What's new

Can somebody please, please help me find a new amp!! (long post) (1 Viewer)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
James,

"I don't know, I guess I just like to know it's there if called upon."

I agree that this is important, but please consider the money spent on those channels could be saved - or directed to a better quality amplifier to power the channels you care more about.

Also, be cautious basing decisions on the subjective impressions of reviews... "warm" is not really specific at all, and I don't know if I ever found out what "musical" means. For example, I could tell you my Zen amp is "warm and musical." (Which, I guess, is true judging from a very unspecific interpretation of those words.) But I wouldn't have told you that it has terrible damping, doesn't like low impedance loads, and has almost unacceptably high distortion when used at more than a watt or two... it might be warm sounding but that doesn't mean you'd like it. Heck, I could call any other amplifier "warm and musical," since it isn't in comparison to any other established reference.

Anyway, sorry for complaining. Things aren't as bad as I make them sound. I know that regardless of which amplifier you pick, you will be happy with the result, since they're all pretty good.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Both reasonable choices and you probably wouldn't go wrong either way. Maybe this is the time to say 'honey, i can't decide, which one do you like better'? I wouldn't quibble over a few watts although I might take a close look at their respective performance into 4 ohms and see what their headroom is. I don't think the Sherbourne is ugly...Ugly is my sister-in-law :D
Now give those amps their own circuits, run it off a separate panel that's got an isolation transformer and you'll be giving em nice clean power.

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Consider buying a good 2-channel amp off of Audiogon. SInce you listen predominantly to 2-channel, focus your $ there, for the speakers and the amp.

I tend to agree with the comments about the surround speakers being less critical and requiring less pristine amplification. There is not a lot of detailed content in the surround tracks.

As far as what to buy, that's a tough one. Unless you can listen to a number of amps driving your Studio 100's, or have a numbe of opinions on an amp from Studio 100owners, its a bit of guesswork.

Personally, I just bought a Bryston 4B ST on Audiogon, it arrives tomorrow. I selected the Bryston to drive Martin-Logan reQuests in the front because
- they require high current and the Brystons are known for having real balls (oops can I say that online)
- of glowing reviews I've read of the amp
- opinions of other M-L owners who are using Bryston
- very high value (quality for the $) especially used
- 20 year transferable warranty and stellar service reputation

The fact that they are built 45 mins from here is a nice coincidence.

If other M-L owners had of pointed me towards Classe or Threshold then I would have looked seriously at those. Have not heard them, but I suspect they may be a tad better but not as good value as the Bryston.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks