What's new

Can you terminate DVI cables yourself? (1 Viewer)

Steve Jenkins

Auditioning
I have a DLP television (Samsung HLN567W) that is built into the wall above the fireplace. I have component and composite cable pulled through the wall. I would like to pull a DVI cable through the wall from the A/V rack to the DLP. The standard DVI cable will not be able to fit through the openings. Is it possible to pull just the DVI cable without the terminations and then terminate each end? The engineers at my place of work say it can be done if I have a diagram of the wiring connections to the dvi adapter.

KurtBJC

Agent
Well, it's not at all easy, and for practical purposes, it's just about impossible. First, raw connectors are very hard to come by; I don't know anybody who sells them in consumer-friendly quantities. Second, I haven't been able to find a connector shell of a screw-on type; everybody uses molded-on bodies, and of course that's not an easy thing to do unless you have a connector molding press in your house. Third, all of the pin bodies I've seen for these are very unfriendly for solder termination; no solder cups, just flat blades, very close to one another. I solder multipin connectors all the time, and won't touch these.

If you can get an HDMI connector through the hole, you might be able to use some combo of a DVI/HDMI cable and a DVI/HDMI adapter; pull the HDMI end through, then apply the adapter to that end. Just a thought...

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
I ran into the same problem when I wall-mounted my LCD to the wall. What I ended up doing was I got one of these retrofit wall plate and used a decora plate to cover up the big hole. Since it's behind the panel, the finish is not too bad.

I've found a site that sells DVI adapter for decora style plate. But if memory serves, it was about $60 US for such a plate. Too much for me,

Hope it helps,

Simon

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, I was going to get you the link where I found the face plate earlier and I found this:

http://www.datapro.net/products/70400.html

$9.95. Much cheaper than the one I found earlier. They also have different face plates for USB, PS2, etc.

Worth check it out. However, I haven't bought anything from them yet so don't know their quality of service.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks