What's new

Canada gets some good candy and potato chips (2 Viewers)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My favorite of the LE chips was when hostess was around, they had a Buffalo Wing flavored chip that was just great!

I heard that Old Dutch in Canada test marketed both grape and orange flavored chips in Sask. I couldn't imagine what those would taste like!

On my trip to the states, I couldn't beleive how large your candy is, you had "Lik-Em-Aid" in a four flavor jumbo pack with 2 large lick-em sticks! I stocked up on them, as we only have 2 flavors.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i new kit kat just apeared at WaWa this week.
regular 4 bar but it is extra creamy ltd ed

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Russell: have you tried the RAVE buffalo wing chips? those are sooooo good and spicy...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Canada...Candy...Canada...Candy????? Hmmmmm? connection????

Oooooooooooooooo!!!!!! I love Canada mints! Wintergreen!!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i found aero at my local supermarket, (acme).
it seems just to be a regular chocolate bar with lots of
air pockets.
:thumbsdown:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Isn't that what a "Chunky" is like? If so, I like it. The air pockets give the chocolate a neat texture. Almost like ice cream...which I guess makes sense considering all the air in ice cream.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

You ate it wrong, You're supposed to put it in your mouth, and just ... let it melt.... odn't chew just, let it melt!

*as told to us through the commercials. The Aero Dark is a personal favorite, although the mint green is pretty damn good (Brown milk chocolate covering the minty green bubbly center YUM!)

Kami

Screenwriter
Do you guys have Mrs. Vickie's chips in the states? They have some of the best and most unique flavors. The weirdest one is probably "Lime and Black Pepper" but it's actually really good.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Bringing this thread up again...

A co-worker just came back from Vancouver and brought back Coffee Crisps. I tried it...It was really good, like a mocha Kit Kat. I'm not a big fan of mocha, so I couldn't see myself eating these all the time, but the one I had was really good.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

I had this last week; I prefer sea salt & black pepper flavoured kettle-cooked chips.

My favourite of all time was actually Mr. Vickies, but it's no longer being produced. :frowning:

RainC

Auditioning
All the things mentioned here are available in Aussieland. Of course, the Lays ketchup are called Tomato Sauce.

Smarties are a huge part of an Aussie kid's life. Grew up on them....and that was many years ago. Here in Australia you can get packets of them with all the one colouring.

I wonder if it is a Commonwealth thing???

Just my thoughts....
~RainC~

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And now about liquorice (Dutch: drop) - which hardly isn't there in the US or Canada (if at all). Certainly not the 2000+ varieties (sweet or salty or combined with peppermint or salmiac) readily available over here (and some in the UK too, especially my personal favourite, Liquorice All Sorts, known as "English Liquorice" in my country).

And why do we have to pack so many sandwich fillings for our relatives living in Canada and the US? Especially chocolate sprinkles and other varietes. Next to the bags of liquorice, of course.

In fact, the absence of the stuff in countries to which Dutch people emigrated makes it become a whole new business.
Dutch treats, based in the UK, so the name is suspicious. ;)

BTW, in my definition chips aren't "sweeties" and jelly (jam) cannot possibly be combined with peanut butter. :)

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mark,

That's an excellent list! They have many of the most popular stuff. Even "Spekken"! Well-known by every kid, for more than 100 years. :)

Hopefully they'll add pictures one time.
I just read that the Dutch together buy more than 140 million Euro worth of liquorice per annum (about 8 billion dropjes). :b

Cees

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Cees, the photos (from your "bags of licorice" link) are just like what they have at the Dutch Store (i.e. the triangluar "Cake Icing" bag type thing).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:D

Kevin,

The first time I ever heard of peanut butter-and-jelly was half a century ago. There was some manifestation or whatever of the American Army in our country (of the troops stationed in West-Germany) and the US Embassy had asked for citizens who would be willing to offer (free) lodgings for three days to a soldier (I think it was done through the church, or so).

My parents had volunteered and we had Jim (I remember his last name too) in our house, using our guest sleeping room and having breakfast and diner with the family (well, his breakfast was our lunch, most of his duties were in the afternoon and my parents let him sleep as long as he wished).

We had peanut butter and we had jam, but the first time he added both to one sandwich, our mouths fell open. He explained that it was a very common treaty in the US and for several years we had a good story when we told about this "strange" taste ("You know what they like on their bread in America? Etc.). :)

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks