What's new

Camera recommendation for wife? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. My wife asked if there could be sales, or how much could change with new models later this year. I said I don't know, but this is all digital technology so anything could happen in four months :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaveF said:
Does the Sony f/1.8 35mm prime lens support the new fast autofocus (phase contrast) system? If not...I'm both puzzled and wonder if there's a new prime lens on the horizon to wait for.
Nope.
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/12/11/the-sony-nex-6-and-nex-5r-review-the-best-nex-cameras-yet/#comment-219142

More info:
Next is E-mount lens firmware v.2, for use with Hybrid AF E-mount on the αNEX-5R/αNEX-6. This specifically applies to the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Standard Zoom Lens ( SEL1855), the 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens (SEL55210), the 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Telephoto Lens (SEL18200) and the 24mm f/1.8 Wide-Angle Prime Lens (SEL24F18Z) to enable Hybrid AF function with NEX-5R and NEX-6. It’s important to note that our E-mount lens firmware v2 is for the lens not the camera so it can be performed only with these lenses attached to Hybrid AF capable cameras (αNEX-5R/αNEX-6). Since these lenses were designed before the introduction of Hybrid AF, their firmware needed to be updated for Hybrid AF to function.
https://blog.sony.com/2012/10/alphafirmwareupdates/
I'm pretty enthused about this camera. So it troubles me a bit that seven months on, Sony doesn't have firmware update for their prime lens for new hybrid AF.
Is there a Macro Lens or Macro Mode for the NEX?
Yep.
http://store.sony.com/p/30mm-f-3.5-Macro-Lens-for-%26alpha%3B-NEX-Cameras/en/p/SEL30M35
In the Mirrorless thread, Sam Posten noted it was good.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DaveF said:
Yep. My wife asked if there could be sales, or how much could change with new models later this year. I said I don't know, but this is all digital technology so anything could happen in four months :)
There could be big things coming this year or early next year, take a look at link below, basically it's a new sensor.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/12/Fujifilm-and-panasonic-organic-CMOS-sensor-industry-leading-dynamic-range-and-sensitivity

This is what the German review site says about the NEX 6. Note Google Translate isn't perfect.
The Sony Alpha NEX-6 reached a very convincing for a digital camera with an APS-C image sensor image quality . To about ISO 800, no adverse effects are visible, even the finest details come out easily. If you look closely at ISO 1,600 can be a first, slight image noise are detected, the reproduction of detail but this is only minimally impaired. At ISO 3200 then the first details are smoothed by the noise filter, except for minor cuts but the images are used without any problems. As of 6400, the reproduction of detail then falls naturally increasingly apparent at ISO 12,800, the noise filter destroyed many details. However, in an emergency, this ISO value can be used only at ISO 25,600 image quality drops to an almost unusable level. But overall a good to very good performance.
In the dark, some details are no longer quite perfectly resolved at ISO 800, it is a stronger image noise visible. With some restrictions, 3,200 captured images can be used by ISO, the images above from a strong image noise are superimposed and give only a few details again.
At the rate the mirrorless system cameras Alpha NEX series of best values ​​are known. No wonder, therefore, that the Sony Alpha NEX-6 is a very good result. The burst rate falls to just under 10 frames per second in each image format very highly of. With JPEG images, this frame rate is achieved for twelve consecutive shots in RAW images for ten and the combined record JPEG and RAW images for nine. Then the frame rate to 2.9 and about one frame per second drops. Equally impressive drop the shutter lag of 0.01 seconds, and the focus time of 0.27 seconds. A little more time, the Sony Alpha NEX-6 can in turn and the first image recording: 2.57 seconds and 2.05 seconds, but are still good average. Overall, the Sony Alpha NEX-6 can thus among the best digital cameras, because waiting is for the owners of the Sony Alpha NEX-6 is a foreign word.
The color reproduction of the Sony Alpha NEX-6 moves at a good to very good level. With the average deviations can be only a small difference to the target value measure, the maximum deviations are slightly worse, but still good.
As a kit lens for the Sony offers the Sony Alpha NEX-6 E 16-50mm F3 0.5 to 5, 6 to PZ OSS. This has as a special feature of a zoom lens motor, with the desired focal length - as usual with compact cameras - is set by switch. This is possible with the Sony E 16-50mm F3 0.5 to 5, 6 PZ OSS for one over the lens ring to the other through a small separate slide switch on the lens. At the Alpha NEX-6 the PZ lens covers a small image equivalent focal length 24-75 millimeters (3.1-fold zoom), an optical image stabilizer is of course also available. This works well and can effectively compensate for camera shake.
The optical performance of the lens gave us the test puzzles. In a particular local area (see Figure performance charts) is an extreme blur visible - and not just at the edges. Since we first believed a defective lens here, we tested another lens, but which also had the same blur. A similar problem a few years ago we were already in the kit lens of the Samsung NX10 find (Review) .
Quite different is the situation in more distant. Open the image edges of the Sony E 16-50mm F3 0.5 to 5, 6 PZ OSS lens here somewhat blurred, especially at wide angle, but this is the case with most kit lens.Although already corrected-camera falls at the images on a slight vignetting. Why this is so despite the correction, you can see the comparison with the RAW images. Although these have a small but very intense vignetting, and also an extreme distortion. The automatic lens correction and the correction of digital camera RAW converter will thus become a required setting. A lens with such small dimensions to design for an APS-C image sensor seems, so not too easy to be optically. Overall, the Sony E 16-50mm F3 0.5 to 5, 6 OSS PZ lens a recommendation, despite the sometimes very poor image quality for close but worth it because so compact fell far only fixed focal lengths and the blurring problem in practice has little relevance.
The Sony Alpha NEX-6 (hands-on video) is unmistakably the big sister of the Sony Alpha NEX-5R (Review)and is made ​​of this by a slightly better service and better equipment from. In addition to the real good picture quality which provides up to at least ISO 3200 anytime usable recording results, the Sony Alpha NEX-6, has a very high work rate and an overall very good equipment. With almost ten frames per second - and every image format - Sony shows once again the frame rate is currently possible. In addition, the focus and the shutter lag time of fall very short.
Some points on the Sony Alpha NEX-5R (Review) are not optimal, the Sony Alpha NEX-6 makes even much better: Here are the available at the Sony Alpha NEX-6 program dial, the integrated viewfinder and the integrated to call lightning. Three features that do not want to miss a lot. And also a hot shoe is available. The camera body is very well made, and is thanks to handle well in the hand, with the flash and the high-resolution viewfinder to allow more Situations. Furthermore convince the tilting screen, the buttons and dials provide and the many configuration options. Despite the significantly better equipment, the Sony Alpha NEX-6 falls out but not much bigger. That the digital camera can also expand beyond the PlayMemories platform that brings at least one software-based security for the future. With the Wi-Fi module you are in data transmission also up to date and very flexible.
In video mode offers the Sony Alpha NEX-6 (as shots) a good to very good picture quality, 50 frames per second in AVCHD format and fast and quiet autofocus. The Sony E 16-50mm F3 0.5 to 5, 6 PZ OSS lens is optically not the best lenses, provides for its compact size really - except at close range - but a satisfactory performance from. Also, the zoom motor, absolutely not part of the standard for interchangeable lenses, just in video mode brings up points. You can almost nothing to criticize about the Sony Alpha NEX-6 So.Only the facts that the image effects can be applied only in JPEG format and PlayMemories platform currently offers only a few apps would be to call here.
Short and sweet: The Sony Alpha NEX-6 (practice) is a mirrorless system camera that can compete both in image quality and in speed and in recruitment opportunities with significantly larger digital cameras.Who wants to give despite its compact dimensions to anything, is the right place for the Sony Alpha NEX-sixth Compared to Sony Alpha NEX-5R (Review) must be noted: it is clear that "rounded" model and without doubt the best choice.
Pros & Cons for Sony Alpha NEX-6

[*]Very good image quality and high resolution at ISO 100-200 and ISO 400-800 very good
[*]Good image quality in high ISO range from ISO 1600
[*]Very well made camera case
[*]High-resolution (3.0-inch, 921,600 sub-pixels) display can be tilted up and down
[*]Very high resolution electronic viewfinder (2.36 million sub-pixels)
[*]Fn key with key settings
[*]Fast and snapshot-compatible autofocus
[*]Good full and half automatics
[*]Manual Exposure Mode available
[*]Diverse Creative and Scene Modes
[*]Good panorama mode
[*]Peaking support during manual focusing
[*]Full HD video at up to 50 frames per second (1080p50) ( that will be 60fps for USA )
[*]Good to very good image quality in video mode (see our two example videos)
[*]Fast and accurate autofocus in video mode
[*]Supports RAW image format possible (and of course JPEG + RAW)
[*]WLAN module for wireless communication
[*]Built-in flash (GN 6) available
[*]PlayMemories apps allow for future function expansion
[*]Compatible with all we tested memory cards up to 128GB
[*]Sony E 16-50mm F3 0.5 to 5, 6 OSS PZ: Very compact, good image quality, fast and quiet AF
[*]Sony E 16-50mm F3 0.5 to 5, 6 OSS PZ: zoom motor available: Smooth zooming while filming possible
[/list]
Negatives.

[*]Sony E 16-50mm F3 0.5 to 5, 6 OSS PZ: Very strong distortion and vignetting (uncorrected)
[*]Sony E 16-50mm F3 0.5 to 5, 6 OSS PZ: Strong blurring in the vicinity (in practice hardly relevant)
[*]Until now only a few PlayMemories apps available, some also charge
[*]Image effects available in JPEG image format
[/list]

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I know this is hard for people to believe, but my opinion is that no matter how much you want them to be, Cameras and Lenses are not investments. They are tools designed to be used, that sometimes break, that sometimes get stolen, and will be worth a fraction of their cost at best when you have outgrown them or that history has passed them by.By what you need and can afford. Buy from a reputable vendor. Don't go nuts comparison shopping. Take care of it, learn it, grow with it. And never look at another review again.(Says the guy with the d4, amirite?)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also: waiting a few weeks for a next generation camera to replace a current model? Perfectly sane.Waiting two months to save 5% on teh purchase of a now two month closer to obsolescent camera? Crazy talk.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree with Sam. Camera bodies especially will lose their value quickly. Quality lenses, though, do hold their value (at least SLR lenses do). So, if you are "investing" in a new camera system, I would consider the body disposable, but not be as concerned about being able to get your money back from any lenses you purchase. I have Canon lenses that are worth more now than when I purchased them, but every DSLR body I've owned had lost over half its value by the time I sold it.

If there is a system that interests you and meets your needs and budget, buy it now unless you know a new model will be coming out soon. A camera you own takes much better pictures than a rumor.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Michael_K_Sr said:
Can't recall ever seeing a plain camera body on sale. The only sales I ever see are for packages that come with kit lenses.
Amazon has the camera body for sale and allows you to pick your lenses, useful if you want some prime lens and don't want the kit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would also check out Adorama and B&H Photo for pricing. I have purchased all my camera gear from either those two sites or Amazon. Adorama and B&H both have great customer service and very competitive prices.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
FoxyMulder said:
Amazon has the camera body for sale and allows you to pick your lenses, useful if you want some prime lens and don't want the kit.

Missed my point. I know you can purchase a body separately. That's how I've acquired every one of my Nikon bodies. But you are almost never going to see a decent discount on the body only. Amazon is selling the NEX-6 body for a dollar under list. I suppose technically that's a discount, but not in most people's eyes.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Michael_K_Sr said:
Missed my point. I know you can purchase a body separately. That's how I've acquired every one of my Nikon bodies. But you are almost never going to see a decent discount on the body only. Amazon is selling the NEX-6 body for a dollar under list. I suppose technically that's a discount, but not in most people's eyes.
I agree, at Amazon UK the Nikon D5200 with the standard kit lens is only £30 more than the body only model, not a great deal.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The rational part of me agrees. The lizard brain thinks you're all nuts :) this is an expensive (gadget) purchase, and such purchases must be fully optimized (there's a TED talk about this from five years ago) and so the research and sale hunting begins. If I were rational, I'd buy the Lumix G5 that's on sale for $399. But I'm not, and so I'm watching a $900 camera with $1000 lens options and hoping for a starter kit sale that is attractive. My big anxiety is that I honestly don't have a practical notion of how this camera compares to a super zoom or even point and shoot at half or a quarter the cost. Or an iPhone 5 for that matter. And i hate spending a thousand bucks with insufficient information. There are great reviews. But they don't have pictures from a $2000 camera next to $1000 camera next to a $500 all in one. (And my wife will kill me if I buy her three cameras and tell her to do a comparo, and I'll pay a 15% restocking fee to return the two she doesn't like)A camera may not be an "investment". But it's a big purchase that's got to last five or more years, and dictates how I might spend a few thousand more in accessories. Also, on an HTF dedicated to obsessive attention to pointless minutia, excessive research should be assumed :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
DaveF said:
The lizard brain thinks you're all nuts :) this is an expensive (gadget) purchase, and such purchases must be fully optimized (there's a TED talk about this from five years ago) and so the research and sale hunting begins.
There's a TED talk on the 'paradox of choice' as well, where after a point there's paralysis by analysis. :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There are great reviews. But they don't have pictures from a $2000 camera next to $1000 camera next to a $500 all in one. (And my wife will kill me if I buy her three cameras and tell her to do a comparo, and I'll pay a 15% restocking fee to return the two she doesn't like)
Have you looked at DPreview's comparison matrix on their reviews? You can pick three cameras they have reviewed against the one you're researching.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-nex-6/21

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
If you go to dpreview you can view (and download) sample images side-by-side against any other camera they have previously reviewed.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DaveF said:
The rational part of me agrees.The lizard brain thinks you're all nuts :) this is an expensive (gadget) purchase, and such purchases must be fully optimized (there's a TED talk about this from five years ago) and so the research and sale hunting begins.If I were rational, I'd buy the Lumix G5 that's on sale for $399. But I'm not, and so I'm watching a $900 camera with $1000 lens options and hoping for a starter kit sale that is attractive.My big anxiety is that I honestly don't have a practical notion of how this camera compares to a super zoom or even point and shoot at half or a quarter the cost. Or an iPhone 5 for that matter. And i hate spending a thousand bucks with insufficient information. There are great reviews. But they don't have pictures from a $2000 camera next to $1000 camera next to a $500 all in one. (And my wife will kill me if I buy her three cameras and tell her to do a comparo, and I'll pay a 15% restocking fee to return the two she doesn't like)A camera may not be an "investment". But it's a big purchase that's got to last five or more years, and dictates how I might spend a few thousand more in accessories.Also, on an HTF dedicated to obsessive attention to pointless minutia, excessive research should be assumed :D
The German site i linked to does have comparisons, you will find the Nikon D5200 and indeed NEX cameras are far superior to the superzooms when you put a good prime lens on them, even their starter kit lens are better than the superzooms and point and shoot cameras, you can shoot high ISO with NEX or Nikon and get great images, the Canon cameras are overrated, great controls but not as good as the Nikon or NEX.

The bottom line though is what are you going to do with the pictures, if you want to print large, crop images and get great quality then get a DSLR with an expensive prime lens, if you want to print at up to 10x8 and images onto the web then a superzoom such as Fuji's HS50 is in my opinion better than the Canon equivalent superzoom and is cheaper than a DSLR.

Look at that Dxo site and it compares the lenses you can get for the DSLR's, many lenses are inferior, do not produce great sharpness, take that into consideration, to get the most of some of these DSLR cameras requires spending a lot on the best lens, having said all that you will still get better quality with the kit lens than you would with the superzoom and point and shoot cameras, it just comes down to the question of do you need it, will the superzoom be good enough for you.

With photoshop and other such programs you can add manipulate the image from a superzoom and make it look really good, to me i think photography is a creative art, doesn't matter too much about the camera, if you are good you will take great images regardless of whether you use a superzoom, point and shoot or a DSLR, i'd go as far as to say get a Fuji HS50 and a Nikon D5200 and use both.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Guess what? Even a shitty $89 throwaway digicam can take 'nice' pictures these days. High image quality is a commodity. You pay more for:FeaturesPortabilityErgonomicsBrand name trustYou seriously cannot tell which camera shot what these days by IQ alone.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Posten said:
Guess what? Even a shitty $89 throwaway digicam can take 'nice' pictures these days. High image quality is a commodity. You pay more for:FeaturesPortabilityErgonomicsBrand name trustYou seriously cannot tell which camera shot what these days by IQ alone.
I have seen images from a Nokia camera phone that look amazing, having said that, the ability to shoot in low light thanks to a high ISO means much less noisy images and having 24 megapixels to play with does give more flexibility when it comes to cropping.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
FoxyMulder said:
I have seen images from a Nokia camera phone that look amazing, having said that, the ability to shoot in low light thanks to a high ISO means much less noisy images and having 24 megapixels to play with does give more flexibility when it comes to cropping.
That is why I mentioned the Lumia 925 earlier.Hell, even my LG L9 is 90% of the camera(image wise) as my 2yo, really good, Sony P&S. The only issue with the L9 is when I blow it up to 8x10. The mere fact I tried 8x10 with a cell phone is a testament to today, nothing is lousy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sony NEX-6 is top of the list. But I'm considering a quick blind purchase of a last-year camera on clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks