until you get crazy:

http://www.amazon.com/HONL-GOBO-HONL-GRID4-HONL-GRID8-HONL-SNOOT5-HONL-SNOOT8/dp/B00270VQTK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1274116207&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/HONL-GOBO-HONL-GRID4-HONL-GRID8-HONL-SNOOT5-HONL-SNOOT8/dp/B002B8TK82/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1274116207&sr=1-9

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
See, when I go take photos, I take thousands upon thousands at my usual few yearly conventions, so I try not to use my flash unless it's necessary for the shots, so going from the small point-n-shoots to dSLR in the convention settings, I'm trying to make that mental leap of dealing with all the 'stuff' (plus carrying lots of rechargeable AA batteries for the flash unit) and also getting the shot with minimal fuss, quickness, and good quality/exposure so I don't hold up my victims, err, subjects. I used to call it guerilla photography, so it should be an interesting experience to do it with a dSLR after a decade of using the quickie p-n-s digital cameras.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, I suspect you are going to get a much different reaction from your, er, targets.

Scenario #1: Quiet, smiling, vaguely asian man armed with a PnS? Harmless! =)

Scenario #2: Dude with his head buried behind a DSLR and big honkin flash unit? DANGER DANGER! Is this a fanboi with too much cash or someone who is potentially going to use these shots professionally?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have been told that you attend car shows, and go about taking photos of the car models, they tend to take your photo requests more seriously if you have serious photo gear with you.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Its very true. You show up with an SLR, big ole lens, with a tulip shade. A speedlite with a diffuser, and people take you seriously. Show up with all that and a pretty model, and they ask you to come over and shoot their car!

Doug

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hey now!

Pulled the trigger on the 17-55 f2.8 lens tonight, so hopefully I'll get it sometime next week to try it out.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Congrats on the new purchase, Pat!

Hope that lens works out great for yah.

RE: those other diffusers, I had previously considered getting Gary Fong's lightsphere some time ago as well. I may consider it again. Not too crazy about the Honl from what I can see in those links -- looks too troublesome to use. If I use a diffuser, I'd want it to be very quick-and-easy to attach/remove reliably (and store). Depending on the situation, I sometimes also try shooting w/ the flash way off the camera whether wirelessly or w/ sync cord (and likely on my collapseable Newton flash bracket in that case).

But ultimately, I'd prefer to not use flash, if I can avoid it.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Sam Posten ).

Presumably, the Gary Fong lightsphere will stay reliably in place much like a sto-fen omnibounce or similar type diffusers.

Also, I'd think the reflecting-type diffuser would require more repositioning/readjusting/reattaching as one switches from landscape to portrait mode (or whatever other angles one might choose to shoot from). Although that *might* actually present moderately more useful options for directing the flash light, that will probably also present more problems in practice too.

_Man_

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've become sort of a traditionalist when it comes to flash diffusers. On an older Sunpak strobe I use a PVC ID card blank that has a bit of velcro on it (the Sunpak has velcro left over from using a Lumiquest bouncer). When I use a Canon 580 EX II, I use the pull out white plastic "catchlight" reflector. There are limitations to this as it's largely dependent on having ceilings to bounce off and the white card is mostly to throw a bit of the light forward. Shooting in portrait is usually not as easy. But you can't beat it for convenience and after using the Omni Bounce and Lumiquest products I prefer the look of the card and ceiling bounce; the blank white card is also super cheap to replace if lost or damaged. The Honl looks interesting as something a little more "upscale" than the DIY approach, but it would still pain me if I lost it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm really wondering if I'll be able to go without using a flash at conventions with this faster lens because it would alleviate my having to walk around with tons of AA batteries in my bag and pockets since I only get about 225-250 flashes per set of 4 AA batteries (rechargeable). I'll have to see if just using the sto-fen caps, and tilt yields a good enough amount of light without washing out the subject in the photo. I think it did, but I don't have as much experience with a flash setup to know for sure, yet.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If low light is really the concern then you should just go ahead and get a Nikon D3s. We await your review!

As far as rechargables go, Eneloop all the way. 16 of those guys gets ya over 2k flash pops...

As far as the velcro thing, all I can say is that I've taken the setup in driving wind with no issues. And yet a simple tug in the right direction will remove it.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm really wondering if I'll be able to go without using a flash at conventions with this faster lens because it would alleviate my having to walk around with tons of AA batteries in my bag and pockets since I only get about 225-250 flashes per set of 4 AA batteries (rechargeable). I'll have to see if just using the sto-fen caps, and tilt yields a good enough amount of light without washing out the subject in the photo. I think it did, but I don't have as much experience with a flash setup to know for sure, yet.

I regularly shoot 300 to 500 shots per session with out seeing any fading of my rechargeable batteries. I use regular Energizer rechargeable batteries in my 430 EX. Make sure when you are buying rechargeables, that they are at least 2500 mAh rated. They will last longer and have faster cycle times on the flash.

Whenever I shoot in a practical location, I expose for the existing light, the flash is used just for fill and eye catch light. This means shooting at a higher ISO, around 800. This is one reason I use the Gary Fong diffuser, because of its ability to correct the flash to tungsten color temp.

Another thing to remember about shooting with the lens wide open, you are going to have VERY shallow depth of field. Focus is hyper critical in these situations. Also most lenses are not at their sharpest below about F4. So you may find that you have sharper, more pleasing images if you aren't shooting wide open.

Doug

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Do you just slap on the Fong diffuser and point the flash straight up?

Just got the lens's UPS tracking number...

I need to do an inventory of all my AA rechargeables, I have all sorts of them over the last decade of using my other digital cameras, and they weighed a ton, but I never wanted to be without batteries as long as I was snapping photos. I retired a bunch of the old AAs, but I think I probably have another 4-6 4-sets of AAs that was rated 2500mah or higher. I may pick up another 2-3 sets of 4 AAs just in case.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Do you just slap on the Fong diffuser and point the flash straight up?

Just got the lens's UPS tracking number...

I need to do an inventory of all my AA rechargeables, I have all sorts of them over the last decade of using my other digital cameras, and they weighed a ton, but I never wanted to be without batteries as long as I was snapping photos. I retired a bunch of the old AAs, but I think I probably have another 4-6 4-sets of AAs that was rated 2500mah or higher. I may pick up another 2-3 sets of 4 AAs just in case.
The Fong diffuser slips over the top of the flash. If your flash will rotate sideways, then you can turn it that way, and allow the flash to swing back and forth to shoot either verticals or horizontals, all the while the flash is pointed up.

This will give you an idea of how it works...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And my new lens finally showed up last night, the UPS guy actually showed up around 7 p.m., and I was worried I wouldn't be home to sign for it during the day, and then I'd have to go pick it up, but I guess UPS guy was late on deliveries, so it worked out for me.

Quick impressions: it's heavy, much more heavy than the kit lens (18-55mm), but it also feels more substantial too. Just took some quick shots inside my living room (so-so lighting), trying to get a feel of how much distance from the subject for full-body (wide angle) shots, and was happy to see it was about 5-6 feet, so that'll work. It's fast (both in AF and shutter speed, at least 2-3 stops over my kit lens), and then pushing the ISO up to 1600, it's even faster, will have to check on graininess later. I still hope to shoot at 200 to 400 ISO, though.

I have some killer shots of my red Swingline staple on my office desk with bokeh while testing the higher shutter speeds while pushing the ISO up in tandem. Haha.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I wore out my shutter/aperture wheel over the weekend (perhaps just over 10,000 shutter actuations). At some point, the wheel becomes non-responsive, and I end up having to take off the lens and the batteries, wait a few seconds, and then put both back onto the camera body for the wheel to work again. Is this something that will get worse with time, and even if I send it in for repair, I guess no guarantees it won't re-occur again after it going through the repair process?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would think that if Canon replaces the defective part(s), it should perform like new. Canon Service will give you a written repair estimate, so it may be worthwhile to send it in for them to assess the problem.

I have only used Canon Service once (for a recall on a EF 70-300mm IS lens I used to own), and they had a very quick turnaround for the repair.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought I was going to be stuck shooting at 1/100 speed for the last day of the convention. Wouldn't that be fun. At least it started malfunctioning at the very end of the day, so it wasn't as problematic as it could have been. I'll check with Canon and see if it's still under warranty (bought it in August of last year I think, need to find my emails/receipts).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I should have trusted my camera with the "Auto White Balance" mode because I tried using a custom WB while inside the big convention center with the lighting that was sort of on the orange-ish side, so I think the white balance is off on many of my photos I took, but I found that I would fix them by applying a cooling filter in Photoshop CS3, but I'm feeling a bit on the lazy side to process a bunch of photos with the orange-ish hue to them.

This is a shot of the more blu-ish white balance I initially got when I snapped an early photo inside, the EXIF says it was manually set (but I forgot which manual WB setting):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patcave/4686334037/in/set-72157624117337245/

But then I set the custom white balance (just pointed at a white table cloth to set it), and to my eye, it reflected more of the white balance I was seeing inside the room:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patcave/4686967646/in/set-72157624117337245/

so that's why I ended up using the custom white balance. But I wonder if I should have went with auto WB.

Here's a collection of the photos I took with the new lens, I still need a lot of practice in getting good shots on-the-fly, as I'd get even more lazy in correcting for exposure with different light conditions as I moved around the room, and not paying attention to the viewfinder information. But it was still good practice nonetheless.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patcave/collections/72157624123981151/

Just about everything was taken with the XSI and 17-55mm lens, except for some photos from the Dead Dog party, the Twenty-Two art exhibit, and maybe some artwork swag/loot photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks