What's new

Cambridge audio topaz cd10 or Marantz cc4003?? (1 Viewer)

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I am looking into purchasing a new cd player but I am stuck on the two choices cambridge or marantz. Does anyone have any experience with these? I am looking for a warmer sound. Would rather have the 5 disk changer for occasional listening but it depends on the sound differences between the two. I have heard the marantz can be harsh at times.Dont want that.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I know you said you've narrowed it down to those two cd players but have you thought about a universal dvd player for DVD-A and SACD? Just thought I'd bring it up.
Electronic components at this price level shouldn't be much different from one-another but I have the marantz 4003 and imediately came to the same conclusion. I thought it was pretty bright. I haven't owned anything from Cambridge Audio so I can't comment but it's S/N ratio is only 95 db. I switched over to an Integra DPT-1 301 disc dvd player for most of my cd playing. Bought 2 of them off ebay. One for $150 (over-paid for it) and a practically new one for $100. It actually has a higher S/N ratio, 115 db vs. 110 db for the 4003. Marantz, Onkyo and I think Yamaha also have similar mega-changers which are all based off the Pioneer DV-F07.
I had the Marantz VC-6001 5 disc dvd changer and thought it was a very nice player. It's only available used now but one in real good condition should only cost about $125-$150. It's basically the same as the yamaha C-950 but the Yamaha's user interface is actually is a bit better. I also had a yamaha C-750 Universal dvd changer a few years ago. The Yamaha's should be cheaper. You pay a premium for the marantz name.
If a you're looking for a cd only player then also consider the Harman Kardon HD990 (Amazon $349) http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page2/B00413OXM8_HD990specsheet.pdf
and the Emotiva ERC-2 ($449 but often on sale for $349). http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/sources/products/erc2
If you really want good 2 channel audio than think about a stereo pre-amp like the Emotiva USP-1 or Parasound 2100. http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/usp1

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
THANK YOU FOR THAT GREAT RESPONSE! I have also been looking at universal players such as the cambridge 751bd. I wanted a multi-disk player for just casual listening so I wouldnt have to keep changing disk over and over. I am so glad you told me about the marantz I almost pulled the trigger on it. The guy I was talking to at crutchfield was trying to steer me in another direction (about the marantz) without losing me as a potential buyer. Now I think it comes down to the hk or cambridge. I just don't like harsh bright sounds.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
I have a denon 988 with a nad t955 amp. Running 2 energy rc-70's up front, rclcr center, rc-50's in the rear. A hsu stf-2 sub. I have been reading about the harmon kardon hd990 and have heard about lots of issues of vibrating and skipping. No complaints about the sound ugh! Something always seems to spoil a good thing lol!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That's too bad. I haven't looked at it lately but it got real good reviews when it came out. Something always spoiles the party.
Well, it looks like you have the right speakers for the sound quality you're looking for.
And how were you going to hook the player to the receiver, analog or digital? The 4003 is much brighter through the analog connection than the digital. I've been switching back and forth and it's quite a difference. Through the digital connection there shouldn't be much, if any, difference in sound quality between players in the same price range.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
BTW, don't want to cause Crutchfield to lose a sale but I bought my 4003 from ac4l.com as a refurb for $249. Looks and works great. An extended warranty is available for those nervous about buying refurbs. If it's just for casual lisening then I'd look for a good older used 5 disc Marantz or Yamaha. The yamaha should be found for $50-$100 the Marantz a little more.
Or how about the Denon DCM-390 for $129? http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDCM390/DENON-DCM-390-5-Disc-CD-Carousel-w/Built-in-HDCD-Decoding/1.html
The DCM-290 is only $87.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
What processor are you using? If your marantz sounds brighter via analog then your dac's in your processor are better than those in the cd player. I will be running my cd player by analog. I'm glad you told me about the marantz because I was kind of afraid of that lol! I think I am going to go with the cambridge audio player with the wolfsan dac's. I hear those dac's are very impressive.
http://www.needledoctor.com/Cambridge-Audio-Topaz-CD10-CD-Player
I think I am headed in the right direction. I also heard the Nad c 515bee is pretty awesome as well.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I use a Marantz 5005 receiver with the 4003 cd player. I also have a UD 7006 Bluray player and it doesn't seem as bright through the analogs as the 4003 does but I'm going to give it a listen again to verify.

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
If you really want a warm sounding CD player try the Jolida it has tubes in it...don't worry the tubes last a long time.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
1000.00 for a cd player is a little over my budget right now. I am trying to decide between the cambridge audio topaz cd10 and the nad c 515bee. Anyone have any experience with these 2? The nad has really good reviews. I am stuck between these two players. The nad is 300.00 shipped at spearit sound. The cambridge is 349.00 shipped.

vespa

Agent
Real Name
Doug Lane
The nad c 245bee is also discounted at spearit sound for 389.00 what to do lol???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks