What's new

Can you recommend a Region Free DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

Patricia

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the info, but I'm just gonna forget the whole thing altogether and send back the dvds I ordered when they get here.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Patricia,

If your Emerson happens to be the EMD-2100, it can be converted to multi-region with just a few remote keystrokes. Other models I can't help with.

-Lyle J.P.

PaulDW

Auditioning
Does anybody know of a multi region dvd player that can hold more than 1 disc at a time for music cd's?

I'd like to put a few cd's on and hit "shuffle" mode so it plays songs randomly.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'm going to buy the NeuNeo/Helios HVD-2085 in August or September...

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I have the Cyberhome 300, and it works well for the most part. I bought it so that I could play the Region 2 Laurel and Hardy set. The problem I have is that the lip sync gets progressively more out of sync as I play a program.

Does anyone else experience this?

I'd be willing to upgrade (Oppo?) if that would solve the problem.

Thanks

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the Daewoo S151 - best $34 I ever spent - from Sam's Club. I was kind of leery about buying it because I'd heard of people having issues with it breaking within months, but I've had it for about 3 years and it works just as perfectly now as it did when I bought it, even with heavy use. Region-free, PAL/NTSC compatible out of the box, with a PAL-NTSC converter built-in. Yummy.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: :laugh:

lip sync is not terribly reliable on the oppo. In fact, it's one of the perennial complaints.
And it's only a real bargain if you can use dvi. Basically, the unusually stellar chipset is only hooked up to the dvi. If you use the component outputs, a comparable picture can be had for far less. After all, it is $200--$250. Not exactly entry-level.

One last thing... If for some strange reason you can use non HDCP encoded DVI, the Oppo is for you. I suppose there exist DVI to component/VGA converters that won't necessarily attract DMCA lawsuits.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
One good thing about the oppo, it outputs Native PAl as well as converting PAL to NTSC. If you have a monitor or a projector that can accept a native PAL signal, you will see more resolution on those discs. 576 vs. 480

:)

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Re Neuneo 2085: I have one and wrote here several posts about it, do a search.
in short:
the good: for correctly flagged DVDs excellent picture via upconversion to 1080i (over component OR HDMI!!), regionfree and PALcompatible out of the box, with new firmware user operation prohibition (non skippable trailers etc.) is switched off
the bad: DVDs with wrong flags, especially in PAL, show artefacts, since it is a flagreading deinterlacer. Picture quaility in NTSC 480i is bad, no black below black, build quality is mediocre.

hope this helps

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I have the NeuNeo player and like it but much less expensive region free players can be found. Build quality is suspect but mine is holding up fine. I probably don't have any improperly flagged Pal discs, in fact I only have a few but I am sure if does poorly with them.

Chris

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It looks like the Helios HVD-2085 is the only player that makes sense for those with component only TVs.

For anyone with one of these and a 16:9 set - how does it handle 4:3 material? My (now dead) Toshiba player would blacken out the side pillars, while the TV goes grey natively.

I'm a little (a lot actually) leery of these Chinese players. The Malata 520 I bought died after only a few dozen discs, which of course was just after the warranty expired. Even at a couple hundred bucks, I don't want to play 10 discs and have a new player crap out.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Just finished reading this thread and I'm still confused. I would like to get a entry-level region free DVD player that does good PAL to NTSC conversion. My limitation would be my old television, which would only be able to accept a standard video or S-Video connection. Any suggestions (other than junking my old TV)?

DanielBrown

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Brown
I bought a Philips DVP642 about a month or so ago for $60 at Target and it works great for me. Does PAL -> NTSC out of the box, and you can make it region free with your remote. Ive been satisfied with the conversion on my cheapo standard 21 inch tv

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I use a JVC XVSA-70 that besides being muti-regional also does perfect PAL-to-NTSC conversion. Personally I recommend against "cheap" players. It has beem my long experience with electronic equipment that you "get what you pay for"!

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I have a Phillips myself and until yesterday it waas working great. Yesterday it started not reading any disks at all. It says disk loading for several minutes, then it says No disk. I tried running a laser cleaner disk, bur it did not help. The same disks it read with no problem just last week. Any ideas as to why it is doing this? This is for region 1 and 2 disks that it read just fine last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks