What's new

Can you name episodes of TV shows that have been edited on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if it's edited or not but on the first show of "What's Happening" there seems to be a few quick fade outs. Also I read the Dark Shadows threads and what's up with them? I just bought the first two box sets with the intention of purchasing the whole series. Did they ever solve the edit problems?

- Randy

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Not sure if this counts, but the 4th season Deep Space Nine episode "To the Death" was cut for violence when it was originally shown. To my knowledge, it's the only episode of any Star Trek series ever edited for content before its initial broadcast. Fans had hoped the DVD would contain the uncut version, but the broadcast master was used, so it retained the TV edit.

Like I said, I guess it doens't really count since that's how it was originally broadcast, but it's something I thought of.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I believe the first episode of "All In The Family" is edited (I rented it because I heard the video quality was lacking, so I can't check on it at this time). In the original broadcast, there was a "warning" about AITF being a comedy of a controversial and adult nature. I think it is missing from the DVD, but you can see it in episode 100, where Henry Fonda narrates the "best of" the first 99 episodes.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't count the disclaimer as a cut. It was inserted by the network after the print was shipped to CBS.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Maybe not, but it was very unusual for a network to do this, given that there was no "family hour" or TV ratings to deal with. I think as an historical "artifact" that they should have included it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don't think anything from What's Happening was cut. All episodes were over 24 minutes.

I'm seriously thinking of boycotting all Columbia TriStar releases for their negligence in the field.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Also, I should mention that some of the CH VHS tapes I have seen do have cut episodes. They turn up at the same rate as on the DVDs. The only ones I own are of shows owned by Columbia, arguably the biggest offender in this. I have tried to find someone in a position who will listen but they seem to have their ears closed (search for any thread about "Annie" recently and you'll see what I mean).

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator

While many films were altered to remove the WTC, Spider-man was not one of them. The WTC can still be seen in several shots in the film.

As for another contribution to the list, "Family Guy" is missing the JFK Jr. Pez despenser joke.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
The "tattletale" episode of The Brady Bunch was edited when Columbia House released it on VHS - they didn't make very many of those tapes, so this might have been a factor in what killed the sales. That's why I cancelled my subscription. :thumbsdown:

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator
Oh crap, it's Columbia Tristar that does most of the editing? One of my favorite shows, Who's the Boss, will be released by them on DVD, but I know that the Columbia House WTB? tapes were edited. Damn, I hope the DVDs aren't...:frowning:

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
:thumbsdown:
Columbia/Tristar/Sony does it again with Sanford and Son Season 4.

On disc 2, episode 13 "Strange Bedfellows", around the 7:48 mark, there is an awkward crossfade where a few seconds of material has been cut.

Why won't C/T/S go back to [ALL OF] the original broadcast masters for sets like this? Nothing we can do about it, though. :angry:

R.

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
It seems unlikely that the companies putting these discs out know that there is a problem with cut episodes. Unless it is music rights issues.

With regards to I SPY cuts i would say that Image are unaware of this problem. They recently had a lot of complaints about the cut in FLASH GORDON'S TRIP TO MARS where there is a a 3 min scene cut from ep 3. They were unaware and had used what they believed to be an uncut copy of the serial. The same is probably true of the prints of I SPY they have.

I'm sure that we could all make a lot of noise on behalf of LOST IN SPACE fans if we all got together to write an complain. Does Fox know of the cut? Unlikely, unless many fans get together and write. Product recall is not an unusual occurrance with TV box sets as they want to keep the customer happy to buy the following sets. Let Fox know that many are put off by the cut to the offending episode and that they are losing money. See how they react to that.

ST

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Season 2 of All in the Family is missing the "From Studio City in Hollywood" voice over before the opening credits....Season One includes them.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
"I'm sure that we could all make a lot of noise on behalf of LOST IN SPACE fans if we all got together to write an complain. Does Fox know of the cut? Unlikely, unless many fans get together and write. Product recall is not an unusual occurrance with TV box sets as they want to keep the customer happy to buy the following sets. Let Fox know that many are put off by the cut to the offending episode and that they are losing money. See how they react to that."

I'm sure Fox just took the episodes that were in syndication and mastered them onto DVD. If you saw the Lost In Space laserdisc 2 disc set, they took the original 35mm prints from the first 3 episodes of the show and mastered them, they look PERFECT...alot better than the DVDs of Lost In Space. In fact, many of the episodes on the DVDs look dark and the picture looks washed sometimes too. We can hope in the future they'll re-issue season 1 re-mastered from the original 35mm prints, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Unlike the laserdisc market (which was aimed at true film buffs), the DVD market seems to care more about making a quick buck, than it does whether or not it makes the product look as good as it possibly can.

Carlos.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Most syndication cutting has to do with the fact that local station ad sales are nowhere near the same rates as network TV.

Most younger employees of DVD companies are not aware that shows were longer "back then," nor that syndication masters are missing anything, and if they did, they would probably do something about it. Maybe. And that's a big "maybe." They weren't around (or talking) when any shows from the 60s and 70s were still in their network runs, so they're not familiar with them.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Surely part of their job though is to research matters like this. Once a series has been given the nod they should contact Producers, fan websites etc and get any info regarding different versions and edits. Thats what I would do. :D

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Scooby Doo Seasons 1&2......the first episodes of Season One are missing their original instrumental opening theme, in favor of the familiar theme song. Also, the end credits on some of these episodes featured an instrumental song.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
This may certainly qualify... on the DVD release of Star Trek: The Original Series, Vol. 8, they have an edited version of the preview trailer for "The Menagerie, Part 2". If you listen to the early part of the narration, you can hear part of Leonard Nimoy's narration cut from the trailer. It goes something like this: "This is Mr. Spock. You'll learn next...why returning to Talos IV was worth risking my life and Captain Kirk's career." The word "week" was edited from the teaser, where he actually said, "You'll learn next week...". It's been this way since the very first time it was issued on VHS back in the 80's, and it's still edited on DVD.

Rodrick

Second Unit
Wow, the Scooby Doo Where are you are edited.
Oh where they tell you which title you're watching after the opening theme.
Ha just checked it out. You're right. But thats all thats been edited.

Kyle**S

Stunt Coordinator
Changes made to "Firefly" for it's complete series DVD release:

1.) The opening narrations was removed. These prologues were added to explain the basic ideas, characters, and settings of the series to new viewers, and viewers who hadn't seen "Serenity" (which was everyone).
Book-Narrated Prologue - The Train Job, Bushwhacked, Our Mrs. Reynolds, & Jaynestown
Mal-Narrated Prologue - Out of Gas, Shindig
Extended Mal-Narrated Prologue - Safe, Ariel
The prologue was completely dropped for "War Stories" and "Objects in Space" but was added back for "Heart of Gold" which had the Extended Mal-Narrated Prologue.

I don't know about "Trash" or "The Message," because I live in the US. The only way I know about HoG is because I was able to find an completely unabridged download.

2.) The "Previouslies" were removed. The episodes that had Previouslies were:

Safe
Ariel
War Stories
Trash
The Messgae
Heart of Gold
Objects in Space

However, these don't make since in the airing order, production order, or DVD order, due to last minute (and post-last minute) episode order changes. Exceptions from the DVD order include:

- Safe's Previously contains a clip from "Our Mrs. Reynolds," which was produced later and is placed later on the DVD.

Hope this explains it: (Executive Producer Tim Minear decided to switch the order placement of "Safe and "Shindig" for two reasons: a) He thought "Shindig" would be confusing in terms of Mal & Inara's relationship if the episode came so soon and viewers hadn't seen "Serenity;" b) "Safe," which obviously needs to come immediately after "Shindig," had major production issues and would not be ready in time if it were to air fourth. After viewing what would've been the final cut, Tim Minear and Joss Whedon agreed that it was their worst collaboration ever. Large chunks of the script (including the entire teaser segment) were rewritten and reshot. Jane Espenson, although uncredited, helped fix the script. The episode was finally completely during the shooting of "Ariel." Later, Joss Whedon decided he preferd the original order placement for "Safe" and "Shindig," so he switched the order for the DVD.)

- Illogically, the "Heart of Gold" previously contains clips from Objects in Space, The Message, and Trash. I can't explain this one. The editor who put this montage together must've been as confused about the episode order as all the fans.

The Previously sort of implies that "Heart of Gold" was at least at one point intended to be the final episode. Which is probably why Joss Whedon decided to air "Objects in Space" in place of "Heart of Gold" on December 13, 2002 (yes, that decision was Whedon's, not FOX's)--I think he didn't want the at-that-time-possibly-the-last-episode-to-be-aired-by-FOX (other than "Serenity") o end on the cliff-hanger of HoG. But you'd think he would've also edited the Previously when when he switched the order back. He did make sure SCI-FI UK aired the series in his order. He should've made sure that it aired how he wanted it to, also (included the original scene # 6, added back for the DVD.)

Exceptions from airing order on FOX:
I've vaguely remember a Previously (Safe, maybe?) that included clips from "Serenity," but I'd have to pull out my tapes to check. (Although it's obvious that Serenity comes first, this Previously would've confused viewers.

3.) From the beginning, the series was intended to be seen in widescreen. Joss & Tim sneakily both pilots so that couldn't be cropped to 4:3 and would have to air in widescreen. FOX got mad, cuz they basically have a mandate saying all shows (except, like, animated ones) have to be compatible with both formats. So the rest of the episodes were filmed definitively in widescreen but with fullscreen compatibility, so FOX could air the eps in fullscreen and also silmulcast them in widescreen not-quite-high-definition-TV. So the widescreen format on the DVD is good.

4.) Scene 6 on the DVD version of "Objects in Space" was different in the original broadcast version. The scene on the DVD (which contained Inara talking with Mal about her leaving) was the original version, but when Joss decided to have OiS air before "Heart of Gold," it necessary to reshoot the scene (with the same idea, just different dialogue not referencing Inara leaving), and this is the scene that aired (and is included on the DVD set as a deleted scene).

5). Originally, every single episode of "Firefly" ended with a bookend-type symbol of Serenity appearing against black in a glowy-firey type font. (This being at the conclusion of the fourth act.) But Joss & Tim realized that for the actual broadcast versions of the episodes, they forgot to credit themselves, so they removed this and replaced it with their end producers credits, in the same fireglowy font.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks