What's new

Can anyone recommend a good modem/router combo unit ? (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Jim Mcc said:
Thanks, but those are modems only. And they are not on the approved list in the link above.
Yes they are....number 9 and 10 on the PDF list you attached. But I see they are modems only....I know you don't want to but you'd be better off using one of the modem only options and attaching your own router.
Jim Mcc said:
We do not want a separate router and modem. We also want it to be able to stream 4k video in the future. What specs should we look for?

This will be used with TWC(EarthLink) broadband internet. The link below lists their approved modem/router combo units.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/enjoy/better-twc/bettertwc_approvedmodems.pdf

Thanks.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
schan1269 said:
Why can't you just run Ethernet out of a basic modem and buy your own.
I agree....cable\DSL company supplied modem/router combos usually stink. I have Uverse and used their combo unit for about a week....bad range and balky connectivity. Finally put their unit in bridge mode (modem only) and attached my own router. Easy peasy with great range and more user options. And much better for 4k streaming.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Do you mean the Zoom 5363? It's on the approved list, and it's 100 Mbps. Will that work well streaming 4k video?

I assumed I need 300 Mbps for 4k video. Is that right?

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Jim Mcc said:
Do you mean the Zoom 5363? It's on the approved list, and it's 100 Mbps. Will that work well streaming 4k video?

I assumed I need 300 Mbps for 4k video. Is that right?
Per Netflix, 4k streaming takes about 15 Mbps, so 100 Mbps should be fine. If you want to future-proof, go for 300 Mbps. Just need to make sure your internet connection is fast enough.

I usually take a couple of the models and Google some reviews....usually PC Magazine and Cnet will have some good reviews online.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
A new product has been announced by Netgear at CES, the C6250 AC1600. It is new so availability and compatibility with Time Warner would have to be investigated.

-Keith

r00tbeer

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian
If you're getting 100mb/s internet, make sure your router has gigabit ethernet ports. Fast ethernet is kinda weird in that it will saturate at about 60% traffic vs upper 90% on gig links.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks