What's new

Calibration of Panasonic TC-P65VT60. (1 Viewer)

carlito71

Auditioning
I was wondering if anyone had suggested calibration settings for the new VT60 display from Panasonic. I really like this new panel. The overall picture quality is amazing. I am just looking to dial in the settings for that perfect home theater experience. There are so many settings in the pro settings menu, that honestly I am completely at a loss. As I am very much a beginner at calibration, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The two most important things to know about display calibration are:

1) Settings will be entirely unique to your display and environment. What works for one person won't translate to another (i.e. you can't "copy" the numbers from one display to another and get the same results).
2) You can't calibrate a display "by eye".

At the absolute minimum, you should disable any artificial image "enhancements" that add processing to the picture. At least with a plasma display, you have fewer to worry about, but anything that CAN be turned off SHOULD be turned off (IMO).

Next, you should choose a preset picture mode such as "cinema", or "movie" (THX if your display offers it). This will most likely be the closest "out of the box" preset to a properly calibrated picture (but it still may not even be close, really).

Next, consider getting a calibration disc with test patterns, etc. that you can use to dial your set in even further. Amazon has a few options, and I believe Netflix even offers one or two.

That would get you farther along than a vast majority of the general population, and would satisfy many of the forum regulars.

Finally, you can take it to the ultimate level and have a professional come to your house and use very expensive equipment and their technical expertise to get the very last ounce of performance from your display. These calibrations can cost several hundred dollars, and only you can determine if it's a worthwhile investment.

carlito71

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice. I was considering the purchase of a calibration blu-ray. I guess I will go ahead and pick one up. The display already has two THX settings, both of which look great. However, it is like you pointed out, everyone's environment is different, so settings for someone else's setup might not necessarily work in your situation. Is there a particular calibration disc you would recommend? Thanks again for the advice.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
carlito71 said:
Thanks for the advice. I was considering the purchase of a calibration blu-ray. I guess I will go ahead and pick one up. The display already has two THX settings, both of which look great. However, it is like you pointed out, everyone's environment is different, so settings for someone else's setup might not necessarily work in your situation. Is there a particular calibration disc you would recommend? Thanks again for the advice.
Spears and Munsil 2nd edition, it's the only one which offers a 3D calibration feature.

Your televisions THX feature already has the basics under control, advanced calibration requires a bit more work, you need software and a calibration meter for that, an example of a popular model is in the link below.

http://www.chromapure.co.uk/details.asp?id=254&type=products

carlito71

Auditioning
That is the one it will be then. I had heard Disney's wow disc was good, but from the reviews on amazon, the spears and munsil gets higher ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks