What's new

Calibration and shipping (1 Viewer)

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Forum

I will go to the ISF cert training in a few months. I do not live in the USA and I will be the only ISF-certified where I live ;)I am building a HT and need my display device to be ISF calibrated.

I am leaning toward a DLP PJ but RPTV are so cheap and so good these days that I may go that route. I do not care at all about CRTs front PJs, I think their days are numbered....

For the Front PJ, I have three projectors in the run, they are not listed in order of Preference..

NEC HT 1000
Screenplay 7200
Screenplay LS 110 (my budget is very tight)

The screen will be an 8 feet-wide Firehawk 16:9

For RPTV, RCA Scenium 61

Can I have my display device calibrated and shipped to me me? Has this been done before? We have here 120 VAC and 60 Hz just like the USA

Let me know..Thanks

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I guess I'm missing something. Wouldn't you be able to do the calibration once you take the class (or at least try; experience does count)? Do you plan on investing in the appropriate calibration equipment? What is your motivation for taking the class?

As for a pre-delivery calibration, this may not be a good idea. Shipping can throw everything out of whack, esp for a CRT-based RPTV. A DLP pj may not be too bad from a shipping perspective, but I don't know for sure. Also, I understand that calibration is sensitive to the source device (e.g., DVD player), so you'd want the display calibrated with your player connected.

Others should be able to provide add'l feedback.

Doug

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
The reason is that I will take the class in September. I do not want to wait that long for my HT.

Frantz

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
Part of my calibration was mechanical focus. I would think shipping would just knock this out again.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
I don't think that mechanical focus is that big of an issue with a digital projector. It can be dialed in in about 30 seconds. ;) Of course, if he buys the RPTV it will require quite a bit of work.

Frantz,

Get real man!! Your system will still be useable if the display hasn't been ISF calibrated. A simple run through with AVIA or Video Essentials will give you an image that is quite pleasing to the eye. Regards.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have heard reports that the HT1000, when "dialed" in to D6500K in the menu, has near-perfect grayscale tracking. However, the gamma may be lower than expected. This according to some individuals on avsforum with instrumentation.

No idea about the Infocus 7200.

The HT1000 is a 4:3 projector, although it has a 16:9 mode where it will put out a 1024x576 image to fit on a 16x9 screen. Of course, you could add an ISCO or a Panamorph anamorphic lens to it, for the same or less cost than the 7200 total.

I hope the ISF course has been revamped for digital calibration...fixing grayscale tracking is not enough for digital projectors!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks