What's new

Can you help?: Big room needed to be filled with home theater sound (1 Viewer)

StephenGencs

Agent
The room is approximately 35' x 24' with a 25'ceiling. It is basically a converted and updated barn....

In wall and/or In ceiling speakers are 100% OUT.

I was thinking about a 7.2 channel system.

Any thoughts/advice?

I was thinking 2 10" subs, but wondering if that would drown out the surround channels....

thank you
gencs

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Impressively filling a room is a very subjective matter based on your own personal experiences. The room/space you have is very large. My first question would be how far will your primary seating area be from the speakers and/or display? Secondly, while maybe a pair of SVS's new PB10 or some of the Hsu offerings could do a respectable job in that size room, you will need a lot more to deliver high-impact, 25Hz power.

Is this intended to be a dedicated HT environment? Multi-use? More details please...

StephenGencs

Agent
Thanks Mark....

Not sure on the primary seating distance. I am thinking about 10-15 feet.... This will not be a dedicated home theater...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Stephen,

Large rooms can be difficult, especially when it comes to low frequencies. Fortunately, you’re sitting fairly close to the speakers, which is helpful. You should be able to get by with fairly efficient speakers powered with about 100 watts per channel.

The big problems will be the subs. A couple of 10’s would do fine for music, and probably okay for movies – as long as your expectations aren’t too high. However, if you’re looking for theater-like levels and extension down to 25Hz or lower, you should be looking at multiple 12s or (even better) 15’s.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

StephenGencs

Agent
Trying to stay under $7,000....

I have a HK AVR 330. Is there any way I would be able to utilize that even thought it only pumps 55w/channel?

cabreau

Second Unit
I have an HK AVR-330 and I doubt that it will power a room that size. But keep in mind that Harman Kardon's 55 watt/channel is usually equivalent to other companies' ratings of 75-80 watt/channel.
Look into the AVR-7200 (or is it 7300 now?). That is a beast and it will sound awesome, plus it does video upconversion using Faroudja DCDi technology (major bonus). It can be had for approximately $1299 if I'm not mistaken. If you are on a budget (yes, even $7000 is a budget these days LOL), the Paradigm Studios sound like they are right up your alley. Check out this system.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...100System.html

You'd have to add two more ADP-470's for 7.1 and then add another sub for 7.2, but I bet 7.1 would do if you got the right sub. I've heard these Studio 100's and the only thing that I've liked more were the Martin Logan Mosaics, but for a room THAT size, I bet the Studios will be better (louder). The Mosaics aren't as efficient and are much harder to drive, I don't think they'll go as loud as the Studios (anyone?)...but MAN what a soundstage.

That Servo 15 would probably do that room just fine, or you could invest in one of those badass SVS subs that has like 4 drivers in it and is as big as your car.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_b4_plus.htm

Some will say "use direct radiating speakers instead of those ADP things"...which is something that I believed when I started using my Atoms as surrounds. But this review says otherwise...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-9-2004.html

Now, this review is based on the Paradigm Signature Series, but the Studios are a great speaker and I'm sure they will perform up to your expectations as well. (Listen to me, I sound like a damn salesman.)

One more thing...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=211811

LOL - people seem to want them. It's my next upgrade if I ever get any money.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One sub will be plenty for this room, as long as it is an SVS :D A friend has a room not much smaller than that and even with the 25-31pci about 8' away, it was able to pound out awsome bass.

Positioning is everything for surrounds, and a larger room with the walls to utilize them correctly, will generally benefit from bi/dipoles. Note also that bi/di are also great for movies, but not always so great for multichannel music, where you may actually WANT a more localized sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks