What's new

Camera Recomendation (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong Like Scott, I rarely use mine (for Nikon), but there are occasions where I do use it -- and it's so affordable that it's one lens I (and most others) don't mind owning even though I don't use it much. Personally, I find either 28mm or 35mm along w/ 85mm more interesting/useful and would suggest checking those primes out in the future.
I'll second Man's recommendation for an 85mm prime as a future consideration (but not to start out). I bought a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens a few months ago, and really love it. The focal length works well in my kit, the auto focus is smooth and quick, and the image quality is outstanding for a lens at this price point ($380, plus $20ish for the hood).

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
We were in Sam's club yesterday and they had a Cannon EOS Rebel XS package for $650. It came with the camera, an EFS 18-55 lens, an EFS 75-300 lens, 2gb memory and carrying bag. BB wanted $750 for basically the same thing so we purchased it. When we got home to look at it, we discovered that the camera was not in the box.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Wow, Dave. I'm late to the thread, didn't realize how long ago you started it. When I saw the $1800+ package you bought, I said to myself, "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

I'm glad you returned it, but I'm curious as to how smoothly the exchange went.

The Canon you ended up with was a good choice. The two lenses she has will suffice for a good long while. Make it clear to her that there will be no talk of upgrades until she's learned to use these two to their fullest potential; she may get bored fairly quickly and get bit by the upgrade bug. I'd steer her toward a 50 f/1.8 when the time is right. Everyone should own (and appreciate) a prime lens.

My only other suggestion is a decent external flash (I'm a Nikon guy, so I cannot make a specific recommendation). Then have her learn to use it off-camera. This will open up a whole new world.

One more thing: Once she's familiar with the basic controls, see that she learns to shoot in aperture-priority, shutter-priority or manual. Shooting in automatic (or any of the so-called custom modes) severely limits your growth as a photographer.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Jon

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Jon_Are

I'm glad you returned it, but I'm curious as to how smoothly the exchange went.
We were able to cancel the order before it shipped so it was not much trouble.

I am interested to see how she progresses with this camera.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As for other camera recommendations, the Nikon D3S is now in stock at B& and Amazon if anyone has $5200 to burn or needs a tax dodge you are welcome to buy one for me for Christmas!

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks