What's new

Can someone explain Zelda WW hype to me? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I played some more WW today. I was at a party and a kid had it and was in the final dungeon.

This game is SO GORGEOUS.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
If it has to be explained to you then you'll never understand.

my favorite quote on the topic came from Gabe at penny arcade:

"But seriously, these guys think that Zelda is a game for kids. Well only KIDS would care that a game looks like it is for kids. It's like when you are 14 and your mom wants to get a picture of you on the merry go round with your little sister but you don't want to get on because it's for kids. Eventually you grow out of that phase and you can appreciate just having fun whether it be on the back of an undulating wooden horse or in front of a cell shaded video game."

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm hooked... it's so ^%##@^#%$&@%&#$%&*$%^ #$^#$^ Amazing!

Love the game, need to take time off of work to play it!

Jim

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Wow Josh, didn't know those guys over at PA were so full of smarts! Great quote. :emoji_thumbsup:

I played Zelda ever since I had my NES in the 80's. It's a big part of most of our lives and we don't care how it looks as long as it's being designed by the same guy each time. He always delivers.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Looks like this is another game that you either love or hate.
For the record - it is a home run in my book. I haven't played with my GC this much in a while...

My PS2 is collecting soooo much dust.

Calvin

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
It's like zelda TOOT though, if you hated TOOT (I know some people who do out of, regret to change) then I don't see you like wind waker.

It's the same thing I've argued with people before about mario sunshine and mario 64. People tell me they hated mario 64 to no end and loved mario sunshine - doesn't make much sense to me.

-ELmO

DonaldW

Auditioning
I despised the Forsaken Fortress and found it very frustrating, but after exploring the ocean a bit and playing through Dragon Roost Island dungeon, I've become hopelessly addicted to the game. It's pure, unsurpassed fun - never seen such amazing level design.

I'd say pick this one up, sight unseen. It's quickly surpassing Metroid Prime as my favorite console game in awhile.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Looks like WW has a polarizing effect on the reiewers:

You either think it's a good game with decent gameplay, or you despise those people that won't admit it's the bomb ;)

Seriously though, I'll have to add it to the list of must-play games. Can y'all add any more details to why it excels, like what Morgan was saying above about the GC/GBA link? That's the specifics I'm looking for.

Peace All...

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I was with the "too much like OoT" crowd, but after playing WW for several hours and thinking about possible changes, what could possibly be altered that wouldn't take away the heart and soul of Zelda? Many seem to complain about it, but what improvements could be made that would not ruin the game or the series? Metroid's change was drastic and paid off big time, but I can't think of anything that Nintendo could change without killing little Link. So far, I haven't seen any suggestions from the nay sayers that dispute this point. Any thoughts?

For my dollar, this game f'in rules. I can't believe that so many people are almost done with the game. I prefer to take my time, explore everything, and hope it lasts as long as possible. Nothing's worse than a good game that ends too soon. Kind of like a good book that...wait a minute, what's a book?:D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What makes the game so good is how coherent it is. Not only does it look like a cartoon, but it's animated like one (over-exaggerated movements), maintains a high level of charm, and is plain fun.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
First thing Joe, don't judge it based on Forsaken Fortress ;). I think it's a bad dungeon period.

To re-iterate what I said earlier, Wind Waker is great because it has that sense of wonder and discovery. You really need to play it to fully appreciate it, but hunting out the secrets and treasures has never been so much fun in a Zelda game.

I don't know if it's the addition of the huge ocean expanse or what, but I could easily kill eight hours plus criss-crossing the ocean and just seeing what's out there and be infinitely satisfied beyond the main game itself.

The sense of humor and whimsy that pervades what is actually a fairly dark story at parts (like, say, the opening prologue) is also above and beyond what games have been putting out lately. Part of that is the graphic style, which love it or hate it can really convey emotion better than most games could ever hope.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Losing interest doesn't mean I don't like Zelda, it just means it was a long game. A lot of great games fall that way for me: FFX, GTA3, Zelda, etc. I enjoy them, but they either get too hard, too long in the tooth, or a new game pops up and it gets shelved. Can you explain the differences from OoT so I can understand?
that took my breath away. Amazing, amazing stuff. The aesthetic style is perfect and spot on, the sense of exploration and discovery is second to none.

Good thoughts all around from this thread. :emoji_thumbsup:

~j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks