What's new

Can you really walk on a plane with a 4" knife???? (1 Viewer)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
As far as I know, they are working on developing this technology, they have tested it with good results and as soon as it's thoroughly tested it will be implemented.
The technology already exists for planes to autopilot themselves fully. However there are a great deal of political reasons why this has never been implemented. Pilot unions for one thing who would resent being put out of a job.
I wouldn't mind a means for ground controllers to tell the plane to disable manual controls and proceed on its preassigned flight path. This way hackers can't tell the plane to go somewhere its not supposed to, as the uplink doesn't have that degree of control, and hijackers can be locked out.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I've carried a pocket knife with me everywhere I go for the last 25 years. The only time I ever had to check it was when I flew in Europe.
The stupidity of this new FAA reg is truly overwhelming. If someone is determined, they can kill someone with a ballpoint pen. Are we going to ban those too?
The FAA needs to focus on cockpit security and physical security of the aircraft. I don't think any passengers will ever let hijackers take control of an airplane again no matter what they are armed with. It must be assumed that ANY hijacking attempt in the future will be for terrorist attacks and all passengers should dedicate themselves to the task of taking control of the aircraft at any cost. As a last resort, I would even be willing to open the cabin door if necessary. That'll definitely slow them down and an inexperienced hijacker pilot would most likely lose control of the aircraft.
I also think that pilots that are ex-military and with sufficient security clearance should be allowed to carry a sidearm at their discretion. This, along with armed sky marshalls randomly assigned to flights, will make hijackers possibilty of success even less likely in the future.
------------------
Andrew in Austin
------------------
Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
Infinity SM Video (center)
Infinity SM 165 (surround)
Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I've traveled with a mini keychain leatherman.
I'm in total agreement with improving cockpit security and having armed security on flights. The cost for adding these and other types of measures is miniscule compared to the value of human lives.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Somewhat related:
What's a curbside check-in? I've only flown a couple international flights, and checked in at the counter.
What were the advantages?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
To all those who quibble about increased security, and how it will infringe on their personal rights.
First, you are being asked to do no more than has been standard in Britain and most of the rest of Europe for twenty or so years, and it causes not one jot of criticism or grief.
Second, these are no knee-jerk reactions - they are measures your airlines should have been taking for decades. This is an unpalatable thought, but could the events of Sept 11th have happened if European-level security measures had been in place?
Third, if you allow the *slightest* laxity in security, terrorists will exploit it.
Fourth, of course metal knives are not the only weapons which could be used, but they, along with bombs and guns are the most serious threats. What's going to intimidate more - a terrorist wielding a knife or a terrorist wielding a ballpoint pen?
Now what's the better option - being parted from your treasured knife for a few hours, or a repetition of September 11th?
[Incidentally, the 'not even plastic knives' measure may just be conjecture].
[Edited last by andrew markworthy on September 14, 2001 at 02:41 AM]

EugeneR

Second Unit
I have no particular problem with not allowing knives on board, that should have been the rule in the first place. But this is definitely a case of locking the barn door with a big iron lock long after the horses have gone. No plastic knives at the food court? You mean a terrorist was going to use the plastic knife from the McDonald's to hijack a plane? If I was a terrorist, I would spring for chef's knife with a razor-sharp, ceramic 8" blade available in any upscale kitchen supply place. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks