What's new

Call of Duty (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Just curious if anyone knew anything about this game Multiplayer wise? I've played both demos a great amount and fell in love with them but I'm just praying that the multiplayer is nothing like Medal of Honor. Also, does anyone know the release date of this product?
Thanks

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
the "kill view" thing looks pretty cool... go to pc.ign.com and they have some newer movies showing it off... no more camping, yay.
~Brice

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
That killcam in COD looks sweet! Maybe will help in stuffing cheater accusations, or even pointing them out.

Oh and it looks like the sniping will be fun, still has that Allied Assault feel to it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Chad: This game looks to be one of the best FPSes out there, IMO. I'm really excited for it, and I can't wait until this Wednesday (the 29th), which is when it comes out. There's a lot of interviews about multiplayer, there are modes similar to team play, free-for-all, capture the flag, etc. There's already some people bitching about the kill-cam over at callofduty.org, but personally I like the idea, and I'm sure the server admins can turn it on or off.

Dono-B

Auditioning
It was very nice and its like MOH taken to the extreme. It doesnt seem like anything unique but as its fun thats what counts!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Dono-B: The similarity to MoH is no coincidence. More than 20 members of the MoH:AA development team, including all the production leads, left EA to form their own company and struck a deal with Activision. I imagine much the same thing happened with the MoH:Frontline console folks, who also formed their own company (Spark Unlimited).

On top of all this, the Call of Duty team got a Hollywood writer in to come up with a less generic storyline, hired Jason Statham and Giovanni Ribisi to do some voices, and modified the bejeezus out of the Return to Castle Wolfenstein engine. It may seem like another WW2 FPS, but it really emphasizes the squad aspect of play, so it's not just you against the whole German army. Several times in the demo, I felt like the NPCs had my back and vice versa.

It'll be interesting to see how Call of Duty goes up against MoH:Pacific Assault. I actually intend to get both, unless I hear horrible things about PA. They emphasize different things, and are placed in different theatres of operations. Both games are coming out for PC and consoles, although I imagine MP would be better on the PC versions.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I went to Best Buy, 2 EB's and CompUSA and no one had COD in. Both EB's said it was due in 10/30. :angry:

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
Very short game unfortunately, but apparently very high quality like Max Payne 2. I've decided, at least, that 6-8 hours of excellent quality beats a 12 hour game with fluff, like most are. I'll be grabbing this when it goes on sale.

The multiplayer looks good, especially the kill-cam, but it will take a lot of it to be more fun then Battlefield 1942, so I'm primarily interested in the single player campaign.

Great reviews so far.

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone get it yet. I saw on blues news that it was out on the 29th but i could not find it anywhere. I hate when that happens.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Call of Duty: Finest Hour is coming out for the consoles next year. But note: it will be a completely different game than the PC version.

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I'd throw in my two cents regarding CoD single and multi-player.

Single-player CoD:
Very nice scripting, scenarios, and unique missions. Incredibly short which is a great disappointment. I honestly prefer MoH:AA over this. MoH:AA seems to just have more "soul"... more "je ne sais pas" to me.

Multi-player CoD:
I'm a die-hard MoH:AA w/ CKR realism mod player. What I wanted and what I was expecting was MoH:AA w/CKR 2. What we got was multi-player Return to Castle Wolfenstien 2, IMO.
The general gameplay seems floaty/cartoony like RTCW, which is understandable given that its based off that engine. I'm biased. I'll admit that.

CoD has many flaws and problems as well.
- bunny hopping
- poor quality grenades (and too many of them)
- the Kill-Cam + being able to follow anyone after you die (which totally destroys the challenge of finding the bastard the next round and makes team vs. team irrelevant when you can report where people are)
- unrefined maps (when compared to MoH:AA) which seem to be either massive snipe-fests that favor one side or closed-in messes which favor one side (and which require the other side to basically rush and pray that they get past a certain point or get spammed by nades).
- Search and Destroy maps which end when time runs out yet a bomb may still be ticking. They also end when the defender defuses a bomb, which doesn't make sense either as they are meant to defend the objectives for the time alotted.
- being able to wield two weapons plus your pistol and grenades (one plus pistol and grenades plus you can pick up another main weapon) and lots of ammo mean that you almost never end up having to depend on pistol-whipping because you wasted your ammo. And your choice of weapon doesn't generally have a consequence since you can always pick up a dead guy's weapon. In addition, weapon switching is too quick.
- jumping on top of another person will likely end up in you dying.
- aiming seems to be off on some rifles.

Some of these problems can or will be addressed by a patch soon, I hope. Some others may be addressed by mod makers. There is already a CKR mod in beta which makes CoD act more like MoH:AA. Time will tell if it matures to a better product. Oh, and be sure to read the EULA as it seems that you are granting Activision all rights to anything you create (mods, models, maps, etc) for CoD. For shame.

I had hoped that CoD multi-player would be revolutionary rather than evolutionary but it just isn't there.

Where are interesting things like:
- stamina effects - no more running constantly like a sprinter or jumping like a rabbit while wearing gear and weapons of 50+ lbs weight.
- truly customizing your character with a unique face, model, armor, scars, etc.
- intelligent AI commanders who can actively command or reroute players, prehaps granting them bonuses by having them around? (Would require larger maps with multiple objectives perhaps)
- experience based on amount of time played which may confer bonuses to accuracy (within reason), titles (private, seargant, major, whatever), etc.

In short, CoD has lots of potential but wastes alot of it in the unpatched boxed product.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Great review Drue. :emoji_thumbsup:

AA is still the king of multiplayer and arcade sniper fun. A blooming reticule is NEVER fun (to me anyways) since this leaves firefights more to chance than skill. No one stops and waits to aim when the enemy is coming at you several yards away.

If they wanted to be realistic they should have made jumping around a lot harder, it's too quick and effective to avoid enemy fire. I always thought it was dumb to see people jumping around in FPS's, especially a WWII one.

Oh and the level designs are blah (I want my V2!), there's too many open spaces. The weapon sounds are weak and puny. The in-game speech commands are too few. Just doesn't have the soul and depth of MOH, I hate to compare but considering Infinity Ward did a lot of AA they would have done much better on a new game of the same type.

On the positive side I do like:

- the prone positions
- Slick overall presentation
- Next to no lag in multiplayer
- ducking automatically makes you walk (for stealth)

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick note to those of you going out to purchase this game for the weekend. A number of copies did not get the CD Key sticker applied to the Jewel Case.

Activision will not provide you a CD key, so you will need to go back to the retailer to exchange the product.

Valuable lesson learned for me today. I'll be checking the boxes out before I leave the store.:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks