1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone explain to me what a Rumble Filter / Bass Boost does to a woofer?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AhsanR, Oct 19, 2006.

1. AhsanR

AhsanR Well-Known Member

I was wondering if someone could please explain to me in layman's terms what a rumble filter at 35hz and 28hz would do to a subwoofer.

Would this be less than ideal for home theater applications where the main goal is to replay things with deep bass below 20hz?

2. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I'd think a rumble filter at 28 or 35Hz would be pretty counterproductive in a subwoofer application. Generally, they are applied (I think) to protect the driver from overexcursion at the very low frequencies, and are basically a bit of equalization built in to roll off response below the selected point.

A rumble filter at 35Hz would start to rob you of a lot of good usable output.

A bass boost is pretty much the opposite, a built in boost in EQ applied to the selected frequency. I would think it would make more sense to see a bass boost at 28 or 35Hz, and a rumble filter kick in somewhere below 20Hz, depending on the driver you're using.

It might help if you mention what amp & driver you're thinking about using, maybe someone will be familiar with it.

3. AhsanR

AhsanR Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go buy either a bash amp from Oaudio (they have a variable eq), or the behringer at Parts Express. Your suggestions?

4. Mattak

Mattak Well-Known Member

Which behringer? A europower? They have filters but they're defeatable via dip switch.