What's new

Can I extend home LAN with multiple switches in multiple rooms? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
New is going to be pre-wired ethernet to every room with the master junction in the basement utility space. Can I put multiple switches onto this network to add ethernet ports in multiple rooms?

I want to make sure I don't need to pre-wire multiple ethernet ports to key rooms. That I can extend my network with switches (or routers or hubs) ad hoc.

Put a four-port switch off the ethernet port in the Living Room for the four devices there; put a switch in the media room for a few more devices there; maybe a third switch in the bedroom for a couple more there?

Thanks!

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
That should work just fine as long as you dont restrict the number of IP addresses your router assigns to a smaller number than you need (he said having done that exact thing)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Not only can you do that, but it's proabably a good idea if you have sources of data other than the internet. With local switches you can limit the impact of traffic local to a room or portion of the house. For instance, I have a media server, which I have on a switch that connects the most frequent users of the server. This sub-net is separate from the network my son uses to access the internet to play games. This mean that traffic from media streaming is not competing for space on the home net with the traffic from the game. (Or with the traffic from someone who is streaming from Netflix. Although Netflix and Xbox collide, which makes for interesting negotiations betwen my son and my daughter.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks