What's new

Cannot get online after watching movie on Netflix with hdmi cord (1 Viewer)

Real Name
D
Hi all,

Immediately after watching a couple of movies on Netflix thru HDMI cord, all of a sudden my computer says that it cannot connect to the internet because there are no connections available.

I am a Mac girl but had to buy a new/used pc laptop for a class I'm taking. I am also the furthest from tech savvy that a person can get so I have no clue as to the steps I can take to restore my connections.

Right now I've got it hooked up via ethernet but really need this fixed today as I have to go to school later.

Please please PLEASE someone help me figure this out & in the most kindergarten wording.....actually, wait, aren't kindergarten children now learning on computers??? I'm a bit older and learned the old skool way!!!!

Thanks so much for all of your help!!!
D

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Howdee:

Ok, you have your PC hooked up to your Internet connection via ethernet.
You watch Netflix from your PC to your TV via HDMI. After watching
a couple of movies on Netflix (which uses the internet to connect so you
can watch the movies) you can no longer get on the internet.

Is this right?

I would first try rebooting your PC.

Packy

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Unless I'm not understanding your specific situation, the HDMI cord should have literally no effect on the status of your computer's Internet connection. The timing is likely just a coincidence, I think.

Go into the Control Panel, open "Network and Sharing Center" and look for anything that says "Disabled" or what have you. If rebooting doesn't fix the problem, of course, which it probably will.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We need to know what brand of laptop.

Acer have a button on the left side to turn on/off wifi, Bluetooth and fileshare.

If your "thumbtack" isn't flashing...your wifi is turned off. HP(on my prior DV6 and new DV7) you have to turn on the wifi via the icon on the bottom right of the screen...or in control panel.

So, what PC is this so we aren't guessing on what to tell you?

By the way, I mention it on the Acer cause notoriously people will press the wifi button while attaching or detaching their HDMI(as the button is right there above where you would instinctively stabilize the laptop while playing with the HDMI).

On my DV6 and DV7, wifi main on/off is F12.(which once you turn on the wifi "beacon"???) you still have to go to the icon, or control panel.

Real Name
D
it's an HP and I'm embarrassed to say but that is honestly all I know abt it & with my Mac, I can just go to the top toolbar & click on the apple to find out info on it but I don't know how to do that on the pc!

I'm gonna try the control panel route & get back with y'all!!

thank you all so much!!

Real Name
D
ok, I went to where it said 'internet options' and took a screenshot, maybe that will help you all to help me since my lack of tech savviness isn't enough!

Attachments

• Home theater screenshot 1.PNG
    Home theater screenshot 1.PNG
    123.1 KB · Views: 74
Real Name
D
maybe this one is better.....I don' tknow how to set up new connections, it just connected itself when I brought it home.....wait....now I don't remember, i'M Gonna see if I can figure it out

Attachments

• Capture 2 home theater.PNG
    Capture 2 home theater.PNG
    114.3 KB · Views: 72

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Yeah, that's not where you need to be at all.

Click "Start." Click "Control Panel." Click "Network and Sharing Center." Post screencap.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Which HP model? if the DV6 or 7...the "beacon" is the F12 key itself. It is possible in the middle of typing you missed the += key.

If the beacon is lit...and you can't get online afterward also make sure you go "into the driver" and make sure it is set "open" and not looking for a VPN.

I can't tell you specifically how to do that, unless you have a DV6 or DV7.

Real Name
D
ok so here is where I get stuck....it just keeps telling me there are no connections to connect to, once I'm at this point (screenshot attached)

I know it probably something simple.....clearly not simple enough for me to figure out :unsure:

Attachments

• Capture3 home theater.PNG
    Capture3 home theater.PNG
    178.9 KB · Views: 73

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, my Imac also has setting for "open"(not what it is called) or VPN. All computers do. And, if you bought this used, from a business use perspective, it is probably set VPN.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok...

"Change your network settings"

The first choice...

Set up a new connection of network(what does that screen look like once clicked)

Real Name
D
if, indeed, it is set VPN how do I get this situation fixed??

when I go to network sharing, I get a screenshot that I posted....

I really appreciate everyone helping me out with this

Real Name
D
it's thinking......

says to choose the wireless router or access point I want to configure, then below that it says it may take up to 90 seconds for unconfigured devices on your network to appear.

it's been over 90 sec

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How to tell if it is a DV6 or DV7...

That is a great question. I just looked at both and the only place either computer says it...is on the stickers...(that I never removed)

Not in the model number on the bottom...

Real Name
D
there is an option below 'set up new connection or network' that says 'connect to a network' which below that it says something about VPN, 'connect or reconnect to a wirelesss, wired, dial-up or VPN network connection.

When i click on that a box in the lower right hand corner comes up saying 'not connected' 'no connections are available'

I don't know how to go 'into the driver' ----

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now I'm going to ask the ultimate dumb question...

You have removed the LAN?

Unlike a MAC...most PC based computers you can't set up wifi if the LAN is connected.

Also, once you click "set-up" (shows me post 7 of 7...)

What does that show?

Real Name
D
I went thru the troubleshooting and it says to 'use the switch on the front or the side of the computer or function keys if available to enable wireless capability on this computer'

is this where I should hold the function key down by the left shift button, hold that down while also clicking on f12?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You should also check "Privacy" and make sure that is set where it isn't blocking "unknown" connections.

All computers, once, will connect to an unknown network long enough to determine if it is known/unknown. Which I'm guessing your settings in this computer were never taken back to "square one" and is causing your issue now.

And if you are on VPN settings, you may need to walk into a computer fix-it shop and let them take 5 minutes to change it over...and they probably wouldn't even charge you to do it. (they would have to do this to diagnose it anyway...and most computer fix-it places do a free diagnosis)

I had to do that for an Asus my niece bought while in college. She bought it for the "college campus" and when she left campus the first time it was "blind". I wasn't familiar enough with it to clear it. The guy had it seeing networks in 3 minutes and didn't charge me for doing it. Also showed me how to "set it back" for campus use.

Once I knew what it needed...it is 10 seconds to change settings back and forth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks