What's new

Can I use BD50 internal audio decoders but output through Coax? (1 Viewer)

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
Looking into the BD30 or the BD50. I don't have an HDMI compatible receiver, but it is 7.1 capable. Wondering if I use the internal decoders (TrueHD, DTS HD), can I then send the 7.1 signal into my Denon AVR 3803 via Coax or optical and still get the 7.1?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
You won't get either TrueHD or DTS HD that way. You'll get a core signal (and I'm not sure it'll be 7.1). However, if you hook up the analogue output of the BD50 (not available on the BD30) you will get TrueHD and/or DTS HD. The catch is the BD50 does not have 7.1 but rather 5.1 analogue outputs. The upcoming Sony S550 is supposed to have 7.1 analogue output.

I think some Pioneer and Denons have 7.1 analogue outputs, but they are quite a bit more money and are not all Profile 2.0

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No. Coax and optical are restricted to standard DD and DTS lossy codecs. The only way to get TrueHD or DTS HD MA is through an HDMI connection or through multi-channel analog outs.

It looks like the BD50 has 5.1 analog outs, so TrueHD and DTS HD MA over the analog outs is restricted to 5.1.

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
Thanks, guys. makes sense. What about regular old DD or DTS 6.1 and 5.1? Can I get the same audio outputs on these players that I enjoy on my current standard DVD player including DD EX and DTS ES?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If it is something that ordinary DVD can offer, the BD50 should also offer it in the audio department (as should any Blu-ray player, for that matter). There may be individual exceptions, though, so it is worth checking first.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
The Sony S550 is probably what you will want. The Denon and Marantz and Pioneer are quite a chunk of change, enough to almost justify buying a receiver with good video processing on top of a S550. I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference in picture quality of blu-ray for the S550 vs BD50. DVD upconversion? yeah maybe...

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
Thanks. From what I've read, the Panny suffers a bit in the up conversion department anyway. How's the Sony rated? Anyone have this machine yet?

Hal

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

This is one thing that really confused me at first when both HD-DVD and Blu-ray came to market.

Both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD are backwards compatible, in that they contain an embedded "legacy" core encoded soundtrack. The nice thing about this is that, on most discs, the legacy core is at a higher bitrate than DVD. For example, most Dolby TrueHD soundtracks have a Dolby Digital core encoded at 640 kbps, versus the max 448 kbps on DVD, and most DTS-MA soundtracks have a DTS core encoded at 1.5 Mbps.

All you need to do when watching a Blu-ray disc is choose the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA soundtrack from the disc's setup menu, and your receiver should recognize the stream as either Dolby or DTS. You may need to select optical or coax digital audio output on your player, though.

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
Wow. That's great. Didn't know. Does it maintain the 7.1 mix or 6.1 or does it make them all 5.1? I ask only because my receiver is 7.1 but has no HDMI input. Been considering the new Sony (due this fall) with 7.1 analog outs. Any reason not to do this?

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
The "core" track is only 5.1. If at all possible get the Sony with 7.1 pre-outs, you'll be glad you did:)

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
If this is true, it's not in the documentation of the players and it's not something I've heard of. Unless he is talking about most players not being able to internally decode DTS-MA, however the Denon, Marantz, and Sony 550 can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks