What's new

Calvin & Hobbes question (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't matter Robert. Watterson said the issue hasn't been decided by him. Our views, debates, etc. are completely inconsequential. We can't decide the rules of this world, only Watterson can. It doesn't matter if you analyze ever stip, if Watterson said his intention was one thing, that's what it was.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
To me, the whole point of "Calvin and Hobbes" is the relationships Calvin has with other people/things, especially Hobbes. Ever notice that Hobbes not only gets Calvin into trouble, but he acts as sort of a "consience" at times too. In my view, only what Calvin "sees" in his world is of importance to him, the day dreams, Spaceman Spiff, Stupendous Man, etc. I think the only time Calvin gets any real dose of reality is when he's at school, or with Rosalyn, the baby sitter. The greatness of "Calvin and Hobbes" is that it entertains everyone, adults and children alike, even though Calvin isn't a very good role model for today's kids. Too many strips these days try to bee too silly or too sophisticated. Luckily "Calvin and Hobbes" accomplishes both.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
SO is Hobbes really Tyler Durden?
No, Kaiser Sozye. :D

And Calvin can't be judged by the standards of this world, since we only see a part of his life (his imaginative life, mostly, which is mostly lived when he's alone) in the strip. Waterson even said that introducing the Mom's brother into the strip was a mistake, because it tied the strip too much to the adult, "real", world, and that wasn't the world that he wanted to explore. That's why neither the mother nor the father has a name, and why the father's job is never really defined - they don't matter to Calvin, so they don't matter to the strip. Sheesh, next we'll be analyzing Peanuts. Seriously, Dr. Freud, sometimes a comic strip is just a comic strip. :)

Regards,

Joe

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so can someone post a link that works.
those who have a website that reprints the strip.

i would love to read these again.

currently i'm reading the reprinted bloom couty strips, paying a $10 per sub rate but well worth it.

edit...

ok it's the samesite that is running the bloom county.

and calvin and hobbes just started on nov 18th.
i cant believe they don't send out a note to people about these things.

www.mycomicspage.com

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I pop into After Hours and get to read about three things I hold very dear to my heart:

Calvin & Hobbes
The Far Side
Bloom County
(If it's me you're asking, these are the three best comic strips, like, ever.)

Thanks for the fun thread, fellas. I've always been essentially enchanted by C & H since I first laid eyes on the strip. Such a brilliant combination of artistry, fantasy, humor and heart is hard to come across very often.

Mr. Watterson should be quite proud of the work he's done. And good for him on the whole licensing thing; it's refreshing to see an artist refuse to take the easy cash if it means bastardizing his beloved creations. Nice to know there's a little sincerity still out there.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
why the father's job is never really defined
Actually Calvin's father's job is quite well-defined - he's a patent attorney. It says so in the strip on numerous occasions, such as the bedtime story about the evil infringer. I think about this all the time since I'm a patent attorney too. In my household Fluffy Pumpkin definately has the Hobbes role down pat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks