What's new

Can any Chicagoan's help? (1 Viewer)

Doug Krenik

Auditioning
Hi,

We have family friends that are going from Minnesota to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania this coming week and want to take 90-94 through the Chicago area. They're not concerned about the tolls, but worry about the traffic congestion and delays. They'll be going through the Chicago area between noon and 2:00 P.M. Is it fastest to stay on 90-94 or is there an alternate route south that would be faster. They eventually want to get back unto 90-94 through Ohio. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

DougK

SteveLa

Stunt Coordinator
If they are taking I-90 from MN (it's a toll road in IL) they can stay on it until it turns into the Kennedy Expressway near O'Hare airport. If they are taking I-94, it will become the Tri-State tollway in Illinois. Eventually I-94 splits off by itself, becoming the Edens expressway. Take the Edens south until it joins up with the Kennedy expressway (at this point, the route becomes I-90/94) Take I-90/94 south past the downtown area. Just past the downtown area, I-90/94 is re-named the Dan Ryan expressway. Take this south and make sure your friends stay in the local lanes (as opposed to the express lanes.) There will be an exit for the Chicago Skyway around 63rd street where I-90 splits off from I-94. The Skyway entrance can only be accessed from the left lane of traffic in the local lanes. The Skyway runs across the southeast side of Chicago (there is a toll bridge along the way) and connects with the Indiana Toll Road once across the state line. I assume they will be taking the Indiana Toll Road, Ohio and Penna turnpikes to Harrisburg. What they want to avoid at all costs is missing the Skyway entrance, which will result in them taking the southern route where I-94 runs into I-80. I-80/94 runs east-west from Illinois and into Indiana. It's the most heavily travelled truck route in the nation and it is in the midst of a massive construction project. It's not uncommon for there to be monstrous construction backups, even in mid-day.

Users who are viewing this thread