What's new

Cancelled TV Shows DVD Release Dates (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Update for Oct 4, 2012[/COLOR]

This thread lists the release dates for upcoming shows on dvd. The release dates are from the tv-on-dvd site, not Amazon or studio sites. For the sake of brevity, I have primarily limited the list to U.S. shows that are getting complete (or half) season releases, and have steered clear of most reissues, "best-ofs," and UK shows. But all rules can be broken; if I left a favorite show off this list, let me know and I'll pop it on for ya. I will take note of reissues that are a marked upgrade on old releases, such as a new Bluray version or a remastered set that substantially corrects mistakes from prior releases. Note on cartoons: I generally only list primetime cartoons and older classic Saturday morning releases. To list all the cable and syndie cartoons from the past 30 or so years would be a little...too...much...work! If anyone wants me to add any of them, again, just drop a note.
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 128)]1950s:[/COLOR]
Mr. Lucky Complete Series (Timeless, Oct 16)
Peter Gun Complete Series (Timeless, Oct 23)
Yancy Derringer Complete Series (Timeless, Oct 9)

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]1960s:[/COLOR]
Bonanza Season 4, Vol 1 (CBS/Paramount, Oct 2)
Bonanza Season 4, Vol 2 (CBS/Paramount, Oct 2)
the Dick VanDyke Show Complete Series (Image, Oct 30) [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Blu-ray re-release[/COLOR]
the Donna Reed Show Season 5, (MPI, Dec 4)
the Fugitive Complete Series (CBS/Paramount, Oct 23) re-release
Gunsmoke Season 6, Vol 2 (CBS/Paramount, Oct 16)
Hazel Season 4 (Shout, Dec 11)
The Lucy Show Season 6 (CBS/Paramount, Oct 9)
Mission Impossible Complete Series (CBS/Paramount, Dec 11) re-release
My Favorite Martian Season 3 (MPI, Oct 30)
Perry Mason Season 7 Vol. 2 (CBS/Paramount, Oct 23)
Perry Mason Season 8 Vol. 1 (CBS/Paramount, Nov 27)
[COLOR= rgb(51, 102, 255)]1970s:[/COLOR]
All in the Family Complete Series (Shout!, Oct 30) re-release
Big John, Little John Complete Series (VCI, Oct 2)
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century Season 2 (Universal, Jan 8) re-release
Cannon Season 3 (Warner Archive, no date specified) MOD Only
Charlie's Angels Complete Series (Sony, Sept 25)
Columbo Complete Series (Universal, Oct 16)
Fantasy Island Season 3 (Shout!, Oct 23)
Fat Albert Complete Series (Shout!, No date specified)
Grizzly Adams Season 1 (TMG, Nov 6)
Here's Lucy Season 6 (MPI, Dec 18)
In Search Of... Complete Series (VEI, Oct 23)
Kojak Season 5 (Shout Factory, Sept 11)
Mannix Season 8 (CBS/Paramount, Dec 4)
McMillan and Wife Complete Series (VEI, Oct 23)
Shazam! Complete Series (Warner Archive, Oct 23)
Streets of San Francisco Season 5, Vol. 1 & 2 (CBS/Paramount, Oct 30)
VanDyke & Company Complete Series (MPI, Sept 25)

[COLOR= rgb(0, 204, 255)]1980s:[/COLOR]
Cagney & Lacey Complete Series (VEI, Winter 2012?)
Diff'Rent Strokes Season 4 (Shout!, Nov 20)
Scarecrow and Mrs. King Season 4 (Warner, Jan 22)
Simon & Simon Season 7 (Shout!, Oct 16)
Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2 (CBS/Paramount, Dec 4) Blu-ray re-release
[COLOR= rgb(153, 204, 255)]1990s:[/COLOR]
Friends Complete Series (Warner, Nov 13) Blu-ray re-release
JAG Complete Series (CBS/Paramount, Dec 4) [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]re-release[/COLOR]
Roseanne Season 5 (Mill Creek, Sept 4) [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]re-release[/COLOR]
Roseanne Season 6 (Mill Creek, Sept 4) [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]re-release[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(204, 153, 255)]2000s:[/COLOR]

Law & Order Season 11 (Universal, Nov 6)
the Simpsons Season 15 (Fox, Dec 4)
Wolf Lake Complete Series (eOne, Nov 6)

Rumored and Unscheduled Releases:
Note: Some of these series are definitely coming out, but do not necessarily have definite dates or specs provided to us by the studios.

Dynasty Season 7 (U.K. release only so far)
Dynasty Season 8 (U.K. release only so far)
Dynasty Season 9 (U.K. release only so far)
the Jackson 5ive Show animated (2012?)
Matlock Season 8 (CBS, ?)
My Favorite Martian Season 3 (MPI, 2012?)
Ozzie and Harriet (2013?)
Wizards and Warriors Complete Series (Warner Archive, pending restoration work)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I would just like to add, however, as a point of discussion, that I certainly hope CBS/Paramount knows what it's doing. They're plugging away with more half-seasons, but the releases seem few and far between. I can't imagine why we have to wait nearly a year between 1/2 seasons releases of Dynasty and other such shows. It's always good news when they're coming out, but if they keep adding new series to the mix like Barnaby Jones, then god knows how long it's going to take them to poop out another volume of the Love Boat and so on--

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
thought I'd make a little thread listing all the classic releases that we can look forward to. This thread is for all those fans who seem to believe that classic tv-on-dvd is dead.

Guess that's directed squarely at me. That's OK. I'm not happy about thinking we are on the downside of classic TV on DVD. Believe me, I'd much rather see evidence that supports we are still seeing just as many vintage shows being released now as last year at this time. But the evidence does NOT support that.

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
TV" (for the sake of this thread) refers to any show that is no longer on the air, whether it be from the 1950s or from 5 years ago.
Ah, and here's the rub. Sure, if you want to expand the definition of "Classic TV" to anything up to the last few years then you'll easily find evidence that things aren't that dire. But if my definition is used: Shows that had to have their start before or by 1970 then you'll see we are on a severe downward slope of releases. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. But since this is your thread and you've set the guidelines, I'll say no more.

Gary "the list significantly shrinks when different definitions are applied" O.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I think that you guys have 'classic' defined wrong. I define classic TV, as what the topi states, as anything being prior to the 1990's. I don't consider TV shows like Seinfeld, Babylon 5 or Jag as being 'classic' because they really aren't.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
For me, when it comes to defining a "Classic", I like to refer to the definition: "having lasting significance or worth; enduring". Which signifies a certain age has to be attained first before it can even be considered. Now that age is different for different folks. Isn't it 25 years for cars to be considered a classic, and even then isn't it considered a moden day classic.

With TV you can only go back but so far. For me, I would say a true classic is before the 1970's. Maybe it is an individual's age thing that comes into play. While some shows between the 70's and 90's could be considered modern day classics based on a presumption they colud be true classics some day.

Another way to view classic pertains to a significant period in time for the subject. For example, the "Golden Age of TV", which ran between the 1940's and early 1960's when many shows reached crticial acclaim.

So maybe breaking up the list as true classics, pre 70's and modern day classics 70's through 90's would help differentiate the groups and allow the list to be accessible to more people based on what they consider to be a classic.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by smithb /forum/thread/294898/classic-tv-release-date-thread#post_3629530
So maybe breaking up the list as true classics, pre 70's and modern day classics 70's through 90's would help differentiate the groups and allow the list to be accessible to more people based on what they consider to be a classic.
I might do that at some point. For now I don't want to freak out over the term "classic." It's just a thread about U.S. primetime tv shows that are no longer on the air.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Brad, good post. I think I see "classic" in the same way. I'm also pretty sure that it has a lot to do with the age groups. For me, since I'm a 'Boomer, I tend to think of the classic era as around what Gary and you mentioned, pre-70's. But I also like your idea of "modern" classics since I have a lot of 70's - 80's sets in my collection with a very few 90's ones.

If it were me defining the shows of the past, it would be something like...

Traditional Classics: 50's - 60's
Modern Classics: 70's - mid 90's

After around '97 or so, I've been out of network and series TV.

Having said all of that, I have to agree with Gary here and say that our deifnitions of "classic" releases have declined over the past year. This time last year we were still seeing some great classic releases, Lone Ranger, Wagon Train color/BW set, etc. We're still seeing some, but if you remove CBS/P and Shout!, the choices really drop off after that.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
For the record, I also look at the "classics" in the way Brad does. I was simply explaining, per the first post where Ethan mentioned people who felt "Classic TV on DVD" was waning, why I was one of those people. I'm one of those people because I'm generally most interested in older vintage shows from the 50's and 60's, although there are certainly shows from the 70's, 80's, and early 90's that I would also buy if released. And I'd have no problem classifying them as Modern Day Classics. THE WONDER YEARS, as one example, would be a show I'd put in that category.

All I'm really saying is IF you look at classics like Brad, Jeff and I do, then you have to admit we've seen a significant decrease in the output. There are far fewer titles coming out right now from the b/w and early era of color TV than last year at this time. Far fewer. So within the framework of what I'd consider "Classic TV on DVD" I stand by my assertion that there has been a slowdown. I also think Jeff is spot on with his remarks that if it were not for CBS/P and Shout we'd really be in a pickle. Timeless is the only other company really making any kind of dent. Without those three, it would truly be slim pickens.

But I have no desire to invade on Ethan's thread. He has every right to define "Classic" as he wishes and certainly with his definition on the table he can effectively argue that there is no real decline. So to each his own.

Gary "take care, everyone" O.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Definitions aside, I think this thread is a good idea.

But, Ethan, I think your list could benefit from some formating, perhaps breaking it down by decade, and putting the rumored releases in a separate list.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker /forum/thread/294898/classic-tv-release-date-thread#post_3629685

Definitions aside, I think this thread is a good idea. But, Ethan, I think your list could benefit from some formating, perhaps breaking it down by decade, and putting the rumored releases in a separate list.
The only thing I was willing to do is separate the Rumored Releases from the actual upcoming releases. Thank you for the idea! I think I may break it down by decade later on, too, therefore everybody's individual idea of what is "classic" will be more easily categorized lol. I personally don't discriminate as strongly as others in this forum. To me, "classic tv" is good tv, and I don't care if that means it aired 50 years ago or ten years. A lot of people think shows like Jag or Beverly Hills 90210 were rubbish, but they were both on the air for 10 seasons because they meant something to a lot to people. And it wouldn't be fair to discriminate those series from a list such as this because the fact that they've been so successful on dvd prove that they're still meaningful to some people. The same people who love 90s shows probably feel that 50s shows are boring. But it makes no difference to me; they all get included--I can't tailor this thread to the particular tastes of individual forum members because that would mean I'd have to make 5 threads, and this is an all-in-one.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Eventually breaking it up by decades would ultimately satisfy everyone. Especially, as the list grows. Also, removing the initial "the"'s would improve readability.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by smithb /forum/thread/294898/classic-tv-release-date-thread#post_3629786

Eventually breaking it up by decades would ultimately satisfy everyone. Especially, as the list grows. Also, removing the initial "the"'s would improve readability.
Great! I'll get right on that! In the meantime, does anybody want me to come over and wash their cars for them?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /forum/thread/294898/classic-tv-release-date-thread#post_3629993
Great! I'll get right on that! In the meantime, does anybody want me to come over and wash their cars for them?
You created the thread with I am assuming the purpose that it be useful. In doing so you also accepted the responsibility of maintaining it and accepting positive and negative feedback. If that was not the plan then maybe you should not have taken on the task by creating it in the first place.
No worries...I will back away and no longer participate.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Good discussion! I must say the release schedule has dwindled down considerably since I first started collecting tv-on-dvd. Much of that, as Ethan says, is attributed to Sony's drop out of the tv-on-dvd market. They are not strong players anymore. However, it's sad to see Paramount heading that way as well. I agree about the long wait between half-seasons. They are trying to be way too cautious to the point where they are hurting themselves. Case in point: The Lucy Show. They're waiting a whole year between Seasons 1 & 2. Fans are a bit miffed by this because, at this rate, completion will not happen until 2012 or 2013 if it even makes it that far. With all the complaining I've read all over various message boards, I find it hard to believe that sales are the deciding factor. TV fans are still buying. But they can't buy what's not out there.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by smithb /forum/thread/294898/classic-tv-release-date-thread#post_3629995
You created the thread with I am assuming the purpose that it be useful. In doing so you also accepted the responsibility of maintaining it and accepting positive and negative feedback. If that was not the plan then maybe you should not have taken on the task by creating it in the first place.
No worries...I will back away and no longer participate.
Actually, I created this thread assuming the forum members all had a sense of humor. Since that is clearly not the case, I too, will back away and not participate...
...nahh!!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all the complaining I've read all over various message boards, I find it hard to believe that sales are the deciding factor.
So if it's not a lack of sales, what is it that's making the studios decide not to make money? It'd be great if every show ever made was released but it's nearly all decided by sales (or what they project the sales to be).

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /forum/thread/294898/classic-tv-release-date-thread#post_3630012
Actually, I created this thread assuming the forum members all had a sense of humor. Since that is clearly not the case, I too, will back away and not participate...
...nahh!!!
okay...just a suggestion, emoticons are a useful way to represent intent or mood within a textual representation. As such, it is a useful mechanism to avoid potentail misunderstandings. Just food for thought /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
That's a great question and one that I think we would all be interested in learning the answer to. I'm just saying that sales are not always what make or break the decision to release a show. CBS totally underestimated and continues to underestimate sales of "The Lucy Show" and it is working against them. I mean, there is only so much you can bank on. If every show is treated like this, nothing would ever get released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks