What's new

Cables (1 Viewer)

Tommie

Agent
Hey, i wonder what kind of cables i should buy for my big front speakers... Proson Twin 2010 SA

I am thinking of 4mm with 522threads..

i have heard that the sound doesn't get much (or even better at all) just beacouse you spend 70 bucks on a few meters of cable..

DustinT

Agent

I think this depends on the person. I installed an Onkyo 600W system in my house recently and liked it with the speaker wire that came with it.

I finally started doing a clean install and ran Monster 14AWG wire to the sub. a $25 cable just to power one speaker...it's not quite long enough, but i wanted to test it because i NEVER believed that wire could make a difference.

I honestly believe my subs output has at least doubled. the sound is CRISPer, cleaner bass, and louder when i want it so. I plan to run higher quality wire to all my speakers now, although i've heard that bass notes benifit the most from higher quality cables, so i don't expect the other speakers to show quite the same results.

have fun... maybe try one speaker at a time like i did, so at least you'll know if it's worth it before you spend.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Home Depot sells good quality speaker wire in 12, 14, and 16 guage. You buy it by the foot. I have 14 ga. running to my mains and my surrounds and 12 ga. for my center (just because I had some laying around). I chose the 14 guage because I have to run my wires under the carpet and the 12 ga. left a noticeable hump in the carpet. Honestly, I can't tell the differnce between the 12 and 14 guage but my hearing isn't what it used to be. Use 12 if you can for your fronts but 14 is fine for surrounds unless your run is over 50 ft. Then, I would recommend using the 12 ga. Heck, cheap lamp cord will even work well if your runs are short.

The best 2 ch. system i've ever heard was my fathers Sansui setup puchased in Vietnam. Less than 40 watts RMS powering those huge speakers with the wood lattice grilles. The speaker wire couldn't have been more than 18 guage and I could crank that system enough to bother the neighbors two blocks away.

My rule of thumb is to get the largest guage that will accomodate your setup. The sound difference may be negligible but in America we all know that bigger is always better!

JR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks