What's new

Can a PS3 play multiplayer without being online? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
If so how. Motorstorm says 1 to 12. F1 is the same. How do you do it? I dont want to play online. If this thing wont play multiplayer its useless as a gaming system. I also would not have bought it. Any help would very much be appreciated.

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
It's not the system, it's the games - some are multiplayer (offline/split screen/online/lan/etc) and some obviously aren't....

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info. It just sucks because my wife wanted to be able to race me with the formula one game and I never dreamed that you couldnt go head to head on a system that is as elaborate as this. I mean the Atari 2600 games did this and its 40 years old.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I agree that it's ridiculous how many of these games don't handle offline multiplayer (especially racing games -- good grief!).

Usually if you read the specs on the back of the box closely, you can tell which are which. I can tell you that Virtua Tennis will do it, and I'm pretty sure that Resistance: FoM will as well.

Warhawk is apparently online multiplayer ONLY! (i.e., no single-player mode.) Too bad.

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
You can play Warhawk split screen (up to 4 players I think) but, right, no single player game...

James T

Screenwriter
I think they modified the way the package reads now. Unreal Tournament III reads "1 player (2- 18 online)". A bit better explanation as I too was confused with Motorstorm and expected split screen action

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I guess the best advise before buying the game is to read up on it or better yet, rent one to try out. While I've not had time to game as much these days (stupid residency..), the games that come out these days lean more towards online multiplayer. But at least some of the "wiser" publishers do let u multiplay on the one box....

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You can't play FIFA head-to-head? WTF?!?!?! :angry:

I thought the demo was great, and was considering getting it to play with the Mrs. (my sister-in-law was actually a pro soccer player).

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

I'm pretty sure the US version has local multiplayer. If such a feature was missing, it would have gotten a lot of publicity in reviews etc, and it hasn't...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Unfortunately, Motorstorm has no offline multiplayer mode according to this Gamespot review:

MotorStorm for PlayStation 3 Review - PlayStation 3 MotorStorm Review

I'm not much of a gamer -- not in a long time anyway -- but I wonder if this game is too resource intensive for local multiplayer. Also, would the graphics presentation work well in some sort of split screen in 720p resolution? I kinda doubt it.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks