What's new

Cancelled TV Shows DVD Release Dates (2 Viewers)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
While not necessarily 'remaining seasons', with yesterday's release (here in the US), we are down to 10 remaining Doctor Who stories to be released on DVD. That means over 92% of the existing stories (126/136) have been released. Expect 5 more this year and last 5 next year.
So, 11 1/2 years (give or take a month or two) to finish the 26 year run (the first US release was on 9/11 - you either got them a day early, or months late).
David

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man /t/294898/cancelled-tv-shows-dvd-release-dates/300#post_3914120
Speaking of the Complete Fat Albert, I have to say appreciate Shout's complete series releases the most out of all releases, because with complete series releases, you have the whole thing in one shot with no wondering if another season will come out.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but if I remember correctly, some (all?) Season 1 episodes were remade for later seasons by removing the songs and tacking on Brown Hornet segments at the start of the episode (the one I can think of off the top of my head involves two white kids transferring into their school). If I remember this correctly, would the "complete" Fat Albert include both the Brown Hornet segments and the songs?

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Mark Talmadge said:
I think that you guys have 'classic' defined wrong. I define classic TV, as what the topi states, as anything being prior to the 1990's. I don't consider TV shows like Seinfeld, Babylon 5 or Jag as being 'classic' because they really aren't.
According to you. But ONLY to you. Many critics and ordinary people see all three shows as being modern classics, the first two especially for the scripts and characters. Not all of TV has to be about really nice people (Seinfeld), and I would think that, given the patriotism of many of the people here on this forum regarding politics, JAG would be a show that most of you would devour with relish; also, Babylon 5 is one of the all-time greats of Sci-Fi TV. I wonder how most of the (now) obscure older programs would fare right now-my guess is that the would be considered quite dated.

MrsMac

Agent
Real Name
Kim Andrew
Sure would love to see all of WKRP on DVD/blu-ray. Also Newhart where the Loudon's own the inn.
Reading that Shout! is bringing out many older releases is disheartening to me as they hardly ever adds CC/sub-titles. Their email to me stated (in part):
Thank you for your inquiry. I apologize for any inconvenience our movies may have caused you in regards to subtitles and closed captions. We have made it a priority to include subtitles on all major releases, however, on a percentage of our smaller releases we are unable to do so due to disc size and capabilities. (For example, if we are unable to include a menu on a disc we cannot offer subtitles.)
I wrote back and told them they'd lost several hundred dollars in sale from us, and they didn't respond. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sky Captain said:
According to you. But ONLY to you. Many critics and ordinary people see all three shows as being modern classics, the first two especially for the scripts and characters. Not all of TV has to be about really nice people (Seinfeld), and I would think that, given the patriotism of many of the people here on this forum regarding politics, JAG would be a show that most of you would devour with relish; also, Babylon 5 is one of the all-time greats of Sci-Fi TV. I wonder how most of the (now) obscure older programs would fare right now-my guess is that the would be considered quite dated.
Truth is that the people on Seinfeld really weren't nice people they were self absorbed and selfish.
Still a classic though, one of the best ever but Jag not so much.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
TonyD said:
Truth is that the people on Seinfeld really weren't nice people they were self absorbed and selfish.
Still a classic though, one of the best ever but Jag not so much.
I think you need to look at TV by the decade
1. 1950s - TV first came out - so you could treat it as the gold years
2. 1960s - was a turmoil decade with color tv shows in 1965
3. 1970s - Disco/Southern Rock - saturday morning cartoons, mini-series,
4. 1980s - family sitcoms
5. 1990s - start of the internet era and reality shows
6. 2000s - reality, reality, reality
I think depending on what era you grew up in there was special spot for TV. I was born in the late 1960s and was generation that spent time playing outside in park. My house had only one color TV, but 2nd TV was black & white. It was very hard to follow a show, because you had to share the TV with siblings. My brothers liked different things, i.e. Doctor Who, Magnum PI, Mannix, etc.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I couldn't have grown up at a better time. I was born in 1950. I'm a First Generation TV viewer all the way.
I separate everything, not just TV, into before and after 1965. I like pretty much everything before 1965 and don't like pretty much anything after 1965. :D

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I was born in 1959, so TV was well into it's "Golden Era" by then. Until 1965 we only had Two Sets (A Color TV Set in the Living Room which my Parents CONTROLLED when they were in the Room). and another set in my Parent's Bedroom, which they'd let me or my Sister watch if what they were watching didn't interest us. Yes, there were times my Sister wanted to watch one show while I wanted to watch another, but my Parents made it a rule where we'd take places "Controlling" that TV set (In other words I would have "First Pick" one night, my sister would get that pick the following night). On Christmas of 1965 both of us got black and white TV Sets to put in our rooms. One of the first things I did was to attach a wire to the Antenna, and string the other end (The Spool was 100' long) up the Tree in our backyard so I could get better reception of the Stations in Toledo, Ohio. (I was living in the Detroit Area at the time). My Father had a HISSY FIT :eek: when he found out what I did, because he feared Lightning hitting the Tree and going straight into the house. Fortunately for me, he allowed me to cut the wire in two, so I could attach the segments when I was watching, and disconnect them when I wasn't watching (Or when a Thunderhead "Announced" it's presence (Usually when I was engrossed in a favorite Movie!)). :laugh: Over the years I saw TV Shows come and go, whenever they got cancelled new shows would take their place, so I liked, some I didn't. Some the cancelled ones came back in syndication, others never did. Then a little something called "Home Video" made its appearance. At first the units cost over $2,500.00 apiece! :laugh: The TV studios didn't want anything to do with them, claiming it was illegal to record their shows with them. But then the US Supreme Court declared it wasn't illegal, and soon those recorders came down in price to where I could afford one. Then a little something called DVDs made their appearance. I had no idea how much these would change my TV Viewing, but today all you have to do is look at my Signature. Thanks to these little buggers, I can watch a lot of shows that I enjoyed while I was younger, and without those pesky Commercials! :D And yes, it delights me when I find a TV Show I hadn't seen in ages (Because it was NEVER Syndicated) become available on DVD. It's like welcoming an old friend you haven't seen in a while. :cool:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
No word on Gunsmoke yet so I'm a little worried. I was majorly bummed when Netflix stopped streaming it. However, just recently discovered METV channel and now watch Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Big Valley back to back to back! I'm in heaven now with METV and ANTENNAE TV. That's all I ever watch!:D

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I'm still hoping for some complete series sets and some new shows from CBS/Paramount especially if they do MOD through Amazon so those of us outside the US can buy including
Hack (2002) - Season 1 - Starring David Morse
Three Rivers (2009) - Complete Series - Starring Katherine Moennig

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Well and good; then you should also be recording said shows on a DVD recorder, and getting them while they're still being shown on said channels. That will do more for you than hoping that Paramount and 20th Century Fox put them on home video.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Are you kidding? Fox has implied time and time again that they wouldn't be caught dead releasing older shows on DVD on their own ever again.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Update for:
Touched by an Angel Season 6
Rawhide Season 5
Dave's World Season 3
Night Court Season 6
39ebc864_51476033.jpeg

BobSchneider

Second Unit
YES!!!!!! Harry O one of all time favorite PI shows!!!!! one of my holy grail shows more news here :) http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Harry-O-Season-1/17210

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks