What's new

Can I use my Laptop as my Blu-ray player? (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I am going to buy a laptop soon, and I also need a blu-ray player. So, why not combine the two? Is it worthwhile money-wise? I figure I need to add a blu-ray player and a decent audio card. Anything else? Thanks.

jotto

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
If you're planning on outputting to an HDTV as Zack suggests, I would recommend not seeking a laptop with BluRay and HDMI because the extra price isn't worth it. I haven't seen many (someone correct me if they know of any) affordable laptops with a BluRay and HDMI output.

You might be better off getting a cheaper laptop (no more than $600 depending on your needs), and then getting a cheaper Blu-Ray player. I have seen them going for $150 and less for the past few weeks - or better yet - a PS3 for $300 and get a $500 Dell laptop.

jotto

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
Hey Daniel, HP just announced a big deal on their 18-inch high performance laptop ($400 off plus free 4GB RAM upgrade and 320 Hard Drive upgrade = $1099.99 shipped. It comes with a dedicated/discrete video card, Blu-Ray player and HDMI output, so if you don't mind an 18-inch laptop, this would work well for you. No known expiration date, but their promotions usually last 1 week, so I would imagine this promotion will be over November 8th.

http://dealzon.com/deals/hp-dv8t-18-inch-1-7ghz-i7-4gb-ram-laptop-with-windows-7-hdmi-out-and-blu-ray

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
FYI, At COSTCO I bought a HP Pavillion dv6-1253cl. 16 inch display, 500 GB, HDMI output, a Core 2 Duo and Blu-Ray. It was $600 including a 2 year warranty. I got it for work. It is just the right size for what I need to do. I have had it for two weeks now and have played a few minutes of one Blu-ray movie on my TV. It looks great. The digital out needs and adaptor to make it work. I haven't done that yet. It would have been nice to have a built in digital out for something labeled an "Entertainment PC."

dgrayid

Auditioning
Real Name
david
some computers and laptops will not let you play to another screen because of the anti-piracy software.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
The one I got already let me play on my TV. So, that is one hurdle. But, i haven't confirmed if it really will play 5.1 audio. Something that is labeled as an "Entertainment" laptop should do that.

jasnall

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I'd get a stand alone Blu-Ray player. Laptop drive would be subject to wear and tear form the heat of the laptop as well as not being designed for constant 1-3 hour use.

jpa2400

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I picked up the HP dv7 with blu-ray, may just use that until I get more discs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks