1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I use my Laptop as my Blu-ray player?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DanielKellmii, Oct 28, 2009.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Well-Known Member

I am going to buy a laptop soon, and I also need a blu-ray player. So, why not combine the two? Is it worthwhile money-wise? I figure I need to add a blu-ray player and a decent audio card. Anything else? Thanks.

2. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Well-Known Member

Do you mean to use it purely on its own, or do you want to output from the laptop to an HDTV?

3. jotto

jotto Well-Known Member

If you're planning on outputting to an HDTV as Zack suggests, I would recommend not seeking a laptop with BluRay and HDMI because the extra price isn't worth it. I haven't seen many (someone correct me if they know of any) affordable laptops with a BluRay and HDMI output.

You might be better off getting a cheaper laptop (no more than $600 depending on your needs), and then getting a cheaper Blu-Ray player. I have seen them going for $150 and less for the past few weeks - or better yet - a PS3 for $300 and get a $500 Dell laptop.

4. DanielKellmii

It would be for output.

5. jotto

jotto Well-Known Member

Hey Daniel, HP just announced a big deal on their 18-inch high performance laptop ($400 off plus free 4GB RAM upgrade and 320 Hard Drive upgrade = $1099.99 shipped. It comes with a dedicated/discrete video card, Blu-Ray player and HDMI output, so if you don't mind an 18-inch laptop, this would work well for you. No known expiration date, but their promotions usually last 1 week, so I would imagine this promotion will be over November 8th.

http://dealzon.com/deals/hp-dv8t-18-inch-1-7ghz-i7-4gb-ram-laptop-with-windows-7-hdmi-out-and-blu-ray

6. DanielKellmii

FYI, At COSTCO I bought a HP Pavillion dv6-1253cl. 16 inch display, 500 GB, HDMI output, a Core 2 Duo and Blu-Ray. It was $600 including a 2 year warranty. I got it for work. It is just the right size for what I need to do. I have had it for two weeks now and have played a few minutes of one Blu-ray movie on my TV. It looks great. The digital out needs and adaptor to make it work. I haven't done that yet. It would have been nice to have a built in digital out for something labeled an "Entertainment PC."

7. dgrayid

dgrayid New Member

some computers and laptops will not let you play to another screen because of the anti-piracy software.

8. DanielKellmii

The one I got already let me play on my TV. So, that is one hurdle. But, i haven't confirmed if it really will play 5.1 audio. Something that is labeled as an "Entertainment" laptop should do that.

9. jasnall

jasnall Member

I'd get a stand alone Blu-Ray player. Laptop drive would be subject to wear and tear form the heat of the laptop as well as not being designed for constant 1-3 hour use.

10. jpa2400

jpa2400 Member

I picked up the HP dv7 with blu-ray, may just use that until I get more discs