1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can somone recommend some good budge coaxials?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Josh Davidson, May 26, 2004.

1. Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson Stunt Coordinator

I am going to put a pair of coaxials in the doors of my 2000 Malibu. The stock location accepts 4x6s, but I'm hoping that I can rework it to fit 6.5"s. If not I'll go with 5.25"s. I'm not going to use rear fill and the speakers will be powered by an external amp. I'd like to stay under $200, and I have no hang ups on any particular brand.

2. Art_Courville

Infinity Kappa or Infinity Reference

3. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

i've got some 4x6 polks in my t-bird. i like them alot. about $100 i think. i bought them several years ago.

4. Matt Hobbes

Matt Hobbes Agent

I like pioneer premier/rev speakers... very laid back/natural sounding...4x6 and 6.5 pairs are under $200

I had 6.5 polks about 4 years ago that sounded pretty good

A lot of people recommend focal...they get expensive fast though. you might be able to find some 6.5s for under $200... 5.25s would be under $200

5. David.G

David.G Stunt Coordinator

you know if you're not getting a rear fill and you are going to spend 200$ max i'd say go for components. Them coaxials will sound bad in the doors since the highs are pointed at your legs. It won't raise the sound much and since you won't have rears your soundstage is at your feet. You can get the Infinity Kappa 5 1/4 component set on www.onlinecarstereo.com for 169$ plsu S/h. Even better deal on that webpage is the Orion P series components for 175$ for the 6.5s. I have them are they are killer. The tweet is very good, crossover allows you to adjust the tweet db level, and the woofer gives good mid. That better in terms of soundstage than coaxials. If you're set on coaxials, get Focal 165HC for 149$ on that page.

6. Art_Courville

7. Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin Auditioning

Coaxials will sound just fine for a front stage. Just make sure if that's what you're going to buy, buy ones with a rotational tweeter. For the money, component sets are great but also require a lot more for installation with mounting tweeters, mid-ranges, crossovers. The best "budget" coaxial I've ever heard would have to be hands down the Focal Access line. You can pick up a set of 6.5's for around $100-$150.

8. David.G

David.G Stunt Coordinator

components are better for the front stage. Coaxials suck due to the fact it points your highs at your feet. Even if it has a swivel head it puts in at your knees. How good does that sound?(sarcasm there)....I'd just getting a set of components because you'll be satisfied with them and not really long for an upgrade. Coaxials are so hard to say "they're good" , due to different frequencies it can play and different types(2,3 and 4 way),that you may buy them and not like the sound and wish you'd tried a different set. Components sound better from out of the box, granted it needs little bit more installation but its pretty easy if you know a little about your car. If you're looking for a speaker brand I suggest CDT. cdt audio They are some of the best highs and mids in the industry. I prefer them over Focal since Focals tweets are typically harsh.

9. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

John-

Just an FYI..the Kappa 6.5 coax wont fit the Malibu as a drop in..you will need a spacer to clear the window.

The 4x6's would be a better bet.

I would suggest some CDT Classics or even the CDT Slim Coaxs..they sound MUCH better than the Kappas IMO.

Angelo

10. Cody Payne

Cody Payne Auditioning

check out the Image Dynamics CTX line at Sounddomain.com

11. Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson Stunt Coordinator

Well, I ended up getting a really good deal on a 6.5" set of CDT classics. I modified my stock door location for the woofer and now I'm having difficulty finding a place for my tweeters. Any ideas?

12. Denton

Denton Stunt Coordinator

Denton
    See if you have room to mount them "over" your midbasses, a sort-of "coaxial". I've seen backstrap material used for this purpose.

13. HowardLi

HowardLi Extra

Josh, if you picked up the CL61(a), they have tweeter pods that you can put anywhere. Try the A-pillars.