What's new

Can anybody confirm if the entr'acte music for CLEOPATRA has been fixed? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I have the UK release,buy would rebuy if the entr'acte music was put on the second disc where it belongs.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I guess we'll find out when review copies come in.Since I'm an Elizabeth Taylor collector, and Cleopatra is my favourite film, I'm going to buy the digibook edition.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I really wish someone with some contacts could find out if the folks in charge are even aware of this having been an issue -- one that should be easily resolved -- BEFORE the release is out. We've only been talking about this here for, what, at least a couple of years?

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Moe Dickstein said:
I guess I'm the only one that prefers it the way it is...
I hope so. There is really no excuse for this not being rectified. I guess we will have to wait even longer now as the release date has been put back to discover whether sense has prevailed.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Moe Dickstein said:
It boggles my mind the minor things people fixate over.
Well, it's been about 10 or more years since they were told of the error, so it would be nice to see them make the tiniest effort to finally correct it.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Moe Dickstein said:
It boggles my mind the minor things people fixate over.
It's not minor to home theatre entusiasts who care about showmanship when presenting their films to their guests. The entr'acte is the introduction to act II, designed to be heard *after* the break is over. It's designed to call viewers back into the theatre and should flow seamlessly into the concluding act. To put a side break there is as annoying as putting side breaks during the action itself. There is a natural breakpoint in all the old roadshow films. And it's at the intermission.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
It's not an "error". There are hundreds of actual errors in home presentations of films. Look at the opening of West Side Story for example. I get that people care but this is like some ridiculous harping for years on something that is of such minor importance in the scheme of things!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
During WWII, my father served in the army corps of engineers. He told me that when he used to screen films for the troops, he'd completely remove the opening titles beforehand so that they could all "get right into the movie". He sounded slightly annoyed as he told me this during the blank screen overture of a movie I was screening for a family gathering many years ago.

War is hell! :rolleyes:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
20th Century Fox is re-releasing CLEOPATRA in more than 200 theatres across the US and Canada on May 22nd in celebration of the film's 50th anniversary!!! I can't wait...I'm finally going to get to see my favourite film on the big screen!
It will also be screened at the Cannes Film Festival. Jessica Chastain will host the event, and Elizabeth's son, Christopher Wilding, and Burton's daughter, Kate, will be in attendance. Costumes from the film will be on display, and Bulgari will loan out the pieces they bought back from Elizabeth's fabled jewelry collection for the event, as well as auction of a piece inspired by Taylor to raise money for her AIDS foundation.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Let's see if they play the first half of the film plus the entr'acte, then have an intermission.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is not a major error, but it's more than a minor one. I would like to put in the second disc and have the entre act music begin. It's sad when the people who make the movies can't be troubled to get this right. We're not asking for a major restoration, are we?This would take little effort to fix, but perish the thought they spend a couple a bucks.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't the think the complaints about the Entr'Acte music are a big deal. I don't think anyone has gotten hysterical over it.. The fact that such a simple thing seems so hard to resolve makes it a glaring error. I'm not terribly bothered by it and would not buy an extra copy to get a correct version. I'll stick with my British Blu-ray. But I do wish they'd gotten it right.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Reed Grele said:
During WWII, my father served in the army corps of engineers. He told me that when he used to screen films for the troops, he'd completely remove the opening titles beforehand so that they could all "get right into the movie". He sounded slightly annoyed as he told me this during the blank screen overture of a movie I was screening for a family gathering many years ago.

War is hell! :rolleyes:
Very understandable, from my viewpoint. They didn't have much free time so every spare moment needed to be measured and used accordingly.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
So, who's going to see Cleopatra tomorrow?

As my local AMC has presented such treasures as The Birds and Lawrence of Arabia absolutely flawlessly over the past year, I hope for another fine experience tomorrow.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm going to see it tomorrow in Toronto!It's my all-time favourite film, so I can't wait! I never thought I'd finally see it on the big screen...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks