What's new

Can someone recommend some Rolling Stones discs? (1 Viewer)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I have never been a fan of The Rolling Stones, or at least the Stones music that gets played on the radio.

I have been told that their old music is great. The problem is I have no idea what CD's or SACD's to get. So can you guys point me in the right direction?

Thanks alot

earle

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator
A good introduction would be the 3-disc "Singles Collection." It covers 1963-71, their peak years and has most of the classics on them. It is on the pricey side though, so you might want to go with the "Hot Rocks" collections. As for albums, Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St. are all essential.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Sathyan brings up a good point. The Stones have so many albums that they cover a variety of styles. Their early albums are great for early r&r and r&b covers with a few originals. Then they go through a phase where they are shadowing the Beatles Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Pepper era.
Then they come into their own with albums like Beggars Banquet & Let It Bleed. In my opinion it's ALL good, but it does vary quite a lot. I don't think I'm alone when I say the output of the band post Exile on Main Street has been less consistent, although every album has its high points.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earle, some excellent points have been made here. I agree with the suggestion of starting with Hot Rocks 1964-1971 or the The Singles Collection. Hot Rocks is a two-disc set, while The Singles Collection is a three-disc set. You can't go wrong with either one. I have the Hot Rocks hybrid SACD set, and it's very good. If you don't have an SACD player, don't fret. The CD layer sounds quite good.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Im a big fan of the Grateful Dead. I enjoy classic jazz.(early Miles, Keith Jarrett). Even listen to Metallica occasionly, though not very much any more.

Pretty much all music except hip hop and rap.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Earle, of the early stuff I'd say LET IT BLEED is best in show but only by a hair. BEGGAR'S BANQUET is a good'un and GET YER YA-YA'S OUT is a very good live album. BROWN SUGAR is purddy good. FLOWERS & THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY are nice hit compilations discs for the mid to late 60's period.

Of the later (80's and beyond) stuff, I think SOME GIRLS might be somewhat of a highpoint. IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL (mid 70's) is my personal favourite album by them. I wish it would come out on SACD!

I'd buy the older releases on hybrid SACD now and hope the later stuff might come out in hybrid form too, maybe...? Best wishes!:)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I'll try FLOWERS & THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY and maybe LET IT BLEED.

I will get back to you with my thoughts.

This damn insomnia is killing me tonight, 1am and sleep is not coming soon. Thanks god it only happens once in a rare while.

Thanks again
Earle

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earle, I assume you will be buying the hybrid SACDs (in digipaks). Whatever you do, don't buy the old ABKCO CDs in jewel cases. They sound lousy. Fortunately, most stores selling new CDs have removed these discs from the shelves, so they should be easy enough to avoid. You will probably see them in used CD shops from time to time, however.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
If you want to go the separate album route, I'd second, third, whatever the recommendations for "Let it Bleed" and "Beggar's Banquet". But unlike the Beatles, I think with the Stones you would do well to get the greatest hits albums instead, or at least initially. (Perhaps some people would disagree.) There are 2 "Hot Rocks" volumes, available in hybrid SACD, or the album "40 Licks" (not SACD) that might be a good place to start.

By the way:
Pretty much all music except hip hop and rap.
Pardon my ignorance but aren't "hip hop" and "rap" the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marvin asked:

Pardon my ignorance but aren't "hip hop" and "rap" the same thing? If not, what's the difference?
I'm not sure they are quite the same. Perhaps a "cool", young rapper like Eminem would be considered hip-hop too. Still, when I think of hip-hop, I think of boy bands, like Backstreet Boys and N-Sync. Regardless of the classification, I can't stand any of it. Just my opinion.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

Yeah - really.

Hasn't this 15 minutes been going on way too long?

Somebody wake me up.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I recommend:

1. Let It Bleed
2. Beggar's Banquet
3. Hot Rocks

Make sure you get the new SACD hybrids and think about purchasing a Super Audio player/DVD if you do not already have one. The new masterings are great.

:)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
All the early recordings (up through 1971) are essential if you want to understand the band's massive impact on popular music. (I can even make a case for the so-blatant-someone-should-sue Pepper rip-off, Their Satanic Majesty's Request.)

francisco-a

Agent
I have a friend that asked me the same, and I told him he can choose:

1- A Must is Hot Rocks, the Hybrid SACD edition
2- Jump Back, 73-93. Kind of hard to find in USA, but great collection of good songs,

and

40 Licks, a mix of those two

Buy you cant missed a live album like Flashpoint, another MUST

For you, i will say 40 Licks and Flashpoint.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
EarleD, you don't like the Stones songs that are played on the radio? If that is the case than a greatest hits would probably not be your things since most of the songs are the hits played on the radio.

Let It Bleed would be a good album probably, Give Me Shelter and "Can't always get what you want" are the songs I hear the most on the radio and it is a slower album than Sticky Fingers which is the one I like better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks