What's new

Call of Duty - Sucessor to Medal of Honor? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen the hype on this game? Basically, most of the staff that was working on the Medal of Honor series (including most of the leads) broke from the company to start their own companies (Infinity Ward in charge of the PC side, and Spark Publishing working on the console versions). Now, they're making another WWII-era game, called Call of Duty, that looks awesome. It's set in four different campaign settings with three viewpoints (American, Russian, and British). A lot of the single-hero type action is toned-down, so that working with AI squads is to your benefit.

Judging by the hands-on and interviews on IGN and Gamespot, this looks like it could be a spectacular game--if they can live up to their promises. I know that Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (set in the Pacific) is also coming out soon, and I'm watching that development as well. But, seeing as how the majority of the people (even including the wonderful composer, Michael Giacchino*) have jumped ship, I'm wondering if it will hold up. Anyone else as intrigued as I am? Also, does anyone know if Steven Spielburg will be executive producing either of these, as he did with MOH?

*Composer for MOH from the beginning to Frontline, as well as the TV show Alias:emoji_thumbsup: .

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm keeping an eye on it -- and it looks promising -- but I'm not ready to hand over the title yet. We'll see.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
There is a ton of military games coming out in the next year, and it's difficult to keep track of them all. They certainly look like they could be near the top of the heap...

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I've got my fingers crossed. I loved MOH on the pc, and I can only hope this will be as good.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
My clanmates & I await this game too. I saw the vids a while ago and the only thing I don't like right off the bat is the blooming reticule that moves when you move. Hopefully there'll be a mod to keep it steady.

Oh and there's another expansion pack coming out for MOH.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Don't know much about the game but they had the best 'character' actors at E3.

Dang this guy was good. And that is a real expression by the way. He grabbed my hair and yanked my head back. :D
Take a look.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Yeah it was a pretty sweet show. Best part was when he would go up behind people that were playing the game then start trash talking them in German. Bet he would be a fun guy to have at a LAN party. :D

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Activision has released a statement saying that the demo will be available for download on fan and gaming sites, including Gamespy's FilePlanet, sometime early tonight. I would just hang out on a few gaming forums for breaking news; once it hits the fan, all hell will break loose. ;)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
The demo is out , and from what I played , it blows the doors off of Medal of Honor. The graphics and sound are incredible! The visuals are leaps and bounds better than MOH. Best of all, you get the feeling that you are part of something big, not just one guy against the world. Oh, I downloaded it over at Avault incase anyone is wondering.

Marc.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Looks like a great game, has taken me a little time getting used to aiming system though. MY only complaint is the AI of your comrades. They cross your fire a lot of the time and it just feels like they aren't free thinking units. Seems like everything was scripted. Anyways, definitely worth a try I say.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
The enemy AI is really outstanding. German soldiers manning an AA gun, when attacked , will abandon the gun and take cover. The good AI can make for some long firefights if you don't have any grenades left. Enemies manning MG42 positions will kill you pretty quickly if your not careful, once you draw their fire. Simply charging enemy positions will get you gunned down pretty fast. With that being said, your squadmates aren't nearly as smart. They will keep fire on a position but don't seem to have very good marksmanship. Then again, if they did, you wound't have any reason for playing I guess.

A great demo that leaves you wanting more!

Marc.

Peter_A

Second Unit
Just finished playing the demo and it was all right. The AI was not that spectacular, the enemies pop their heads up pretty predictably. Good graphics and sound but it all just seems like more of the same....

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
If one of your buddies is in your way, put your crosshairs on them and click...you won't shoot them, but they will move for you.

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
Ok my lil review....

Its indeed got fantastic atmosphere, the graphics are a step up from the other WW2 games, nice textures used, liked all the little touches going on around me. The shell shock was a nice touch, and how the unit actually moved with more of a purpose than other games was nice. I also thought the enemy AI was very good. They would actually really try to avoid being hit.

However, I found while, it looked cool, the muzzle flash from EVERY weapon would obscure my view, thus making it very hard to aim properly at what I wished to hit. I would have to shoot one bullet at a time, even if it was the SMG. Yes I know they are going for realism, and it was at night.

I am also not a huge fan of the blooming recticle, and the prone, crouch, to stand would def take some getting used to.

Grenades: They give you 10!! That's a bit too many, plus you can unload all 10 in about 5 seconds, so that would mean massive nade spamming (boooo) Also, you can't cook the nade, or toss them underhand.

There is also no "walk" mode so as to be silent.

I finished the demo now on every level, but the hardest so far, used all the weapons (there are 25 that I know of) etc.

It's a very cool game, and I am sure in single player will be well worth it. However, because of that muzzle flash, and the nade issues, and the missing walk, I am a little concerned about multiplayer.

All in all though a really nice effort, and look forward to it's release.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Where are the snipers? :frowning: Looks like MOHAA will still own in this area. Maybe even in the stealth dept. too... As for the nade spam I'm sure the count will be set to 2-3 online.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
The demo was awesome, and looked great. If anyone has seen Band of Brothers, it was more like that (I'm sure that was their intent, especially if Spielberg is Exec. Prod. like he was for the MOH series), than Saving Private Ryan. I'm a big fan of the squad-based combat, but stuff like the reticle got on my nerves. The stances were very cool, I liked being able to belly-crawl or hide behind dead cows.
Where are the snipers? Looks like MOHAA will still own in this area. Maybe even in the stealth dept. too
Call of Duty isn't supposed to be about the "lone-wolf" strategy that MOH is known for. You're playing average paratroopers and conscripts, not those with special spy training (i.e. Jimmy Patterson of MOH). I'm sure you can be a sniper if you want to, but the gameplay seems more focused on working with your comrades-in-arms than taking on the entire Eastern Front by yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks